Sponsored

Another "What's this noise" thread....

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Just noticed this ticking (disclaimer, it sounds a little worse in the video than it does in person). Car was sitting on jack stands for 10 days waiting on new wheels. Finally got it out today and was blessed with this noise. It only does it at idle and when giving it a tiny bit of throttle then it goes away. Can't hear it in the car, and the car is running fine. It's rhythmic for the most part, but also skips a beat sometimes. Sounds to me like its coming from the LOWER half of the engine maybe?

Facts
-1300 miles
-First oil change at 1000 miles. 5w-50 Motorcraft Synth
-No engine mods
-Never romp on it before 190 degrees
-It is cold here now (40 degrees) and this is the first time i've driven it in the cold.
-Idle oil pressure is around 35psi (is this normal?). Quickly goes up when throttle is applied.
-Tick is still there with the heat and AC on/off.

ANY educated advice is appreciated. I really don't want to mess with taking it to the dealer if this is somewhat normal for this car. IS THIS WHAT PISTON SLAP SOUNDS LIKE, or is this something different??
Sponsored

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
sounds like the "bbq tick" that can be heard on some coyotes. Mine has also had this intermittently since new (at 17k miles now)- the mechanic listened with his stethoscope, and confirmed the heads werent making the noise in my case. I've heard of a few others on this forum also

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Maybe a piston is slightly taping?
These forged pistons are so finicky.

Sponsored

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Mine sounds the same intermittently. Mine is stock with 600 miles. Oil is full and PSI is where it should be!

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Sounds like an exhaust leak.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
that tick sounds like a valve to me on the passenger side get a tube and plug on ear then start moving it around and vary the speed. If matches rpm bad lifter

OP
OP

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
that tick sounds like a valve to me on the passenger side get a tube and plug on ear then start moving it around and vary the speed. If matches rpm bad lifter
The tick somewhat comes and goes at idle. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not, but more often it is. And it’s not always a steady tap tap tap rhythm. It will skip beats. When I LIGHTLY press the throttle, the tick speeds up with the engine rpms, but only until about 1000 rpm. Then I disappears.

This all started AFTER the first oil change. Is something different about the “break in oil” vs Motorcraft 5w50?

I’ve got an appt Tuesday with the dealer. Im hoping a educated ear will be able to diagnose it without getting to deep.

Sponsored

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I had something also under or around the engine, i took to the dealer and the heat shield was loose, probably with all the vibration the car makes from the engine.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
The tick somewhat comes and goes at idle. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not, but more often it is. And it’s not always a steady tap tap tap rhythm. It will skip beats. When I LIGHTLY press the throttle, the tick speeds up with the engine rpms, but only until about 1000 rpm. Then I disappears.

This all started AFTER the first oil change. Is something different about the “break in oil” vs Motorcraft 5w50?

I’ve got an appt Tuesday with the dealer. Im hoping a educated ear will be able to diagnose it without getting to deep.
Hello there OP,
My ticking sounded a little more tinny/metallic that yours but the way you are describing it sounds like we have the same problem. Mine was at low rpms too and would tick more the more gas i gave it and would be gone over 1k rpms. It started right after my 3rd oil change but its gone now 500 miles after it. Im hoping yours goes away too but im curious to see what the dealer says. I cant take mine in because of the mods i have.
Good luck! keep us posted please
edit: I dont have a gt350 but a regular GT

OP
OP

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Alight. Took it to the dealer. They admitted they hadn't seen any other GT350s with this issue, and they see quite a few apparently. The service guy put his "best versed tech" on it. Guy seemed like he knew what he was doing (they looked at it right in front of me. He listened to the noise and inspected with a stethoscope all over the engine. He heard the noise under the passenger side valve cover near the front and said it sounded minor and that he wouldn't be overly concerned about it at this point. This noise was not found on the driver's side. They then referenced SSM 46173 which they also let me read in regards to the noises these engines make under different circumstances. The advised me to call immediately if it worsens, and in the meantime "run it like you stole it" for 1000 more miles (car only has 1400 miles on it, and only 300 since 1st oil change, which I did myself) and then bring it back in for a oil change. They want to analyze the oil and filter for any metal containments and go from there. They also said the sound very well may disappear with further miles put on the engine.

From what I gathered throughout our lengthy conversation, the noise alone isn't enough for Ford to dig any deeper without further proof of something wrong. Car runs fine, idles fine (besides the tick), and has no other symptoms. Oil and filter were clean by my inspection on the first oil change. It seems like that SSM 46173 somewhat covers their assess. Now they did say if they find anything in the oil, then that opens up a whole new chapter at which point they with "hotline" Ford for guidence.

Eh, I guess I'm satisfied for now. We shall see where this goes... until then, I'm gonna enjoy the crap outta this thing!

------------------

SSM 46173 – Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.

The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips.

This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore.

This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine.

Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm.

There are no durability concerns with this sound.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I am of no help but I too would be concerned. That is a very noticeable tick. It does sound similar to the tick my F-150 with a Coyote has. Dealership has checked it several times. Say nothing unusual every time. It now has 110,000 miles with zero issues. Has had that tick for about 109,000 of those miles. Good luck.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
my motor is brand new and I hear that too
Sponsored