Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If it's there, it's not very prominent - nothing even close to the Coyote tick video I posted. Diesel engines are noise as hell anyway, so hard to say what the noise really is. Guys worrying about barely detectable noises in a diesel are worse than Coyote guys ... lol.
It must be our speakers then, because your posted video above sounds IDENTICAL to the Cummins diesels I posted above that. Seriously, I hope someone else on here can back me up on this, Cuz man... I'm not dreamin". No matter how much Evan Williams I got in me.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It must be our speakers then, because your posted video above sounds IDENTICAL to the Cummins diesels I posted above that. Seriously, I hope someone else on here can back me up on this, Cuz man... I'm not dreamin". No matter how much Evan Williams I got in me.
Comment in the 1st video said only at cold start - diesels are noisy as hell on cold starts. And comment in the 2nd video said right after and oil change. Hummm ... lost his anti-friction layer maybe? Same YouTube guy uploaded both videos.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The tick I can chalk up to Direct Injection, but that rattle has shown up as cylinder scoring in quite a few cars

That’s a problem, Period

For 40k that shouldn’t happen
The tick actually has NOT been associated with cylinder wall scoring. That's the fear mongering talking

If the tick is caused by excessive rod side clearance (or any other kind of parts clearance problems) it's not going to be a "safety issue" and it's probably not going to hurt long term engine reliability - just like their typewriter tick SSM says.

But Ford certainly isn't going to come out and say it's caused by parts out of specification because that would be admitting to putting out engines not built to engineering specs. They would rather address each noise complaint as they come in.

Why did it take Ford 8 years to say the ticking is "normal" and authorized short block replacements for those 8 years until the typewriter tick SSM put an end to all of that. If the ticking was actually caused by oil cavitation then why wouldn't they just say that since there is nothing they can do about cavitation. If you study oil cavitation in journal bearings, it can actually do quite a bit of damage to the relatively soft bearing surface, yet Ford's SSM says the tick isn't damaging. Another mis-match pointing away from oil cavitation as the root cause.
if the tick is in any way detrimental to the engine, then yes, it would be considered a safety issue by the NTHSA. I've seen plenty of cars with recalls due to engine failures. Basically, anything that can suddenly cause the engine to shut down will be considered a safety concern

Why wouldn't they? You don't think they could announce a slight miscalculation or a routine misassembly? That's pretty much what EVERY recall and TSB is.

Maybe it took Ford 8 years because nobody bitched about the ticking so much before the gen 3 came out. People are getting owners so irrationally scared that everyone and their mother is now listening for a ticking and trying to get a free engine replacement for it. It probably wasn't as much of a financial burden before as it is now, so there was no real need to address it full-scale

^^^ Then why don't all of these engines either tick or don't tick if they all have parts within factory specs? What's different between them to make one engine have oil cavitation or the oil "flash" exiting the bearings and another engine not?
As was addressed in the TSBs that Condor posted, all vehicles do it, but some are just more noticeable than others. The ones that "don't tick" probably are, it's just quiet to the point that you can't hear it over the engine

The Voodoo and GT500 V8s have the same bearing clearances and the Voodoo has high compression, yet you don't hear guys saying the Voodoo has the typewriter tick. There are lots of high compression engines out there that don't tick.
Actually, this is wrong. There's plenty of reports of GT350s ticking the same way all Coyotes do. The GT500 has a relatively low compression ratio at 9:1, so that's not really relevant here

Just for the record, just got my oil changed today. It's ticking again just like it has on the past 2 fresh oil changes. Yet, it has no cylinder wall scoring and I've never used Ceratec or any additives, and still only run 5w20. It'll continue to see track time like it always has before. 13,000 miles and counting, ticking along and pulling hard while doing so

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Well i'm on a bucket list trip across Australia to Sydney and back to Perth - 2018 Jan del 2019. Put Moli in at 3000k. I'm at 7000Kms now (halfway) and all is good.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Half full kinda guy, Hardly. Been clean and sober 26+ yrs pal, glass 1/2 full kinda guy all the way.

Stir the pot, again your way off base, I like the fact you’ve expressed your engine is quiet. I guess I’ll have to take the facts from guys like you, gonna wait til 2020 are avail to order and then decide on a left over 19 or order a 20.

Next up for me is a knee replacement, then hopefully back to my bicycle and a new GT
466AC3AC-4F9F-4DCD-B8CA-39CC6F4F354D.jpeg
First off congrats on being sober...I know the struggles from first hand experience. However, I'm not sure what that has to do with these posts but again congrats. So if I'm reading correctly, you are buying a 2020 GT then????

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
First off congrats on being sober...I know the struggles from first hand experience. However, I'm not sure what that has to do with these posts but again congrats. So if I'm reading correctly, you are buying a 2020 GT then????
Yeah congrats to him. I don't think he got my Shimano sarcasm though. I'm a Campy guy. lol

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The tick actually has NOT been associated with cylinder wall scoring. That's the fear mongering talking

if the tick is in any way detrimental to the engine, then yes, it would be considered a safety issue by the NTHSA. I've seen plenty of cars with recalls due to engine failures. Basically, anything that can suddenly cause the engine to shut down will be considered a safety concern

Why wouldn't they? You don't think they could announce a slight miscalculation or a routine misassembly? That's pretty much what EVERY recall and TSB is.

