Sponsored

Strange request from the Ford dealership

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Cold starts may be a problem for his neighbors etc.. loud cars can get annoying if your neighbor has one and starts it up at 6 am every day
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is he has a wife mod.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A few years ago there was the last new 2016 Porsche Cayman with the flat six still on a dealers lot. I had looked at it several times and offered them $60K for an out the door price. They always turned me down so I did not even bother to test drive the car. One day after many months they called and invited me to come drive the car. I figured since the car was on it's second birthday on the lot, this was the summer of 2018 if I recall correctly, they were ready to deal.
I went over and test drove the car. I liked it as much as I figured I would. Made them my same offer and they turned me down again. Turned out there was a fellow who wanted it real bad but was having some issue with financing and could not make up his mind. Seems they told him about me so he paid them more money.

About a year later the same car was again for sale at a Chevy lot. I went to see it. Had very low miles. But the guy who bought it had modified it. He put a wing on the deck lid. The wing was pop riveted to the deck lid and not tied in to structure. He had also put some sort of aftermarket exhaust on the Cayman. Made a terrible loud drone. Spoiled the car. I made them an offer if something could be done about the drone. They did ask the previous owner but he had the exhaust changed at a shop so the stock set was gone.

Not saying the OP's exhaust is bad but clearly not to the new owners taste. My guess is a test drive did not tell the tale. Likely went for a long drive and discovered the exhaust is too much. Also can see an angry wife or girlfriend angle.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Buyer's remorse is real in this one...

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I wouldn't read it as buyers' remorse, just someone becoming aware of the reality of living with a modded vehicle. And maybe a bit of cheapness - instead of buying a new stock exhaust, grab the old one out of a trash heap. Not a terrible idea. Doesn't mean he doesn't like the truck.

When I was in my 20s, all my cars had modified exhausts. Now in my early 40s, maybe I've become a bitch, too, but I only want loud when I want loud.

My M5 has a stock exhaust. So does my Fiesta ST. Both sound good when I'm on it, but don't annoy me when I want to cruise a long way. The R is loud enough from the factory. The 993 has a Pfister stage 3 that is loud as f*ck and sounds amazing. The race car is going to be ear-splitting with its new S54 and 3" catless exhaust. So there's a time and a place.

The thing that struck me from the OP is that I hate clutter and I hate letting things go to waste, so if someone actually wanted a giant hunk of metal I took off of a car and could put it to use, I'd be in a huge hurry to get rid of it. I wouldn't keep crap I don't need to spite someone else.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

There are such things as test drives, and maybe that dude should've gone on one before he bought your Raptor. Some people just can't resist letting their stupid show.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There are such things as test drives, and maybe that dude should've gone on one before he bought your Raptor. Some people just can't resist letting their stupid show.
Not all test drives illustrate all the conditions you experience when you live with a car. Where I live, it's virtually impossible to cruise at 80mph anywhere within 20 miles of a dealer, but most of my cars spend a fair bit of time cruising at 80mph in my regular use. If an exhaust had a massive drone or resonance at that speed, I probably wouldn't know until after I owned it long enough to take a trip. It's not particularly useful to assume that someone is an idiot because their experience differs from yours. Or maybe he really liked the exhaust for a test drive, but found it tiring after a few hours at a stretch. Who cares why? The OP is being petty by wasting a useful exhaust and wasting space in his garage just to spite the guy who eventually bought his truck. Sounds more like seller's remorse than buyer's remorse from where I sit. But hey, that's just my read. Lots of guys retrospectively justifying their preferences in this thread, seems like some insecurity issues on display.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If they gave you a good deal on the trade and purchase and they treated you well, I would have given them the stock exhaust.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Given that OP hasnā€™t replied, heā€™s either a troll, or in fact, a bitch.

Iā€™ll go with the latter. Applies to both scenarios well.

PA_R_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
This seems like a fairly reasonable request? The lowest cost least friction solution would be to check if the previous owner had the spare stock exhaust laying around instead of ordering a new one, waiting for it, installing it etc.

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
When I was in my 20s, all my cars had modified exhausts. Now in my early 40s, maybe I've become a bitch, too, but I only want loud when I want loud.
I hear ya and agree. I just "tamed" down my exhaust 2 weeks ago, loving it! No more violent cold start-ups and drone was minimized a lot. To the non-automotive types it's still loud.
A couple of days ago I'm out running errands, windows down (SoCal) and a GT350 pulls up alongside me and he is revving that thing to the moon showing off. Beautiful car, it had the resonator removed, no cats, etc, all I could think was man that's obnoxious as hell, but cool ass car. Some like it loud and some like it NASCAR loud, guess whatever floats your boat.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry but not everyone like loud exhaust. It also depend on the vehicle and vehicle usage
Some people ( Harley riders usually) believe that loud pipes save life, I donā€™t, I just find them obnoxious.
I donā€™t get it, you sold your truck, why are you trying to impose your own taste on the new owner?
Just give them the fricking muffler....
Why is that his responsibility. He sold it. He should not have to deal with anything after the fact. If the dealership needed the factory exhaust they should have asked for it prior to take it on trade, which you never get back what the vehicle is worth on trade ins. Screw them. They can go buy a new muffler. His transaction is done, itā€™s the dealerships responsibility now.

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Yeah fuck that guy, and fuck that dealership. If I had it, I would charge them retail to buy it off me.
^^BINGO!!!
Either man up with a Raptor sounding the way it's supposed to sound or tell that dealership to charge him for a new muffler and installation. I think that's pretty poor of the dealership to call you about that AFTER the deal was done.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Why is that his responsibility. He sold it. He should not have to deal with anything after the fact. If the dealership needed the factory exhaust they should have asked for it prior to take it on trade which you never get what the vehicle is worth on trade ins. Screw them. They can go buy a new muffler. His transaction is done itā€™s the dealerships responsibility now.
100%!!!

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
You know what? I bought my GT350, new, last summer.
Within a week or so I was looking over the engine bay and put some corrosion protection on the battery. I discovered the tabs that hold the battery cover in place were missing. I was just going to run down and buy some tabs but decided to call my salesman. Two conversations and I was asked to pay for them.....seriously!
Iā€˜ve had my fill of car salesman although I work with dealership management almost daily.
There is a reason car salesman have a bad rap!
Sponsored