Sponsored

serpentine belt failure

magneticstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had some squealing coming from my belt while driving down the highway then all of a sudden I heard the snap. After investigating I noticed that the pulley(right below throttle body) has a lot of wobbles. Any ideas what might have caused this or what is the fix for this?

https://imgur.com/a/rruAnsd
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I had some squealing coming from my belt while driving down the highway then all of a sudden I heard the snap. After investigating I noticed that the pulley(right below throttle body) has a lot of wobbles. Any ideas what might have caused this or what is the fix for this?

https://imgur.com/a/rruAnsd
Wobbles? ..huh. must be a worn tensioner pulley bearing ..

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
that looks like your water pump pulley and it should not be doing that at all. the shaft that connects the pulley to the impeller probably broke somewhere in there. water pump replacement would be the fix.

OP
OP

magneticstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the help and quick reply! I'll be taking into the shop tomorrow to see what it will take to replace.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That’s definitely the water pump pulley and as noted above, from your video it looks like the pump shaft sheared off or there was internal bearing failure. It should be covered under warranty if you’re still within the 3/36 or if you bought an extended plan.

How many miles do you have on it?

Sponsored

OP
OP

magneticstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I got it into the shop today and it is the water pump that had failed. It will be replaced under warranty and thanks to everyone for the comments and help.

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Mine did the same thing today at 50,000 Had it towed to a dealer still an hour away from home. 1st chance to use my ESP-thank you Flood Ford!

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Mine did the same thing today at 50,000 Had it towed to a dealer still an hour away from home. 1st chance to use my ESP-thank you Flood Ford!
Warranty is covering it. Water pump and both belts. Didn't have parts in stock will get them tomorrow and get car done on . . . Friday ?!? I guess I am supposed to be grateful that they are honoring the warranty.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Jesus....these failures on 2-3 year old Mustangs is scaring me.

My car just went in for both rear wheel bearings. They failed waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

Getting worried here.

Deleted member 35786

Jesus....these failures on 2-3 year old Mustangs is scaring me.

My car just went in for both rear wheel bearings. They failed waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

Getting worried here.
Seems quite a few of these issues are with the PP Mustangs.. But who I am to say, had my evap core replaced last year. Other than that it is solid for a prior Avis rental beast..

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Seems quite a few of these issues are with the PP Mustangs.. But who I am to say, had my evap core replaced last year. Other than that it is solid for a prior Avis rental beast..
I, like everyone else, need to watch my reaction to such things. Enjoying my car as much as I do, it's stressful when there's a failure.

But for the price, as crappy as some parts are on these cars, it's still a good value. You just gotta be ready to wrench a bit yourself to fix these issues.

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
And my car is in fact one of the PP mustangs and I previously had the AC problems too.

NoVaGT-how do you like the Bama tune and would you recommend it for a daily driver?

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
The dealer called at 10:30 this morning and my car was ready. Picked it up and inspected the water pump. Impeller was busted out the middle, the bearing was gone, A tensioner pulley was damaged as well. They did not charge me the ESP deductible, which leads me to believe they know this is a problem.

8_GcwzIe02e1NwDHgFacAHfX4WD1Is14NyHx-BB5EHo2bxROpBJ5uQiu-7tBnWwXwyIg6ZhMnqICE8YruI=w1047-h785-no.jpg
SMkoG9QzKOSdWBFRTlZsOrk8GCwfiO4FuxG5Oxxw1E_v2AFfxznk3UobbI-fiAjPvKAqkNP5r8Jmv1dkRQ=w1047-h785-no.jpg

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
The dealer called at 10:30 this morning and my car was ready. Picked it up and inspected the water pump. Impeller was busted out the middle, the bearing was gone, A tensioner pulley was damaged as well. They did not charge me the ESP deductible, which leads me to believe they know this is a problem.

8_GcwzIe02e1NwDHgFacAHfX4WD1Is14NyHx-BB5EHo2bxROpBJ5uQiu-7tBnWwXwyIg6ZhMnqICE8YruI=w1047-h785-no.jpg
SMkoG9QzKOSdWBFRTlZsOrk8GCwfiO4FuxG5Oxxw1E_v2AFfxznk3UobbI-fiAjPvKAqkNP5r8Jmv1dkRQ=w1047-h785-no.jpg
Interesting . What model of mustang is this? What engine?
50,000 miles?
Sponsored