Spare 2020 GT500 Remote

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Has anyone had any luck getting a working 2020 GT500 remote off of eBay or Amazon?
I bought one off of eBay when I first got my car, but was unable to program, and I had to return it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Earl
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any luck getting a working 2020 GT500 remote off of eBay or Amazon?
I bought one off of eBay when I first got my car, but was unable to program, and I had to return it.
Earl
I can tell you the one I purchased through my friend at Ford was very tricky to program, but it was eventually done. It came down to the directions in the manual not being "balls on" accurate. Event the position of the fob in the hole made a difference.

Perhaps there is still hope for the one you bought.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, the programming is tricky as hell. It has to be done down to the gnats ass. I plan to buy a fob off ebay and program it. It wont be a GT500 fob, because they cost way too much. I will use just a regular mustang fob. I will let you know how it goes when I get my car back.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Earl
I just found this for a 2019, I would assume its the same for a 2020 (maybe not) but here it is just in case:

How to Program a 2019 Ford Mustang Keyless Entry Remote Fob Smart Key

Step by Step How to Program Instructions:

Programming a Spare Intelligent Access Key

Note: You can program a maximum of four intelligent access keys to your vehicle.You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible. Contact a local locksmith to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed keys are not available.
Make sure that your vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you perform any steps out of sequence.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Remove the rubber covering from the cupholder. Place the first programmed key in the backup slot at the bottom of the cupholder, then press the push button ignition switch.
  1. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
  1. Remove the intelligent access key.
  1. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot. Press the push button ignition switch.
  1. Place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
Programming is now complete. Verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was not successful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just bought this fob on ebay. Its a basic mustang fob, but it will work. $45 delivered. I'll let you know how it works.

Ebay item 174326867797

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just found this for a 2019, I would assume its the same for a 2020 (maybe not) but here it is just in case:

How to Program a 2019 Ford Mustang Keyless Entry Remote Fob Smart Key

Step by Step How to Program Instructions:

Programming a Spare Intelligent Access Key

Note: You can program a maximum of four intelligent access keys to your vehicle.You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible. Contact a local locksmith to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed keys are not available.
Make sure that your vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you perform any steps out of sequence.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Remove the rubber covering from the cupholder. Place the first programmed key in the backup slot at the bottom of the cupholder, then press the push button ignition switch.
  1. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot. Press the push button ignition switch.
  1. Place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
Programming is now complete. Verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was not successful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7.
That sounds about right. The procedure is in the owners manual. You are probably correct that it is the same procedure.

It used to drive me nuts. It has to be done exactly. I recall the last step or two was critical.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I just bought this fob on ebay. Its a basic mustang fob, but it will work. $45 delivered. I'll let you know how it works.

Ebay item 174326867797
Let me know if it works, cause I was looking for an extra key for use so I can put the two that came with the car away.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Let me know if it works, cause I was looking for an extra key for use so I can put the two that came with the car away.
There were 12+ available and the price was good. Its just a beater fob. The trick is to always have 2 master fobs. If you loose 1 and you are down to one master, you have to have the dealer do the programming and it is expensive as hell.

So program your spare, and put the two masters away in a safe place.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
There were 12+ available and the price was good. Its just a beater fob. The trick is to always have 2 master fobs. If you loose 1 and you are down to one master, you have to have the dealer do the programming and it is expensive as hell.

So program your spare, and put the two masters away in a safe place.
Exactly and as soon as you say it works I'll be heading to your ebayer.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Exactly and as soon as you say it works I'll be heading to your ebayer.
It will be at least a week. I'm having xpel done. I can say with confidence that it will work. I looked at the fcc id and the Anatel part number. The only issue is the steel key won't match, you'll have to get a blank and have it cut (or not), and it won't have the cobra emblem.

Other than that, its a 5 button mustang fob. You are pretty safe to buy it if you don't want to wait a week.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
And besides, free returns within 30 days.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

Ebay item 174326867797
Thanks for the item number. Let me know how it works out. Are planning on getting an emergency key, I noticed the one that was included with the fob was already cut (used).?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the item number. Let me know how it works out. Are planning on getting an emergency key, I noticed the one that was included with the fob was already cut (used).?
Yes, they are used fobs. You can buy a cheap blank and have it cut

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I would take the physical cut key out of one of your original fobs, and place it in the ebay fob. You are buying the fob to use in place of the original fob, so you don't ever loose one of the two master fobs. Even if you loose the ebay fob with the original cut key in it, you wouldn't have to go to the dealer to get a new key cut.

My point is, getting a spare is about the fob, not so much the key inside it, so you may as well use the original keys. If you use the cut key once, I would be surprised.

Last edited:

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ebay Item: 313179640050 $49.95 New with a Blank key in case anyone is interested.
Sponsored