w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey guys,

My buddy who owns the same car as me a 2021 Mustang GT PP just got his VMP Odin installed. Making 704whp!!! However... hes having partial throttle surging issues. When he called his tuner, he said it's due to the RTR grille allowing too much air, which I find a little suspicious that a slightly more open grille is causing surge issues? Maybe I'm wrong, but is there a fix for this? He was told to put cardboard in the grille on go back to stock.

I'm also wondering if I will have the same issue putting a gen 5 whipple 3.0 stage 2 on my car as I have the Cervini C series upper and lower grille.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The tuner can't tune. Simple as that (most of the time).

Not the first time VMP could not make a coyote run like it's supposed to.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Well the VMP tune was shit, so he went with another guy that datalog tuned it. So the tune hes on now is daryl wingards tune.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This can and does happen the air going over the air filter can cause a turbulence effect and cause a surge. I would suggest you put the cardboard where he said to put it and drive it and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
We can try that, however when you spend $$ on a grille you don't necessarily want to put cardboard in it and make the car look like trash. My thinking is if thats truly the only solution then no one would be running an aftermarket grille on a supercharged mustang. This is just my thinking, I could be wrong.

Sponsored

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Could it be the intake design? Tune? Has anyone had these issues with Whipple or is this a VMP flaw?

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
You have to block off most of the airway. It happens to mine. I use a square of cardboard and at track just take it out. It happens to whipple cars too with open grilles

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hmm, so even with a custom dyno tune this issue would exist? Seems like whipple is talking about their tune.

But if this is the case, is there a way to block some air off without making the grille look like crap?

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Wengerd isn't the only tuner who has experienced issues with this. He's actually one of the better ones so I'd suggest your friend do as advised or put the stock grille back on. @jhunt47 pretty much covered the issue.

Definitely sucks but I'd rather have a working, healthy FI set-up over a grille. Admittedly, I was looking at grille options but once I committed to FI I saw mentions of open grilles causing issues during my readings/watches. Narrowed my aftermarket contenders to designs with similar air flow as the stock unit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
What about blocking off some of the intake box opening instead? Or even placing a piece of air filter material on the end with a mesh screen covering? Keep the looks and reduce airflow.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Wow.

Op asked about a super common problem, gets tons of accurate answers from the forum members trying to help him

But it seems useless as the Op doesn’t like the answers, regardless if they are accurate.

To all those who have help this guy, thank you.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Wow.

Op asked about a super common problem, gets tons of accurate answers from the forum members trying to help him

But it seems useless as the Op doesn’t like the answers, regardless if they are accurate.

you-cant-fix-stupid--10f1e.png

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So im stupid and ignorant for having a discussion on possible solutions? I guess I'm the asshole because I got 1 suggestion of put cardboard in a grille and thats that... whereas there's plenty of folks running FI applications with aftermarket grilles and have never heard of that. So yeah God forbid I would like alternate options or opinions.

To add the Shelby super snake mustang runs a whipple with a more open "aftermarket grille" no cardboard, there's another well written write-up of an 850hp whipple mustang with a cervini grille, no mention of cardboard. But I suppose if you guys were to say that 5.0 coyotes run best on a mix of sugar and gas I should take your word for it too.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Wow.

I get it though. OP said it was his friends' ride so he'd like to be able to bring him a solution but unfortunately, we're reinforcing what the tuner advised (go figure). I know the grille is $200-250 but I'd much rather my $10-11k FI set-up work.
Sponsored