Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just searched YouTube and didn't find any GT350s with the typewriter tick. Also don't recall anyone with a GT350 on this forum posting saying they had the typewriter tick. They may have piston slap, but that's a different noise and cause ... not the typewriter tick. Some people may mistake piston slap for the typewriter tick. If you can supply some links to your claim that would be appreciated. Even if there is a rare one or two GT350s out there, it's way less than reported typewriter ticking on the Coyote.

So if no GT350s have the typewriter tick, then what's different even though they use the same exact bearing clearances as the Coyote. Better build quality in the bottom end perhaps?
When you search youtube for ticking 2018s, there's maybe 10 videos out of the 50k+ on the road. Keep that ratio relative to GT350 production, and you'd be lucky to see 1 video

Honestly, I just think the GT350 crowd doesn't bitch about the little things as much. That, and it's probably masked along with the well known piston slap. But every GT350 I've been in (up to about 6 now) has had the same tick that my Coyote has
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Holy Cow, are you kidding? You need better speakers. Turn down the bass. The ticking in the background is identical.

And, I do mean IDENTICAL. The randomness is so exact, it's obvious.
Using my MacBook, I hear exactly what you're hearing. Sounds absolutely IDENTICAL to the noises my 2018 makes. In fact, when I was listening to the tick today, I noticed it had sort of a bubbly sound in that the tick had a bit of an echo to it and seemed to vary slightly in pitch

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here ya go guys ... read post #4 and tell me this doesn't sound familiar. Verified excessive rode side clearance, makes engine "chattering" (probably ticking) noise while idling, goes on/off with load (ie, guys here make the typewriter ticking come and go with AC on/off), heavier oil quieted it down, etc. All a coincidence? I highly doubt it, and it just points again to excessive rod side clearance as the cause.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/rod-side-clearances.150914/#post-1048888

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you search youtube for ticking 2018s, there's maybe 10 videos out of the 50k+ on the road. Keep that ratio relative to GT350 production, and you'd be lucky to see 1 video
That's not "plenty of reports" like your claim. Where are all the GT350 typewriter reports located?

fb1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang coupe GT/auto PP1
Just curious, I was wondering if any new GT's owners (say in the last 2 months) have gotten a noisy 2019
Was hoping the later builds have been a bit better than 18's or early 19's
bought my 19 GT on November 28, 2018, build date 09/12/18, heard the rattle @ around 325 miles in similar fashion as PRO 5 described in his Jan. 27, 2019 postings

nothing at cold start or after idle adjustment. I have to drive about a 1/10 of mile @ low RPMs (1000-1400) to get to a main road and during that period the noise is very loud and obvious until I've driven around 5-7 miles @ speeds of 35-40 MPH. After that time frame the noise is almost non existent.

Pony had 125 miles on it when purchased from the dealer, don't know how it was operated during that time period but I have been driving it according to Ford break in procedure. Have about 500 miles on it now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Here ya go guys ... read post #4 and tell me this doesn't sound familiar. Verified excessive rode side clearance, makes engine "chattering" (probably ticking) noise while idling, goes on/off with load (ie, guys here make the typewriter ticking come and go with AC on/off), heavier oil quieted it down, etc. All a coincidence? I highly doubt it, and it just points again to excessive rod side clearance as the cause.

Dude I don't know how many times you're going to go around and promote the same theory is every tick thread. You're like a broken record lol

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
14 pages of mental masterbation so far. I would rather see more camaros and challengers on the road. They need help in sales anyway...:).

bigruss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
just placed an order for a 19 GT Premium and the dealer said they have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The terms of the warranty are "all internal lubricated parts, timing belt, pulleys and cover; oil pump; water pump; manifolds; harmonic balancer; engine mounts; turbocharger housing. Cases, housings, engine block and cylinder heads are only covered if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. Does not include any part other than what is supplied in long block assembly". Would the tick if it is piston slap be covered?

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
people buying ceratec: buy beer or weed instead, it will be better for you. Hit the rev limiter more often - more burnouts, more line lock action.

the people who make this snake oil should be shown in jail.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
people buying ceratec: buy beer or weed instead, it will be better for you. Hit the rev limiter more often - more burnouts, more line lock action.

the people who make this snake oil should be shown in jail.
Zinc and phosphorous based oil additives used to be the norm, and were once in most of the oils on the shelf at high levels. They lowered the limit of these anti-wear components, as they can deactivate the emissions catalyst. Their effectiveness has been proven for years in the lab and on the road. We can question whether or not it is needed in a modern engine, but they are far from snake oil. Today, you will still get the high Zinc and phosphorous levels (like you get from using Ceratec) by buying racing oils.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude I don't know how many times you're going to go around and promote the same theory is every tick thread. You're like a broken record lol
You have a better theory or info that debunks all the stuff I've found that points to excessive rod side clearance and the lack of oil cavitation evidence? Or do you and others just blindly accept Ford's elusive statement that it's "normal". Sometimes critical thinking is required to uncover the truth.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
just placed an order for a 19 GT Premium and the dealer said they have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The terms of the warranty are "all internal lubricated parts, timing belt, pulleys and cover; oil pump; water pump; manifolds; harmonic balancer; engine mounts; turbocharger housing. Cases, housings, engine block and cylinder heads are only covered if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. Does not include any part other than what is supplied in long block assembly". Would the tick if it is piston slap be covered?
I would read carefully. Many of these offered by dealers require you to service it there at certain intervals and complete all recommended services. So if they have a 200 dollar "engine clean" service they recommend every 30k miles you have to do it to keep the warranty.

If it is only factory recommended service intervals I'd saw it is not a bad thing and would likely cover any issues from the ticks or rattles. Just read the fine print.

As for these cars "feeling" fast I 100%. I don't know if it is the lack or rattles or the soft road going manner but the thing doesn't feel fast at all. It isn't to you gauge yourself around other cars that you really get the feeling that you are moving. The lack of low end torque and all the power killing nannys turned on it doesn't carry on in the lower gears. I suppose the 305 rear tires help as well. But I'd expect something with 400 wheel HP to give you a much different feeling than this does. Not a bad thing honestly as I enjoy good manners in the lower RPM's range just a different feeling than one would expect.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You have a better theory or info that debunks all the stuff I've found that points to excessive rod side clearance and the lack of oil cavitation evidence? Or do you and others just blindly accept Ford's elusive statement that it's "normal". Sometimes critical thinking is required to uncover the truth.
Here is a little off topic question,with ALL of the engine problems with the 2018-2019 Coyote engines,and some on this thread saying they didn't pull the trigger,or were shying away from the Mustang because of all the engine problems and this being the ONLY car that Ford now builds,if Ford keeps producing poor quality engines, and treating the fan base like shit, with NO explanation as to what the REAL problem is with a fix,how long will the Mustang survive.The Camo is out,can we all say here comes the new leader of the pack--the CHALLENGER.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
^^ I like this guy's thinking. :D :D

I think it's something called Capitalism? Except 90% of mustang buyers either don't care about the v8 (they get the ecoboot 'vert, ie: rental companies, or old fogeys,) and/or they are not on the internet and are just buying a car like aunt booby used to have when they were a kid, to poot around in, and they are too deaf or uncaring to hear the ticks over the crappy satellite radio.

Maybe dodge will go broke soon, I don't see any inklings of a redesigned market killing sports car coming out of that place.

Dealerships, Automotive News mentions, are having trouble finding space for all these cars—cars that some are apparently accepting to make automakers happy, and others are accepting due to pressure from the manufacturers. Take this story from an FCA dealer in the Detroit area:

“First they told us to order [Dodge] Durangos because they were going to put extra support on them, so we stocked up, but the support never came. Then they stuffed us full of [Jeep] Compasses. Then they told us that in order to get [Jeep] Gladiator allocation, we had to order Ram pickups, so now I’ve got those coming out my ears.”

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

It's quite hilarious seeing you ONLY hear what YOU want to hear and pawn it off as superior critical thinking

He says it ONLY happens at idle when the car is at a full stop, and when any load is put on the torque converter, it disappears.

Face it, you have just as much (or realistically, probably less) evidence of it being excessive rod side clearance as we do of it being oil cavitation
Sponsored