stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I have to concur with everyone following your post. The open box intake is probably not the best for you unless you utilize some sort of proper engine bay venting. Perhaps opening up a set of Roush extractors would help with underhood temps and lower IAT's with the open box? Just shooting from the hip here.
I didn't intend on keeping it in place. I do think the open box/element taking the hood vent out of the game is the problem as it related to under hood temps.
Sponsored

Screwdgie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT 6M
I just installed roush extractors on my car a few weeks ago. The opening is no bigger than the stock one. In fact, it might actually be smaller. There is only one hole for air to escape, even though at first glance it looks like each "fish gill" would be open.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Up top it feels like it pulls hard now right upto 7500rpm. 3000-4000RPM could be more placebo simply because it makes so much noise.

But throttle modulation I would say feels more natural on the stock air box, on the PMAS it feels over-sensitive which is a good and bad thing, lol.
I can't hear my intake over my headers lol.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am considering an air raid CAI, can pick it up cheap and those are sealed like stock, with my mods in theory I could really ram a lot of air into it.
Have you considered the Injen intake? Looks like a nice sealed box design. I was going to buy the MIT intake tube and AFE dry filter but the Injen is just 150 dollars more

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered the Injen intake? Looks like a nice sealed box design. I was going to buy the MIT intake tube and AFE dry filter but the Injen is just 150 dollars more
I have had the airaid MIT and panel filter, its an excellent combo that improves throttle response and keeps throttle modulation and consistency just like stock, so spot on. The downside is gives little to no power, 5HP maximum.

The Injen does look nice indeed but I do fail to see how it can really make power as the maf diameter is same as stock, does it have a removable insert?

The airaid CAI the insert can be cut out to make some extra power though JDM did inform me that though removing the insert can indeed add some extra power it can also cause drivability issues because of oscillation, so it does seem like there is a no win scenario.

We need a manufacturer to do design an intake like the PMAS but with it in a totally enclosed box that has a larger 110-120mm maf tube, a huge cone filter in that box and a huge duct for the ram air feed. Unfortunately I do not think any such intake exist on the market, maybe due to price reasons.

The other option is Afe Pro but again I think its maf tube is same as stock.

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
Update: I was back at the track this weekend with similar weather (roughly the same ambient temps throughout the day) and on the Steeda no insert intake. This is the same setup I dyno'd a week ago @451whp.

Intake temps were 2-5 degrees higher than the stock box so that didn't seem to matter. What was surprising was cylinder head temps. With the stock box temps were normally in the 209-212 range but with the Steeda it was consistently in the 220-230 range, sometimes as high as 238 after several laps with no traffic. My fast lap time remains on the stock box...

[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

Any comment on this? I know in post #10 you stated that you frequent and test on road courses in GA and FL. I know there are a lot of variables when testing on a road course, but I'm curious of your thoughts on this. Thanks

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't intend on keeping it in place. I do think the open box/element taking the hood vent out of the game is the problem as it related to under hood temps.

To improve your CHT, have you tried diluting your coolant mix so its 60% water and 40% coolant and then adding some water wetter? That could maybe help a little?

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The Injen does look nice indeed but I do fail to see how it can really make power as the maf diameter is same as stock, does it have a removable insert?
Yes, it can be removed and it has a 106mm opening

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it can be removed and it has a 106mm opening
Never knew that, that could be the best solution then, if there is a huge cone filter in that box and it has a huge duct it could be the best of all worlds.

Its a shame there is not more feedback on it.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
To improve your CHT, have you tried diluting your coolant mix so its 60% water and 40% coolant and then adding some water wetter? That could maybe help a little?
Already done. Drained the coolant and added distilled water and Water Wetter along with a 170* thermostat.

WarEagleGT

S550 Newb
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Base model Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT, Auto trans
We've done extensive testing with small and large velocity stacks, our 15+ GT tube has a small one incorporated into the tube. We've even had some filters made with a stack built into them for testing. It made an immeasurable difference. Our tubes are QC'd for a particular thickness before they ship.

The filter against the MAF can be a problem, thus our filter stop. Other things that effect this is where the fresh air feed is directed at the filter. This isn't an issue on the S550 as it's coming from the bottom (vs say a GT500 that shoots right on the filter)

Check the photos below, the MAF starts over 4" away from the filter. Tubes are smooth :)

I also worked at a tuning shop for 5 years prior to this, and have had in the range of 3500 cars on a dyno most being tuned...relevant? No but it sounds good. I don't disagree with everything Terminator is saying, he's obviously more in the known than the average. Simply a comparison of results and opinions.

I would post our direct logs we've tested with but this forum is anti product vs product it'd be removed.

Sorry Todd, Give me a bit of time to reply. We're busy :)
Vinny, I PMd you.

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Never knew that, that could be the best solution then, if there is a huge cone filter in that box and it has a huge duct it could be the best of all worlds.

Its a shame there is not more feedback on it.
It has a huge cone filter but it attaches to the top of the intake box and the air has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the MAF sensor. That's the only drawback I can find with the design. There is a video of it on American Muscle if you want to check it out.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has a huge cone filter but it attaches to the top of the intake box and the air has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the MAF sensor. That's the only drawback I can find with the design. There is a video of it on American Muscle if you want to check it out.
A 90 degree turn just before the maf sensor is really not great at all, you want the air as straight as possible passing through the maf sensor, makes the car easier to tune and also a nicer drive.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
This and the filter because it's way down directly in the path of the snorkel could get really wet on a grill delete car. The possibility of it getting rain blasted on my car with my full grill delete (it rains a lot here) plus the 90* bend right at the airbox lid deterred me from buying the Injen.
Sponsored