Wireless CarPlay

Stevo59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP1 Convertible
My sense is that the wireless adapters are hit or miss. I have two of the same model. One in my 2020 GT works perfectly consistently; one in our 2017 Volvo XC is quite wonky.
Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
In another thread, people mentioned concerns about privacy relative to Ford potentially collecting data and selling it. Well there's another aspect to keep in mind with devices like this.

Speaking with a relative tasked with electronic security, I'm skeptical of devices that originate outside of the US especially. If a device requires access to my phone to transfer data, I question "Is there a backdoor risk which could be exploited now, or opened in the future to access and/or abuse my data."

Here is a good question to ask..."Do I have sensitive information (including bank accounts) on my device. Or do I use a home wifi on my phone which can provide a bridge to my sensitive data?" You'd be surprised how many data breaches happened through indirect exploitation of a device to access a third system.

I'm not saying that any of the currently available Carplay interfaces "are" bad. I'm just encouraging prudence to research potential long-term risks, and choose with an informed decision.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
I'm skeptical of devices that originate outside of the US especially. If a device requires access to my phone to transfer data, I question "Is there a backdoor risk ..."
I empathized with that thinking. Especially when there is a foreign state power that could sit behind it. A couple of things that keep my mind at ease:
  • Apple is still the one that controls the display.
  • What a backdoor system would be able to do is steal the graphics and the sound, for example when you ask Siri the read out loud your last text messages.
  • The backdoor system won't be able to access the actual text characters from that message, or any other message.
  • The device can't access the data on your phone. Only the data on your car (that's what it is plugged into afrer all)
One caveat: the device communicates with your phone via Bluetooth and/or Wifi. So a security bug in there can be a vector for attacks. Just like with any Bluetooth speakers you have used already. Or any open Wifi access points.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
I am using Carlinkit 5.0 and am reasonably happy with it. I still have to open the armrest once or twice a month while driving to unplug/reboot it. But that’s a minor inconvenience for being able to keep my phone in my pocket all the time.

I don't like (anymore) recharging my phone in the middle of the day. It was an unhealthy mental obsession. I also changed the iPhone battery setting to display color coding (green, orange, red) instead of percentage.
@MagneticGT76
The company has a "Save30" code on their site store until the end of November to get 30% off.
Link is at bottom left of page. https://www.carlinkit.com/CarLink
The 4.0/5.0 are $85/$89 respectively before the 30% discount.
Sponsored

Last edited: