vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Hi!

I know that a cold air intake isn't gonna do much in terms of performance.

But anyways, which one would you go for and why?

I will get a custom tune with either of them. I like the red filter, but prefer the housing of Steeda's offering.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
PMAS or the Steeda closed box, they're the top two performers afaik

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Between those 2 I would say Steeda with the larger maf. Tune for no insert (with insert requires separate tune)

That said if you are considering a flex tune the Steeda closed box will not work correctly due to the design causing maf turbulence and idle variation. Not conducive for flex. Smoothest maf signal would be OEM 18 which should be considered as well since you're coming from a 15. But if planning to run straight e85 (not flex tune) or straight 93/91 then Steeda is fine.

Consider MY18 though with flex tune if e85 is available near you.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Why a CAI? Popular consensus is to stick with the stock air box.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Why a CAI? Popular consensus is to stick with the stock air box.
On the pre 18 models there was room for improvements but agree for the most part. OP was asking between the 2 options so was providing info. Was also suggesting looking at the stock 18 setup for their 15.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the pre 18 models there was room for improvements but agree for the most part. OP was asking between the 2 options so was providing info. Was also suggesting looking at the stock 18 setup for their 15.
Fair enough, I don’t know much about the pre-18 models so I can’t speak to that.

What I do know from years of modding is that most of the time CAI’s are pretty much a waste of money in my opinion.

OP
OP
vincentjm

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
What I do know from years of modding is that most of the time CAI’s are pretty much a waste of money in my opinion.
I agree with you there. If I’m being honest, it’s mostly the looks that I’m after. I’m not huge on engine mods, but a clean CAI with some nice looking coil covers just looks nice.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you there. If I’m being honest, it’s mostly the looks that I’m after. I’m not huge on engine mods, but a clean CAI with some nice looking coil covers just looks nice.
GT350 CAI.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
You can always oil the filter red :)

TJ

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Fair enough, I don’t know much about the pre-18 models so I can’t speak to that.

Not for the old hot-intake cars or turbo cars. They are worth quite a bit of power on our BMW. With the 2018+, there may be a few hp to gain, but you are competing with rising intake temps if you go with an open design. I would personally like an aluminum housing with a larger pipe and MAF opening (JLT style), only mated to a closed box and high flow filter. I still need to work on a closed box for the JLT.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Not for the old hot-intake cars or turbo cars. They are worth quite a bit of power on our BMW. With the 2018+, there may be a few hp to gain, but you are competing with rising intake temps if you go with an open design. I would personally like an aluminum housing with a larger pipe and MAF opening (JLT style), only mated to a closed box and high flow filter. I still need to work on a closed box for the JLT.
I'm installing this one tomorrow. Just waiting on my tune file to get back to me for a revision. It's got an aluminum housing, tube, and stainless steel airbox.

FordMustang-V8-Intake_05.jpg

Last edited:

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my comment “most of the time” and it certainly doesn’t include FI cars. That’s an entirely different ballgame.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm installing this one tomorrow. Just waiting on my tune file to get back to me for a revision. It's got an aluminum housing, tube, and stainless steel airbox.

FordMustang-V8-Intake_05.jpg
That is the best looking one, for sure. However, I read somewhere that the pipe/MAF diameter is smaller than the JLT. So it would not flow quite as well.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That is the best looking one, for sure. However, I read somewhere that the pipe/MAF diameter is smaller than the JLT. So it would not flow quite as well.
It's 110 mm. It's the same as the 15-17 JLT.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase