Speed (MPH) Limiter?

rr.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Picked up the car from the dealer last week and finally stretched its legs last night. Car was pulling nicely until it reached 124mph. Foot pinned to the floor, top end of 6th in the 10-speed; car wouldn’t budge, speed limited @ 125mph. I have a 2022 GT Premium w/ the performance pack and thought that the limiter would be more like ~155 mph. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I am missing? Is it in some kind of dealer mode that they forgot to disable? Is it in some kind of protected break-in mode? I’m going to try and dig through the manual tonight and see if there is anything. Might be time for a tune already! If there is already a thread about this that I am missing, please link it.
Sponsored

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
It should go faster, the EB is 121.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Picked up the car from the dealer last week and finally stretched its legs last night. Car was pulling nicely until it reached 124mph. Foot pinned to the floor, top end of 6th in the 10-speed; car wouldn’t budge, speed limited @ 125mph. I have a 2022 GT Premium w/ the performance pack and thought that the limiter would be more like ~155 mph. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I am missing? Is it in some kind of dealer mode that they forgot to disable? Is it in some kind of protected break-in mode? I’m going to try and dig through the manual tonight and see if there is anything. Might be time for a tune already! If there is already a thread about this that I am missing, please link it.
I haven’t tried it yet in my manual ‘22 but I’ll be real interested to hear the resolution to this story. I too thought they were limited somewhere in the 155+ range. Maybe it’s that Mexican gas😂.

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
I took my GT to 135 and it was still increasing, but that’s all I needed to see, will probably not ever do it again 😁

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I don't know the gen 3 as well as the gen 2.

I took a quick look at a stock 2019 GT 10R80 and the only speed limiters I could find were 186.

There may be some that I missed but it looks like it should go 186.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Some cars have RPM/speed limiters for break-in miles and even oil temps. I can see Ford doing the former.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It should 155. I haven't heard of it being speed limited during a break in period but maybe?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe your car has an "Ohio limit" built in. LOL. In all seriousness though, I had my 18 GT to 140 when stock and it was still pulling strong.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My GT was limited to 155 mph. And I almost reached that speed once. I got to 154 before having to slow down due to traffic.
I've since removed the limiter, but haven't yet had the opportunity to test it.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I've since removed the limiter, but haven't yet had the opportunity to test it.
The EU-Bullitt easily runs its 161 mph (260 km/h), the speedometer then shows exactly 273 km/h (~170 mph).
But there's more, and there is still the unlimited Autobahn here 🙃 (...let's see how long... 😬)

I'm thinking about taking out the limiter, should be possible with Forscan?
Did you do it by yourself?

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm thinking about taking out the limiter, should be possible with Forscan?
Did you do it by yourself?
Yes, I did it myself, but not with ForScan. The limit is in the PCM, and ForScan can't touch that.
You need a tuning device and software. I used the one from HPTuners.
This is what I see for mine:

Untitled.png

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Following up on this thread. The car was in fact in a protected break-in mode. After 1000 miles it exceeded the previous 124mph limiter. Spoke to someone who works at a Ford service center and he confirmed that the car limits excessive speed during the break-in period.
So are we to believe that the ECU or pertinent computer is programmed to passively change modes when the car crosses 1000 miles? It isn’t dependent on the change being made by a dealer when your car goes in for service?

I understand what the OP has been told but this is a little hard for me to swallow. I can neither imagine Ford going to the trouble and complexity of having a program counting down mileage nor can I see them depending on a dealership visit, which many people never make. Most of all, I can’t imagine such a thing not being common knowledge.

Plus, if the car is limited trying to protect itself why limit top end only when it would be much easier and make more sense to limit engine RPM? My new ‘22 has fewer than 500 miles and while I have have only barely tickled 3 digits on the big end, it’ll sure twist up to 7400-7500 RPM in the blink of an eye.

I think I need to know a little more to be convinced.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
did 194 mph about a week ago, speedo stops at 160 along with the digital dash though. Had to calculate from RPM , gearing, and tire size. Not stock , whippled with about 800 rwhp. Approx 6800 rpm in 8th gear , still pulling hard, I thought I was at 200+ so I let off.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Following up on this thread. The car was in fact in a protected break-in mode. After 1000 miles it exceeded the previous 124mph limiter. Spoke to someone who works at a Ford service center and he confirmed that the car limits excessive speed during the break-in period.
This has to be a new thing (assuming it’s true). I was on the 155mph speed limiter with 35 miles on my 2019 GT.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
did 194 mph about a week ago, speedo stops at 160 along with the digital dash though. Had to calculate from RPM , gearing, and tire size. Not stock , whippled with about 800 rwhp. Approx 6800 rpm in 8th gear , still pulling hard, I thought I was at 200+ so I let off.
Wouldn't a GPS have been easier, more accurate and real time info?
Sponsored