Sponsored

Steeda CAI vs K&N CAI

JonnyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I've ran all the combos. Steeda insert out 12.91, insert in 12.73, never ran at the track with k&n cai. I could tell on the street that the low end still wasn't as good as the stock air box but I was better than than steeda (no longer had that stumble when I launched). As of 2 weeks ago, best combo yet is stock air box/aem panel filter and no cats/2.5 inch exhaust all the way, x-pipe borla resonator...12.54 @ 112.66, picked up 2mph in the 1/8 so it wasn't just the exhaust that made the difference. If you have a manual, you might actually be better off with the steeda cai. I believe it does make a couple of more HP midrange and up. I've ran the same steeda insert in/out tunes during those track runs.
Sponsored

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Menace,

How long did it take you to get your tune from VMP? I'm waiting on them to build my tune.

Last edited:

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up Danny.

roadracergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I heard at Mustang Week that the Steeda CAI with insert & without the tune is very impressive HP and Torque wise. Can anyone support this with dyno numbers?

Thanks

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Menace,

How long did it take you to get your tune from VMP? I'm waiting on them to build my tune.
Sorry I missed this.

I got mine in January of this year. I hit up Justin and he had me a tune within a week preloaded on SCT. No wait time at all. But that was before everyone and their mother had an S550...

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yeah I've ran all the combos. Steeda insert out 12.91, insert in 12.73, never ran at the track with k&n cai. I could tell on the street that the low end still wasn't as good as the stock air box but I was better than than steeda (no longer had that stumble when I launched). As of 2 weeks ago, best combo yet is stock air box/aem panel filter and no cats/2.5 inch exhaust all the way, x-pipe borla resonator...12.54 @ 112.66, picked up 2mph in the 1/8 so it wasn't just the exhaust that made the difference. If you have a manual, you might actually be better off with the steeda cai. I believe it does make a couple of more HP midrange and up. I've ran the same steeda insert in/out tunes during those track runs.
Sorry I have been busy at work and at home.

Well good to know.

I love the intake itself and the design of the box. And velocity stack are impressive. I think their Tune could be stronger. I think they are tuning for the masses and don't want to blow up your 30 to $40,000 car... I think the Steeda Tune is conservative but has consistent smooth torque thru the RPM range. May not win you every race but for that guy who wants to go drive the local canyon in something more than stock I think this makes a statement.That's just my Opinion. No sheets or times to back it up yet.

I think that the Factory Air Box with my drop in K&N and my VMP tune was pretty solid. If I had the time to track test or dyno test I would definitely bring both down and pin them against each other.

Now out of curiosity you mentioned the headers on the last run with the factory box. Were you running the headers with all of your Intakes you mentioned?

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

JonnyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I never got any feed back on your post. Just happened to re-read this thread. I'm still using the stock headers. And your description of the steeda tune is spot on.

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I never got any feed back on your post. Just happened to re-read this thread. I'm still using the stock headers. And your description of the steeda tune is spot on.
Yeah sorry I am pretty busy and not on M6G that often anymore.

I miss read your No cats. Thinking it was headers.

So were you running all the CAI and factory set ups on the cat delete or just the factory set up?

Sponsored

JonnyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The exhaust work was done later, for the stock air box/AEM filter run (best run). 2 tens and 2mph faster with cat delete and borla-x 2.5 inch. 15-20 HP gain. I flashed the brenspeed tune back in this afternoon and drove shitty for awhile. I think I'm liking it better than the steeda now. Previously I had a bad transmission control module so I never gave it much of a chance because the shifting was goofy on that particular tune. Pulls noticeably harder on top end. Shifts consistently @6800 rather than 6500 steeda.

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The exhaust work was done later, for the stock air box/AEM filter run (best run). 2 tens and 2mph faster with cat delete and borla-x 2.5 inch. 15-20 HP gain. I flashed the brenspeed tune back in this afternoon and drove shitty for awhile. I think I'm liking it better than the steeda now. Previously I had a bad transmission control module so I never gave it much of a chance because the shifting was goofy on that particular tune. Pulls noticeably harder on top end. Shifts consistently @6800 rather than 6500 steeda.
Okay The cats are pretty restrictive and should provide a good power gain which would make sense then getting a better run on a new set up like that. I know in July when I talked to Matt Steeda was Tuning for Long Tubes and Cat Deletes so i would assume they may done by now?

So for what its worth I just got a revised tune from Steeda Yesterday. Only drove it for 3 miles last night and into work today 20 miles. Last night I forgot to put it into track and she spun 1st, 2nd and chirped 3rd in normal mode. on my way back home I realized I was not in Track Mode. :headbonk: This morning it was a little on the cold side to get the tires to stick from a dig but running thru the freeway it felt good. it definitely felt better than their June Tune. I think they did a few things different because the throttle response seems better than the old tune? I'll keep you posted.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im still on the MMR shit. shoulda bought something different. maybe ill tune soon. :ninja:

JonnyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice. You've got to be quick shifting with the manual to get into a 3rd gear burnout. I'm curious what your 1/4 mile time will be with practice. I got beat by a 2013 manual. He supposedly had cai, tune, cat back. Ran 12.30 something. It sounded lazy at the line with 3inch exhaust but manuals can skip past the dead spot.

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
im still on the MMR shit. shoulda bought something different. maybe ill tune soon. :ninja:
Yeah hopefully the tune will help out with that MMR intake. Keepe posted.
Sponsored