Sponsored

Should I be worried - interior windscreen condensation (again!)?

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well this is going to test my patience...

100 x happier that its with this great dealership but progress is painfully slow, each day feels like a week!

Had a brief chat this morning as I dropped off the exhaust. They are still chasing the leak & troubleshooting, but they can see that there is a leak - good news. Further progress means taking the wing off apparently as that seems to be the area where water is finding its way in. Really eager to see what they uncover! Time is scheduled for next week (Monday) to strip the interior, remove body panels etc & removal of the wiring looms - which still need to be ordered (pending identifying the exact part #'s). I'm hoping to see some movement next week & plan to go over to see them later in the week. I'll be sure to get a detailed update with photos & add to this thread.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
at least you're seeing progress i'm now 6 months into the warranty claim for the bonnet and ford have approved/ disapproved / approved / disapproved it a dozen times now left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing and all the while i'm rapidly approaching 3 years when anything warranty becomes even more difficult :(

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Well this is going to test my patience...

100 x happier that its with this great dealership but progress is painfully slow, each day feels like a week!

Had a brief chat this morning as I dropped off the exhaust. They are still chasing the leak & troubleshooting, but they can see that there is a leak - good news. Further progress means taking the wing off apparently as that seems to be the area where water is finding its way in. Really eager to see what they uncover! Time is scheduled for next week (Monday) to strip the interior, remove body panels etc & removal of the wiring looms - which still need to be ordered (pending identifying the exact part #'s). I'm hoping to see some movement next week & plan to go over to see them later in the week. I'll be sure to get a detailed update with photos & add to this thread.
Well, youā€™ve convinced me to move my business from Think Ford Guildford to Ford in Hungerford. Or at least to wherever this technician you like is working

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well, youā€™ve convinced me to move my business from Think Ford Guildford to Ford in Hungerford. Or at least to wherever this technician you like is working
Nice, can't say enough good things about these guys in Hungerford. Technician is Paul, and I've been dealing with Grahame in the service dept.

Totally different experience to Guildford.

Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Nice, can't say enough good things about these guys in Hungerford. Technician is Paul, and I've been dealing with Grahame in the service dept.

Totally different experience to Guildford.
Just cathing up with this again. So you did have a leak! I figured you must do, as my experience is like yours, got misting while leaking, once fixed no misting at all. My car sits on the drive like yours does. Also my experience of Ford dealers mirrors yours. I'd never take the car back to the place I bought it from, they were hopeless, yet the dealership in Shrewsbury did a good job of fixing the issue and gave me a big discount on my service bill for the inconvenience. Hope you get yours properly sorted soon. Sounds like they're on the case all should be good soon!

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just cathing up with this again. So you did have a leak! I figured you must do, as my experience is like yours, got misting while leaking, once fixed no misting at all. My car sits on the drive like yours does. Also my experience of Ford dealers mirrors yours. I'd never take the car back to the place I bought it from, they were hopeless, yet the dealership in Shrewsbury did a good job of fixing the issue and gave me a big discount on my service bill for the inconvenience. Hope you get yours properly sorted soon. Sounds like they're on the case all should be good soon!
Thanks mate, always reassuring to hear of someone else whoā€™s gone throught the same thing. Good to hear your misting went as well - it was always depressing when i saw even a hint of it as i knew what it probably meant...

So did Shrewsbury give you any feedback? Sounds like they pinpointed the issue well, be handy to know any details so I can pass on the news to my place. I may even get my dealershipt to speak with Shrewsbury - on the very slim chance we have the exact same problem!

Forgot to add - they ruled out the firewall grommet; sealed it up & still saw water ingress. Tomorrow the interior is coming out & front wing off - which is the area they think the water is coming in, failed seam somewhere perhaps.

Ooh that reminds me, i think iā€™m deserving of another new carpet! Iā€™ll ask them in the week

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks mate, always reassuring to hear of someone else whoā€™s gone throught the same thing. Good to hear your misting went as well - it was always depressing when i saw even a hint of it as i knew what it probably meant...

So did Shrewsbury give you any feedback? Sounds like they pinpointed the issue well, be handy to know any details so I can pass on the news to my place. I may even get my dealershipt to speak with Shrewsbury - on the very slim chance we have the exact same problem!

