Sponsored

Ticking and slight miss during idle

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Noticed i am getting what feels like a slight miss during idle along with a ticking from the passenger side of the engine after the car is fully warmed up. Car has an appointment with ford on Tuesday, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Noticed i am getting what feels like a slight miss during idle along with a ticking from the passenger side of the engine after the car is fully warmed up. Car has an appointment with ford on Tuesday, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Ticking is somewhat normal...check oil levels for sure. If oil level is normal and you experience excessive ticking after the car is warmed up, then that could be a potential sign of an issue.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Haven't noticed a tick in mine but does seem to have a random slight miss at idle now and then at about 7300 miles.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As far as noises go AFAIK all gas engines make lots of noises. Every Mustang I've owned made noises that could be described as a tick.

The slight miss at idle - yes I've had something like that come and go - a slight stutter that happened a few times. I didn't get a CEL and it doesn't happen very often. I can't remember specifically the last time it did.

Good luck with the appointment. I wouldn't take the car in for something like this - I would only do that if it gets worse. What you are describing sounds normal to me. I would be more concerned about getting scratches or dings at the dealership than trying to fix either of the issues you describe.

Unless you have 60,000 miles on the car and your drive train warranty is about to expire .. then heck yes take it in and see if they can find something.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The slight miss at idle is the engine shutting down a cylinder or two to prevent overheating. Pretty sure thats deep in the manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The slight miss at idle is the engine shutting down a cylinder or two to prevent overheating. Pretty sure thats deep in the manual.
Interesting first time i have heard of this.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I kind
I sort of doubt that in the case of my car. I can barely get my oil temp up to 170 F right now after an 11 mile city commute to work.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
I hope not, I love this car and i bought it used so the lemon law wont apply to my situation. I am going to perform the idle relearn process and see if that might cure the slight miss i am having.
The slight miss is normal happens to my car too , nothing to be worried about

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Mine ticks and skips once at idle too. It's always done it so I never really thought of it as an issue. If you do end up taking your car in still on Tuesday, let us know if they give you any insight into why the car skips at idle.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So switching gas stations has helped quiet the noise. i notice that the skip in idle happens right before the ac clutch kicks in.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So switching gas stations has helped quiet the noise. i notice that the skip in idle happens right before the ac clutch kicks in.
That could make sense - it may be the computer kicking the idle up slightly to compensate for the AC compressor kicking on. The bit of lag in timing of the two makes it feel like a little miss.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well car was running great...... now i have a loud audible metallic tick under the car and the idle is constantly rough but no check engine light. Car has no abnormal oil usage and 11k on the clock. Going to take it to Ford on Monday to figure this out.
Sponsored