Sponsored

Stock tires squirrelly

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
whole set, rotated 7k
Wait, you rotated? Is there a version of the GT that doesn't have staggered tire sizes?
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Wait, you rotated? Is there a version of the GT that doesn't have staggered tire sizes?
Only the GTs with the Performance Package have staggered tire sizes, the rest are a square set up.

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Never had too much trouble with the Pirellis until I downshifted into 3rd to get around someone getting on the interstate and the next thing I knew I was sideways heading towards a wall. Fortunately, nobody was coming in the fast lane and I regained control of it with no damage done. Completely dry out, but 30 degrees. Threw on my M350s with MPSS shortly thereafter. Glad I did, cause I found myself in the beginning of a snow storm in January. I barely made it up a hill counter-steering at about 5-10 mph. No way I would have made it home on the Pirellis.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My 19" all seasons were much harder to break loose thN the 20 summer tires in cooler weather....I drive the truck below 50.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Only the GTs with the Performance Package have staggered tire sizes, the rest are a square set up.
Ah... I coulda sworn I remembered even the base GT having staggered tires. Guess not.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CMonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cookie
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Lightning Blue
Recommended is 32 on the door jamb. Are you saying you got better traction going to 39-40? Makes no sense. :shrug:
I havent touched them. I just noticed it when flipping through the men. Maybe they purposefully over inflate for test drives.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The stock GT PP Pirellis are absolute junk, I mean total garbage.

Ive switched to Michelin PS3, which is nowhere near even the best tyre Michelin make, but quite suited to cold weather European driving and they are orders of magnitude better than the Pirellis.

Theres a reason Ford are switching the PP over to PS4S from 2018. Pirelli should be ashamed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I havent touched them. I just noticed it when flipping through the men. Maybe they purposefully over inflate for test drives.
Yes they do. Most report their car's tires being overfilled at delivery/test drives. They should be at 32 cold, and will sit around 34-35 during regular street driving once warm. That alone with greatly improve grip. Everything else stated here is accurate: 1) P-zeros that are extremely temp sensitive on ~50 deg pavement, 2) very aggressive net torque (MT-82 1st and 2nd ratios + 3.73 gear) on a 275 width tire like the P-zero and 3) tire pressure.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Stock PP tires seem like they are coated with butter and don't hook worth a shit.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Can confirm these tires aren't great in the cold. I nabbed this car over the summer. By the end of october or the beginning of november when our cold front really hit over here, I was noticing that the grip was starting to suck. I still got great tread on these tires unfortunately, and I'm too damn cheap to go replacing a tire with perfectly good tread even if these don't hook all that great. Maybe it's time to go find an empty parking lot and play with line lock lol.

This lesson really sunk in for me a couple months ago when I was kind of being an idiot. Decided trying to beat a yellow light at a left-hand turn was a great idea until I fish-tailed a bit. That was the first and only time I got all sideways, but enough for me. None of that kind of fuckery, especially in colder weather no matter how dry it is.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
What I wonder about is why doesn't the ESC (electronic stability control) get the car back into shape when these scary events happen? I've never once seen any lights come on indicating the ESC is doing anything at all and I've had my few squirrelly moments though nothing like MedStang and ForTheHordeKT. Yikes!

OP
OP

CMonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cookie
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Lightning Blue
Can confirm these tires aren't great in the cold. I nabbed this car over the summer. By the end of october or the beginning of november when our cold front really hit over here, I was noticing that the grip was starting to suck. I still got great tread on these tires unfortunately, and I'm too damn cheap to go replacing a tire with perfectly good tread even if these don't hook all that great. Maybe it's time to go find an empty parking lot and play with line lock lol.

This lesson really sunk in for me a couple months ago when I was kind of being an idiot. Decided trying to beat a yellow light at a left-hand turn was a great idea until I fish-tailed a bit. That was the first and only time I got all sideways, but enough for me. None of that kind of fuckery, especially in colder weather no matter how dry it is.
Cool beans. Luckily we're heading into Spring shortly. I have a few road trips planned, so I might be able to hit 10k by August/Sept.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Cool beans. Luckily we're heading into Spring shortly. I have a few road trips planned, so I might be able to hit 10k by August/Sept.
Heh, out in UT we have two seasons; winter and construction lol.

There's colder states than me for sure. But, I'm thinking we won't be escaping this cold till maybe April or so over here. Still gotta put up for a few months. I am tempted to make another CA trip soon. I've got until July to spend some time off, and I have 2 weeks still racked up at work. We only get to have 1 week roll over after we hit our year, so that's at least a week I gotta burn at some point. Had an absolute blast taking my last trip out there, I think I enjoyed the drive more than my visit out there once I got there lol. But I'm at about 8600 miles now, another trip would get me to 10k too.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind the road surface is more of a variable than which type of summer tires you have.

I broke the rear end loose on a 3-4 shift last night (dry road, which happened to be slicker than the average road).

Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
The PP staggered width Pirelli Pzero's are complete garbage unless it's bonedry and (really) hot.

Can't wait to replace them.

I've been sideways in 3rd at <2000 rpm (it was bonedry, but only 40°F)

By the way did you guys ever read this in the manual?

"Always store your summer tires indoors at temperatures above 19°F (-7°C). The rubber compounds used in these tires lose flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tread area at temperatures below 19°F (-7°C). If the tires have been subjected to 19°F (-7°C) or less, warm them in a heated space to at least 41°F (5°C) for at least 24 hours before installing them on a vehicle."

Yet they deliver cars with them while it's (way) colder then 19°F...
Sponsored