Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's not "plenty of reports" like your claim. Where are all the GT350 typewriter reports located?
"Plenty of reports" is relative to the GT. There are plenty of people talking about GT350s ticking just like there are with GTs. It's just that most people in the GT350 community are smart enough to point others towards the TSB addressing it. It seems here in the GT community, we aren't quite smart enough for that
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It's quite hilarious seeing you ONLY hear what YOU want to hear and pawn it off as superior critical thinking

He says it ONLY happens at idle when the car is at a full stop, and when any load is put on the torque converter, it disappears.

Face it, you have just as much (or realistically, probably less) evidence of it being excessive rod side clearance as we do of it being oil cavitation
All the evidence points away from oil cavitation. If you can drum up some independant test info or other evidence that it's cavitation (besided a lame TSB from a different car manufacterer) then post it up. That technical paper I linked to was oil cavitation testing on a journal bearing, and all the conclusions are totally opposite of how the typewriter tick behaves.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Plenty of reports" is relative to the GT. There are plenty of people talking about GT350s ticking just like there are with GTs. It's just that most people in the GT350 community are smart enough to point others towards the TSB addressing it. It seems here in the GT community, we aren't quite smart enough for that
I've read this chat board for over 4 years, and if the GT350 had the typewriter tick just like the GT Coyote the GT350 owners would be bitching about it. And besides, Ford's SSM on the typewriter tick does not include the GT350 Voodoo engine. Explain that.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
All the evidence points away from oil cavitation. If you can drum up some independant test info or other evidence that it's cavitation (besided a lame TSB from a different car manufacterer) then post it up. That technical paper I linked to was oil cavitation testing on a journal bearing, and all the conclusions are totally opposite of how the typewriter tick behaves.
You talk about finding anecdotal evidence that isn't from another manufacturer (even though Ford has a TSB for the powerstroke saying the same thing and, newsflash, a TSB for the Mustang saying it doesn't cause any damage, therefore it can't be excessive rod side travel), yet the only anecdotal evidence you've really brought to the table was from another manufacturer, on a completely different type of engine, having a different type of problem. How do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

Side note; anyone notice how it's always the people who don't own an 18+ that are somehow the "experts" on them?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've read this chat board for over 4 years, and if the GT350 had the typewriter tick just like the GT Coyote the GT350 owners would be bitching about it. And besides, Ford's SSM on the typewriter tick does not include the GT350 Voodoo engine. Explain that.
Well then reading obviously isn't your strong suit...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ticking-and-slight-miss-during-idle.118454/#post-2484378

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/another-whats-this-noise-thread.93352/#post-2061686

Those are just the 2 threads I found in the 5 minutes I decided to look. I'm sure plenty more could be found. But note that both of them say it happens when warm or cold, so that rules out the known piston slap. Like I said, it's plenty reported in the GT350 community as well, as I see it on Facebook constantly (where I'm more active). However, I imagine that most GT350 owners chock it down to the TSBs, like we should all be doing

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He says it ONLY happens at idle when the car is at a full stop, and when any load is put on the torque converter, it disappears.
Go read that guy's post again. Yes, the noise came and went with changing the load on the engine at idle, just like many guys here report their ticking at idle comes and goes with a change in load on the engine (ie, AC compressor going on snd off). So how does thst explain and coincide oil cavitation? And just because he didn't describe anything above an idle doesn't mean it went silent above an idle.

That guy also said his went away with thicker oil, and came back with thinner oil. Same as what has been said by some guys here with the typewriter tick. You think this is all a coincidence? Christ, if a loose rod flew out of an engine and bite someone on their ass they still would be blind to the signs - lol.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You talk about finding anecdotal evidence that isn't from another manufacturer (even though Ford has a TSB for the powerstroke saying the same thing and, newsflash, a TSB for the Mustang saying it doesn't cause any damage, therefore it can't be excessive rod side travel), yet the only anecdotal evidence you've really brought to the table was from another manufacturer, on a completely different type of engine, having a different type of problem. How do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

Side note; anyone notice how it's always the people who don't own an 18+ that are somehow the "experts" on them?
I'm sure you know the typewriter tick has been around since 2011, so don't know why your deliniating this to the 2018+ Coyote. I'm talking only about the typewriter tick, nothing else.

And if you know anything about engines, you'd know virtually every OEM engine bottom end runs very similar clearances on bearings and rod side clearance. So if some guy with a diffetent engine says his engine made abnormal noises with rod side clearances twice the factory spec the I'd say that's a valid indication of how excessive rod side clrarance can behave and sound. And in case you don't recall reading on this board, there have been guys that reported their ticking engine also have rod side clearances twice the factory spec. Again, just a coincedence?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
However, I imagine that most GT350 owners chock it down to the TSBs, like we should all be doing
There is no TSB/SSM for the GT350 that specifically addresses what Ford calls the "typewriter tick" like they havr for the 2011 to 2019 Coyote. The SSM for the GT350 addresses engine noises from piston slap. Where dors Ford address the typewriter tick for the GT350?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You think this is all a coincidence? Christ, if a loose rod flew out of an engine and bite someone on their ass they still would be blind to the signs - lol.
Jesus, your blind hypocrisy is staggering. It's just funny to me that this situation sounds *vaguely* similar to the BBQ tick, and you're ALL OVER it being the issue, meanwhile there are TONS of signs and similarities between it and the diesel BBQ tick (the exact description of the noises for both Coyotes and Powerstrokes, per the TSBs) yet you swear on your life that there's no way it could possibly be that.

Here's the deal: Maybe it is rod side clearance like you insist. But, even if it is, that obviously doesn't represent any sort of potential detriment, considering there are plenty of guys out there with Coyotes that are ticking along with hundreds of thousands of miles, 2.5 times the factory power, or just taking an absolute beating on track and still not having issues. Therefore, there's absolutely no reason for you to be endlessly bitching and crying about it, because it's obviously not an issue

Tl;Dr - You're not an expert, and you don't know better than Ford. Stop freaking out, and stop trying to freak other people out

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Look at it this way, if it ticks from day one and survives 60,000 miles, the tick probably isn't a big deal by that point. If it ticks from day one and doesn't survive 60k miles, Ford puts a new one in and off you go! Just drive the damn things...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jesus, your blind hypocrisy is staggering. It's just funny to me that this situation sounds *vaguely* similar to the BBQ tick, and you're ALL OVER it being the issue, meanwhile there are TONS of signs and similarities between it and the diesel BBQ tick (the exact description of the noises for both Coyotes and Powerstrokes, per the TSBs) yet you swear on your life that there's no way it could possibly be that.

Here's the deal: Maybe it is rod side clearance like you insist. But, even if it is, that obviously doesn't represent any sort of potential detriment, considering there are plenty of guys out there with Coyotes that are ticking along with hundreds of thousands of miles, 2.5 times the factory power, or just taking an absolute beating on track and still not having issues. Therefore, there's absolutely no reason for you to be endlessly bitching and crying about it, because it's obviously not an issue

Tl;Dr - You're not an expert, and you don't know better than Ford. Stop freaking out, and stop trying to freak other people out
I've never said that excessive rod side clearance would be detrimental or harmful to the engine - I've said it wouldn't harm anything just like Ford's SSM states. Fact is, if it really was oil cavitation, that can actually be damaging to soft rod and crank bearings (go research it).

I find that you give shit to anyone who doesn't just accept Ford's "it's normal" SSM. There are some guys here who look farther into what the root cause might be instead of being a zombie and just believing and "falling in line" with what Ford says. I'll continue to voice my theories and opinions as long as I'm a member of this chat boatd.

If you don't like seeing people voicing their theories based on obsevations, then either come up with some independant data/info refruting that (not just a lame SSM/TSB) or put them on ignore. Nothing wrong with civilized technical discussions, regardless if the subject matter is good or bad.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
How bout some peace love and understanding.
No one on this board knows any more than anyone else at this point in time
Picking fights to support the unknown or a personal theory is plain silly unless you have the wherewithal to back it up.
Now everyone drop their pan and measure their rod clearance.
Cobrajet theorizesit it will measure to big. If it doesn't ..what's behind door number 2?
If they all do....recalls have been issued for far less deserving reasons.
Maybe you are right ..maybe not.
Coincidental ....bad motors had it too? ...Some "bad" motors didn't
Cross pollination amongst the family's coyote members supports some sort of normalcy. SSM'd or TSB'd or not.
Cavitation? Really???
But it's only the early 18's that have it...uh huh...
My PP2 is immune
My Bullit is immune
Oh wait....it's not
It's the DI...
It's the block plate...
Ford is putting out junk and don't know what they are doing....but I know.... cuz my service writer told me.
My oil is refined with additives from Uranus but if it was formulated on a Friday all bets are subject to the same standards of quality I give my boss on a Friday.
Your & my car's value (V8's) is vaporizing with all this speculation and unfounded "truths" being thrown around.
We all want to know the what, where & why.
FoMoCo says it's an unfortunate side effect for the animal. But That can't be true...
A new ...off the transporter '19 will be delivered tomorrow ...with it in its future. Think about that for a minute. This moment of thought should include any and all manufacturers of any product. "Known to be defective" but I don't know what the defect is.....a sorta pregnant type thing
The www lost Confucius and Einstein here on the board will say a bowtie is n'vogue or ...mopar or no car.
I took my car out today....it is flat out an amazing car....Even with an odd noise on occasion.
Anyone here run a solid cam ? An M22, Detroit locker, an emmisioned vehicle from the 70's, a Vega?
Stuff makes noise.
an 18+ owner does not make one a better technician or better at the craft of trouble shooting....your assumption jake Is flawed and nieve.
I'd prefer to see this forum and especially this topic's discussion positive, productive civil and inclusive.

Why doesnt the tick rattle club have a day where we all assend on our local Ford store. Get Fox News or Debbra Norvile to cover it and the youtube gawds to promote it.
Maybe Ford would notice?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ford grinds crankshafts and bores blocks to fit main bearings with a tolerance of +/- 0.0004", rod bearings are sized to +/- 0.0008". How likely is it that Ford can make numerous rods and crankshafts with these tolerances but then makes many rods that are 0.020" out of spec for side spacing?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That one includes a video and is not "typewriter tick" like many 5.0s experience. It's uniform and consistent.
The one video has 2 ticks... one is valve chatter which is common on the GT350s and consistent, but there's another ticking that's inconsistent and sounds just like the typewriter tick. The owner of the car even says it's inconsistent
Sponsored