Maybe it took Ford 8 years because nobody bitched about the ticking so much before the gen 3 came out. People are getting owners so irrationally scared that everyone and their mother is now listening for a ticking and trying to get a free engine replacement for it. It probably wasn't as much of a financial burden before as it is now, so there was no real need to address it full-scale

As was addressed in the TSBs that Condor posted, all vehicles do it, but some are just more noticeable than others. The ones that "don't tick" probably are, it's just quiet to the point that you can't hear it over the engine

Actually, this is wrong. There's plenty of reports of GT350s ticking the same way all Coyotes do. The GT500 has a relatively low compression ratio at 9:1, so that's not really relevant here

Just for the record, just got my oil changed today. It's ticking again just like it has on the past 2 fresh oil changes. Yet, it has no cylinder wall scoring and I've never used Ceratec or any additives, and still only run 5w20. It'll continue to see track time like it always has before. 13,000 miles and counting, ticking along and pulling hard while doing so
I have one of the FIRST Gen 1 Coyote engines in my 2011 GT,the engine was produced in April of 2010,I use Mobil 1 5W 30 and the Fram XG 10575 oil filter, I also use the small bottle of Hyper Lube at every oil change.My engine uses NO oil,has zero noise as far as ticks or rattles,I have owned the Mustang since May of 2010 with 33526 miles on it.Ford must have done something right back then compared to 2018/2019.

Severn Wes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6 speed manual, 2017 VW GTI 6 speed manual
It's not a stupid topic at all. I feel that it is a serious issue than is being covered up. My 2018 developed the tick, rattle, then a knock at idle. The rattle and knock got worse, brought it to the dealer. They had the car 2 weeks- the tech said he definitely heard the rattle- so loud at 2-3K RPM. The SM concluded by saying they had a statement from Ford that the ticking noise was a "typewriter" tick and it was normal. I could have lived with the typewriter tick but knocking at idle and the rattle were too much for me. And they were not going to do anything about my noises. Yes it's covered under warranty if the engine grenades but how many engines other than worn out or very tired engines make the rattle or knocking noise. I never heard it on any new engine ever before in my short life so far. I now drive a "cookie cutter" no frills VW Golf now but the engine makes no noise- and also a 97 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 six. That old six - 22 years old makes no noises either.
Just out of curiosity, what Octane gas are you using? I know they say 87 octane is fine but I choose to use 93. My 2006 GTO with 6 L LS2 engine required high octane gas, now it seems, manufacturers are being pressured into allowing lower octane fuel and compensating with anti-knock engine management. Just seems kind of dumb to me with such a high compression engine.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I have a 2018 GT 6 speed with a 3:55 rear end. I had the tick and it was noticeable which I did not like. Yesterday I changed the oil and went with 5W30 @ 10.000 miles, 2nd oil change. I don't know why but that baby just stopped ticking.???

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, this is wrong. There's plenty of reports of GT350s ticking the same way all Coyotes do.
I just searched YouTube and didn't find any GT350s with the typewriter tick. Also don't recall anyone with a GT350 on this forum posting saying they had the typewriter tick. They may have piston slap, but that's a different noise and cause ... not the typewriter tick. Some people may mistake piston slap for the typewriter tick. If you can supply some links to your claim that would be appreciated. Even if there is a rare one or two GT350s out there, it's way less than reported typewriter ticking on the Coyote.

So if no GT350s have the typewriter tick, then what's different even though they use the same exact bearing clearances as the Coyote. Better build quality in the bottom end perhaps?

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018 GT 6 speed with a 3:55 rear end. I had the tick and it was noticeable which I did not like. Yesterday I changed the oil and went with 5W30 @ 10.000 miles, 2nd oil change. I don't know why but that baby just stopped ticking.???
What oil did you use? Not all oils have the same additives, so some of the quieting might be from the oil formulation. It certainly can't be less cavitation, as the study shows higher viscosity oils are more prone to cavitation inside journal bearings.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My 19 GT ticks, rattles and knocks. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow just have it noted. I know its probably a useless case but I at least can tell myself I tried. Another thing that kinda concerns me is if this thing has 460hp, its sure doesn't feel like it. It seems like my Focus ST had more than this. But maybe it's just me.
Same... same, same, same... I came from a big turbo ST and felt the GT was weak sauce, also had a 450whp Scion FRS, which is why I had to BT the ST. I know the whole N/A vs F/I thing. But my car doesn’t feel close to the ST. It Dyno over 465 whp, but doesn’t feel like it at all. I did have the dealer note the engine noises and the trans issue I have just in case for the future.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Same... same, same, same... I came from a big turbo ST and felt the GT was weak sauce, also had a 450whp Scion FRS, which is why I had to BT the ST. I know the whole N/A vs F/I thing. But my car doesn’t feel close to the ST. It Dyno over 465 whp, but doesn’t feel like it at all. I did have the dealer note the engine noises and the trans issue I have just in case for the future.
this car is very linear and soft below 4000 rpm .if your used to tq this car will feel slow between the traffic lights ..im used to an ls3 that made 801/646 on a mustang dyno and a shelby gt-h that i built with a 3v that made 735@8200 ..this mustang is fast on a roll when its on boil at 7500rpm

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
U asked if I was a 1/2 full kinda guy, so being sober has taught me the 1/2 full attitude is the way to go..Maybe I will and maybe I wont, I like the Coyote and it would be cool if they release a 2020 Mach 1, if not I can always buy a left over 19. I've had so many cars in my 54 yrs on this earth, just not sure which way I will go, a Hellcat, a 5.0, maybe something else but for sure I am l leaning towards the Mustang as I liked the way the 5.0 revs and pulls hard above 3500 right to 7000.

Honestly my post was to see if later factory engine build dates seem to be a bit quieter, from the looks of it they are but that's just an observation, not fact. Hope your not struggling with the booze now bud
Sponsored