Forgot to add - they ruled out the firewall grommet; sealed it up & still saw water ingress. Tomorrow the interior is coming out & front wing off - which is the area they think the water is coming in, failed seam somewhere perhaps.

Ooh that reminds me, i think iā€™m deserving of another new carpet! Iā€™ll ask them in the week
New carpet, new dash, new wing, new whatever they touch lol

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Kristian I'm sorry to hear you have had so much agro & it could be a long slog yet depending on parts availability. You mentioned on 10th "you can see some surface rust where there has been water present behind the trim in the A pillar. Supposedly nothing a bit of WD40 can't address." WD40 is a de-watering fluid, many folk think it will lubricate or prevent rust but it does neither. ACF50 is a corrosion inhibitor that many bikers use, I use it on the front tubes, suspension & engine on my Morgan Threewheeler. It will creep into crevices & leaves a slightly oily finish & maybe what you want on parts where there is no likelihood of you touching them. Its worth considering.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kristian I'm sorry to hear you have had so much agro & it could be a long slog yet depending on parts availability. You mentioned on 10th "you can see some surface rust where there has been water present behind the trim in the A pillar. Supposedly nothing a bit of WD40 can't address." WD40 is a de-watering fluid, many folk think it will lubricate or prevent rust but it does neither. ACF50 is a corrosion inhibitor that many bikers use, I use it on the front tubes, suspension & engine on my Morgan Threewheeler. It will creep into crevices & leaves a slightly oily finish & maybe what you want on parts where there is no likelihood of you touching them. Its worth considering.
Thanks Tim, thatā€™s good to know. Iā€™ll certainly mention it. What i think iā€™ll do as well is demand a follow up rust check in the summer and then again in the winter, iā€™m sure Ford will agree to that considering my experience

Re parts - this worries me also. Dealership seem to have the idea that one of the looms is vehicle specific and that could be a long wait, hopefully iā€™ll know the answer to that this week. Stay tuned to find out!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Quick update...

Despite the front wing coming off, the source of the leak is yet to be found. They say they have been re-sealing all the seams & grommets. Technician is determined though so I was very reassured to hear that :)

Both wiring looms have been ordered, one coming in next week, the other on back order *sigh*

Time scheduled next week to properly strip the interior & continue troubleshooting. I have also requested a new carpet (again) which I think is reasonable given my circumstances.

With all the snow that landed yesterday, I can't tell you how relieved I was that the Stang is not sat on the driveway!

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Quick update...

Despite the front wing coming off, the source of the leak is yet to be found. They say they have been re-sealing all the seams & grommets. Technician is determined though so I was very reassured to hear that :)

Both wiring looms have been ordered, one coming in next week, the other on back order *sigh*

Time scheduled next week to properly strip the interior & continue troubleshooting. I have also requested a new carpet (again) which I think is reasonable given my circumstances.

With all the snow that landed yesterday, I can't tell you how relieved I was that the Stang is not sat on the driveway!
I think, on balance, I'd rather have had my problems than yours. All of this sounds like a right ball ache.

As I'm pretty new here, how long have you had issues for? Did you have any issues with your Ecoboost?

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think, on balance, I'd rather have had my problems than yours. All of this sounds like a right ball ache.

As I'm pretty new here, how long have you had issues for? Did you have any issues with your Ecoboost?
Ball ache yes but actually i think an obscure mechanical issue would be more off putting for me personally. This is almost a cosmetic issue which sits better with me. Chasing a leak is such a long winded process and it makes me a little sqeemish to know that its been taken apart twice now, iā€™d accept that after many years not months.

Ecoboost was solid in the 18 months I had it. Had a case of squeeky brakes but that was pretty much it, fine after a clean.

Dealership that have it currently speculate iā€™ve had the leak from factory which makes a lot of sense. Very subtle leak but back end of 2017 we had a lot of snow, multiple days the stang sat on the driveway with a blanket of snow/ice, as it thawed, thats when my interior became waterlogged. So this was 6 months in to ownership. Throughout the summer obviously less noticeable and somewhat managed by the AC cycles but it was always lurking. Cold weather hits and bam, here I am again :(
Sponsored