Sponsored

Shift Knob Removal...Ever Broke Anything?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Title says it all...that sucker is on there. I know all the techniques for getting it off, just curious if anyone ever broke or damaged anything trying to crank that sucker off?
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Title says it all...that sucker is on there. I know all the techniques for getting it off, just curious if anyone ever broke or damaged anything trying to crank that sucker off?
I have heard of people breaking stuff. My dealer did when they replaced my shifter and they got me a brand new one. I got mine out without damaging anything with a rubber strap wrench after rolling a microfiber cloth around the knob. It was on extremely tight.

cattivo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geno
Vehicle(s)
17GT350
I was afraid of breaking something myself, and considered paying a “pro” do swap mine out. Yesterday, I just said bump it and did it myself. Went to Wal-Mart and bought an $8 strap wrench. Placed one of those cheap pleather eye glass cases over the old knob...both to protect it and add a bit more girth for the strap to grab onto. It was on there pretty good but came off fairly easily. It just took a lot of putting on and taking off the wrench because I could only get so much of a revolution on each turn. I am by no means one who typically wrenches on my own cars, so if I could do it, anyone could. Took about 45 minutes total time including time for the Loctite to set. Pic of new knob just added to the “What have you done...” thread.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Heard the stories of it having red loctite from factory on some cars. Wasnt the case for me, and was easily removed with a rubber strap wrench and a cotton towel.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Mine can twist a bit, but once I start to unscrew it an 1/8 turn it feels like it's tightening again. Never played around with it past that.

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Mine can twist a bit, but once I start to unscrew it an 1/8 turn it feels like it's tightening again. Never played around with it past that.
That is how mine felt. Put a strap wrench on it and it will go :)

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You need to do Arnold presses..... And a lot of them and do them with 40-50 lbs each. Once you build enough muscle, it will come off....

I’m sorry I had to do it. I’m laughing here, no ill intentions:):):)

Seriously though, just need some power and I dont mean to disrespect but if you have any muscular friends, having them to try might be less invasive than using vise grips etc.

The tightening feeling after twisting is because of the paste they use and some may be unevenly distributed. The threads of that thing is very well done and cross threading is very hard and unless your car was build on Friday, not likely:)

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Leverage is the key. I wrapped cardboard around the leather on my 2018 GT and removed it with a large Stilson pipe wrench.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Nope, didn’t damage anything. As others have said, strap wrench with small towel over the knob and it came off easy for me. Not so much a matter of strength, more so keeping pressure where it needs to be. I had a better appreciation of the quality of the stock knob when I got it off.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Nope. Came off with ease. Loving the new one!
20180421_142830-784x1613.jpg
20180421_142839-784x1613.jpg

Sponsored

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Feels great. Its quite heavy, and now the shift action is much more precise (to me).

I have larger hands, and the size of this one fits much better in my hand than others. Quality of the work is top notch. It was done by Anarchy Motive. Takes a good bit of time but being entirely customizable and done at this level of quality for the price, I'm happy with it.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Hmmm... I had the opposite problem. The factory knob loosened up after about 1000 miles. I tightened it, but then it was mis-aligned. I considered some purple Loctite (222) then decided to get a CJ Pony Parts knob. Put it on with the blue stuff and it's been fine ever since. Purple Loctite is an unsung hero. It's very low strength and intended for very small fasteners. Even for big stuff, it's just strong enough to prevent easy rotation, but will come apart easily.

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Feels great. Its quite heavy, and now the shift action is much more precise (to me).

I have larger hands, and the size of this one fits much better in my hand than others. Quality of the work is top notch. It was done by Anarchy Motive. Takes a good bit of time but being entirely customizable and done at this level of quality for the price, I'm happy with it.
I used my friend's golf glove, some cuss words and a little grunt and I was able to screw the stock shift knob off quite easily.

I replaced with CJ Pony Parts knob the Blue with white stripes (to match the car). I like the feel of the ball knob and you're hand doesn't slip under hard shifting and track driving.
Sponsored