Start CarPlay?

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue/Black Mustang GT Premium
What does it take to make CarPlay start up? The 1st time I plugged phone into usb below radio it didn't work. Minutes later, got back in, plugged iphone back in, started car and it was working. Did I do something special to make it start up, and will the usb port in the console also work?
Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
What does it take to make CarPlay start up? The 1st time I plugged phone into usb below radio it didn't work. Minutes later, got back in, plugged iphone back in, started car and it was working. Did I do something special to make it start up, and will the usb port in the console also work?
I use the USB in the centre console and just have a wire hanging out the side that I plug my android into. I can use Android Auto and stream plex music from my home server to the car which is nice.

I'll be switching to iPhone after the 14 is released so I imagine it'll work the same.

FLfree

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance
I use the center console and stash my iPhone there also. I hate wires! Yesterday, I had to reboot my phone as CarPlay would not connect. Not sure what the big was as I use it religiously. Maybe to new iOS update. It’s fine now.

OP
OP
Goodwood

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
CP startup is one of the great Ford mysteries in life! I would much rather use the usb in the console, and I'll make sure iphone is unlocked if it doesn't start on its own. So I don't need Sync 3 or any other special app to make it work right?

Sponsored

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Usually the first time you have to unlock your phone and "agree" to a pop up. After that it should start after the phone is plugged in. My experience with Android Auto and Apple Carplay is they're both finicky at times. Sometimes it's slow to start after being plugged in or I'll have to unplug and plug the phone. No issues about 95% of the time though.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If the phone is locked or something to that affect, it doesn't work. I get this message saying unlock the phone to enable Carplay. So it's most likely phone security settings preventing the connection.

OP
OP
Goodwood

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Usually the first time you have to unlock your phone and "agree" to a pop up. After that it should start after the phone is plugged in. My experience with Android Auto and Apple Carplay is they're both finicky at times. Sometimes it's slow to start after being plugged in or I'll have to unplug and plug the phone. No issues about 95% of the time though.
Ya, I was fiddling around and don't remember what I did to make it start!

asc709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP
The CarPlay in these Cars is horribly unreliable. Sometimes I have to reset the system to get the phone recognized. Plug in the phone at the wrong time during boot up and it won’t connect.

This is one of my biggest frustrations with this car.

OP
OP
Goodwood

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
What system are you resetting, the car? When is the right time to plug phone it?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't even use the CP feature... if there's something on my iPhone that can be streamed as far as audio and audio don't need the "visual", I just do it via the BT sharing... never have an issue and the BT auto-connects every single time.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I dropped off the car for some warranty work and the dealer gave me a 2022 F-150 and it has the same screen size as the Mustang and it has wireless Android and Carplay.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I dropped off the car for some warranty work and the dealer gave me a 2022 F-150 and it has the same screen size as the Mustang and it has wireless Android and Carplay.
It's using Sync4 though yeah? I wonder if that will be an option that we can upgrade on the 2021 Mustangs?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Doubtful, but you can add it.
Sponsored