Sponsored

Strong, Loud Idle

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK, kind of a dumb, cheesy thread just to have a conversation, but, here goes....

It’s easy to get our cars (or any new car) loud and a quality loud sound going down the road, but these things never have that loud strong sound or vibe at idle. You know, like old pushrod v-8 muscle cars?! Is it even possible to achieve that? Removing the cats I assume helps a little, but I’m guessing with all the fancy variable valve timing and the like, even with 12:1 compression, there’s just not enough cylinder pressure at idle to achieve what I’m referring to. Have heard a couple blown cars that have this, but never seem to run across any n/a cars.

An example...I’m sure we all agree a cold start on this car is a glorious thing. Loud, strong, shakes the pictures on the wall in the house. But after that first 3-4 minutes and the idle drops, it changes drastically. That effect I’m referring to and love so much is now gone. How do you keep that?
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I wanted that, but I just figured it's not the nature of our car. Pushrods are strong, lazy down low motors. We make power where a pushrod has long stopped revving. Can't have cake and eat it too.

Ford teased a non-performance tune for the GT350 when it was first released to change the idle, among other things I can't remember, but as you can see it never came to fruition which is a bummer.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
You want old school cam lope get an old school pushrod car.

Remember that old school cam lope was because the car was fast not because it was cool to make noise...

Loud noise doesn't make your car faster...

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Jimmeny F$&@ing Krickets dude...dramatic much? It was intended to be a fun conversation. Chill.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
My dealer hooked me up with a rough idle for my 350, just left the sensors on back of the intake unplugged...viola, chop chop

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The VVT is doing the right thing. Smooth idle and adjusts the cam timing to make that top end power. If there was no VVT, there would be a compromise somewhere...and emissions.

I categorize ghost cam idles along with the trend of adding extra (excessive) pops and bangs. It's an unneeded "look at me" add-on. I'll pass.

While I'm at it:
(5) WOO WOO CAR WHISTLE INTERVIEW - YouTube

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
A tuner can do that for you (or at least they can on the GT).

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wasn't so much talking about the cam/lope sound like a ghost tune. Even then, I think the cars get quiet at idle because you still have so little cylinder pressure from the variable cam timing...I think.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A lot of this is actually in the exhaust setup. Buddy of mine cracked a weld in cat delete pipes yesterday so the driver bank was essentially just headers. It sounded like old school muscle. Loud on idle, .etc
Sponsored