Sponsored

California loud exhaust.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Years ago, my friend had an E46 M3 with an aftermarket exhaust that had been tested by the manufacturer at a certified test station and shown to be below the 95db limit. A LEO who thought it was too loud pulled him over and gave him a fix-it ticket. He had to go to a referee station to get it tested then had to get his ticket signed off. So, while he was ultimately vindicated, he wasted a bunch of his time proving it. It’s not like the cops reimburse people for the time they waste.

That is why I would 1) not install an exhaust any louder than stock and 2) have installed the AWE Switchpath. That way I can always keep the car in quiet (even at WOT) around town and keep the loud mode for autox and track (other than Laguna).
Sponsored

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
People are talking like cops are going to pull over any car that is making noise on the street. The law has always been in place, Its just no longer a fix it ticket. As long as youre respectful on the road, Cops leave you alone.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
People are talking like cops are going to pull over any car that is making noise on the street. The law has always been in place, Its just no longer a fix it ticket. As long as youre respectful on the road, Cops leave you alone.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 in sport mode is a LOUD car when driven.

-T
When I first heard a GT350 on the road I was sitting outside on a patio at a local bar. A 350R rolled up and honestly didn't take off that hard from the intersection. I thought immediately "holy shit, how am I not getting pulled over?"

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
I drive in sport mode 100% of the time (unless it’s really early)....the only thing police in the South Bay have done to my car is give it a thumbs up......on multiple occasions....just use common sense when driving near cops, they are human as well and im sure appreciate a nice sporty ride...

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That is why I would 1) not install an exhaust any louder than stock and 2) have installed the AWE Switchpath. That way I can always keep the car in quiet (even at WOT) around town and keep the loud mode for autox and track (other than Laguna).
I have an AWE Switchpath and did a basic cell phone app test the other day. I came up to 99db at 3K rpm with the valve opened, in closed position, it hit 108db at 3K rpm. Anyway yours is about the same with a GT350? Just curious because I am really debating switching to a extremely quiet (like stock) exhaust at at the moment :frown:

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
As stated above this law has been on the books, but not enforced. Perhaps a reason for enforcement now is not just to stop people from doing idiotic things, but rather a devious plan to get IC engines off the road. Quiet exhaust are not going to stop people from doing street take overs and dragracing.
Imagine in the not too distant future pulling up to a stoplight in your “loud” GT350 and it’s the only internal combustion engine car there. Everyone else is driving a nice quiet electric car and everyone will be looking at you like you’re some kind a hooligan.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
History repeats itself - sort of.....

Pretty cool that yet one more facet of the current car pays homage to the original by causing a bit of a stir with its exhaust - and flouts the law a bit.... perfect for such a hooligan car as this.

From a Hemming's article - I've seen this elsewhere, too, with more commentary on how SAI and Ford dealt with it, but don't remember the full story. Check out the Chuck Cantwell and Colin Comer books on the original GT350 for more details.

"For 1966, Shelby civilized the G.T. 350 slightly, to appeal to a broader audience. Instead of the loud side-exit dual exhaust of the 1965 models, the 1966 cars would use a quieter dual exhaust that emerged through the rear valence, behind the car and its driver (a change also necessitated by California and New Jersey motor vehicle laws, which prohibited exhaust exiting ahead of the rear wheel)."

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I read the text of the law. In addition to the DB limit, the law forbids any cutout or bypass valve that the muffler. Wouldn't that make all our cars illegal?

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I read the text of the law. In addition to the DB limit, the law forbids any cutout or bypass valve that the muffler. Wouldn't that make all our cars illegal?
Technically our cars do not bypass the muffler they open up a extra path but do not bypass the muffler but exhaust will flow through the path of least resistance.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Cops leave you alone
You bet. I'm always honest/polite/joking around with cops. Like when I was clocked going 51km/h over the speed limit. Told him yeah I fucked up, but I wasn't driving erratically, or weaving in/out of traffic or anything like that. Open highway in a Mustang yeah know. He just looked at my D/L & reg.. said nice car & beautiful colour, told me to have a nice day. AS far as DB levels.. pretty sure FORD did there homework for California & other states with strict DB laws.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Technically our cars do not bypass the muffler they open up a extra path but do not bypass the muffler but exhaust will flow through the path of least resistance.
Agreed. Our valves are after the muffler, so nothing is bypassed. They are therefore OK.

Having a valve before the muffler, such that one path was diverted around the muffler completely, would not be OK.

-T

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
Everything is illegal in California except for the illegal aliens

dman

Threads