Sponsored

Spring gurus please opine

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 GT non-PP. I am very happy with the current ride but I am moderately unhappy with the altitude. I am extremely hesitant to pull the trigger on springs for fear they are going to stiffen it up too much. I know this is somewhat subjective. I have read through the spring sticky and would appreciate further guidance. My criteria:
1) Lower 1" or less
2) Maintain as close to stock ride as possible
3) Not concerned with increased handling ( I know this will be a moderate byproduct)
4) Intend on retaining stock shocks
5) Planned on using progressives

I considered the FPP X springs (seems I may need camber plates) but even FPP couldn't give me spring rates on them.
Input appreciated!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
There's a sticky at the top of the page. Do you have questions concerning any of those options?

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
There's a sticky at the top of the page. Do you have questions concerning any of those options?
Yes. I stated that I read through that thread and listed the Ford x springs as something I was considering. Feedback on those would be helpful or any suggestions that fall in my criteria would be appreciated.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Ride comfort comes from lots of suspension travel coupled with well controlled motion from quality dampers.

If you lower without stiffening the spring rates, the ride will get worse (you'll be hitting bumpstops waaay more often, which are the worst part of a bad ride.

If you stiffen the spring rates w/o stiffening the shocks, the ride gets bouncier.

You best bet is to lower the car 0.75 or less and increase the spring rate (which, working together, keeps the car off off the bump stops), and then upgrade the shocks to a monotube shock (Bilstein or Ford Track) to maximize ride quality (versus a Koni or ProAction)

Sponsored

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
don't bother then. The dampers are what needs replacing, not the springs.
Well the springs would need to be replaced to address ride height, correct?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to close the wheel gap, getting some wheels with an aggressive offset (or spacers with stock wheels) can help there w/o touching the ride height.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Ride comfort comes from lots of suspension travel coupled with well controlled motion from quality dampers.

If you lower without stiffening the spring rates, the ride will get worse (you'll be hitting bumpstops waaay more often, which are the worst part of a bad ride.

If you stiffen the spring rates w/o stiffening the shocks, the ride gets bouncier.

You best bet is to lower the car 0.75 or less and increase the spring rate (which, working together, keeps the car off off the bump stops), and then upgrade the shocks to a monotube shock (Bilstein or Ford Track) to maximize ride quality (versus a Koni or ProAction)
Thank you for explaining that. Sounds like I'm better off waiting till Im ready to replace the shocks then.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to close the wheel gap, getting some wheels with an aggressive offset (or spacers with stock wheels) can help there w/o touching the ride height.
That is a good suggestion also......although for now I'm pretty content with the wheels.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thank you for explaining that. Sounds like I'm better off waiting till Im ready to replace the shocks then.
Springs, sta-bars, shocks and struts . . . if you could pick only one of those three you should make shocks and struts that choice.

Norm

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I run X springs and Bilsteins...a match made in motoring heaven.

Iā€™d guess this setup is 5-10% stiffer than an OEM PPā€™s, but donā€™t let that steer you away. The ride quality is seriously good, the handling is much improved (especially with Steeda bars), and the car is vastly more controlled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone. I donā€™t think I took the shock/spring relationship as seriously as I should have. Kinda see this now a bit more like a cam/valve spring setup. I know itā€™s not the same but yet there are similarities.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I run X springs and Bilsteins...a match made in motoring heaven.

Iā€™d guess this setup is 5-10% stiffer than an OEM PPā€™s, but donā€™t let that steer you away. The ride quality is seriously good, the handling is much improved (especially with Steeda bars), and the car is vastly more controlled.
What particular bilsteins are you running?