Sponsored

California loud exhaust.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
And part of the problem is also the variation in testing equipment and what db they show. It's almost unhelpful to go by "one test" because another testing device (or phone app) will probably show a different outcome.
true. I have only an x-pipe and afe filter, '17 GT. my friends phone app test showed a reading of 98db. went to my smog shop to verify and with an actual db reader measured just under 96db. all things are not equal...! dman
Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
actually, a 3,000 to 5,000 rpm rev is done at 10-20ft away as the test range...according to smog stations. dman
Since the time of that podcast, the information has been updated by those speaking. According the updated information, the test conducted should be 75% of the vehicles redline measured 20" from the center of the exhaust tip at a 45-degree angle.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
Since the time of that podcast, the information has been updated by those speaking. According the updated information, the test conducted should be 75% of the vehicles redline measured 20" from the center of the exhaust tip at a 45-degree angle.
thanks...even more specific. hey, have you driven the gt350 owner program at Utah? not to be missed. love that track...dman

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Here in southern California (Irvine) cops are really cool. I had cop behind me today and driving my Shelby in track mode with the ataks and shifting at 4k no problem.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
Here in southern California (Irvine) cops are really cool. I had cop behind me today and driving my Shelby in track mode with the ataks and shifting at 4k no problem.
I think in different areas and with local police, there won't be as much pursuit. if you live in areas where street racers have gone "stupid" good luck! also...CHP is always more "law abiding". have heard that Shelbys and factory selective exhaust may be ticketed and would force the owner to go to court to prove factory OEM system. dman

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
thanks...even more specific. hey, have you driven the gt350 owner program at Utah? not to be missed. love that track...dman
Unfortunately I haven't. I bought my car after all the 2018 dates were filled. I'm hoping it will open up for us again for 2019.

I've never had any issues driving through Irvine either in sport with the Ford Performance exhaust. They are either pretty cool or have bigger things to worry about down there.

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ahhh CALIFORNIA, the only state where you can change your sex but not your exhaust....

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Something else to consider: any modification to the exhaust is illegal as determined by visual inspection. This would include replacing resonators with straight pipes even though, in effect, it is virtually identical to R exhaust.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I'm not too concerned with the majority of local police officers or a Sheriff lighting me up. As dman alluded to above, it's the Highway Patrol that's more likely to stop you for whatever reason trips their trigger including no front license plate, tinted windows, or just that you're driving a fast Mustang. Whether or not they heard your exhaust they're likely to check the DB level since vehicle violations are their forte. Most officers I've met have been reasonable, it's just those few special ones...

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity I bought a decibel meter to do some testing (I don't trust phone app accuracy) so I will post my results here and see what I'm reading. I'm running the Ford Performance exhaust so I know it's going to be loud, but I'm curious to see what it's at. It will be here Friday so I'd expect results on Saturday.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I'm not too concerned with the majority of local police officers or a Sheriff lighting me up. As dman alluded to above, it's the Highway Patrol that's more likely to stop you for whatever reason trips their trigger including no front license plate, tinted windows, or just that you're driving a fast Mustang. Whether or not they heard your exhaust they're likely to check the DB level since vehicle violations are their forte. Most officers I've met have been reasonable, it's just those few special ones...
I did have a Sheriff pull me over...in my vw eurovan for tinted windows, factory installed. local/city police a lot less likely unless you testing your Power Pac 3 at WOT,
and giving the McQueen up yours V as you go by...! just a thought? dman
Sponsored