Sponsored

Sequential pattern...for brake lights...why is it that some frown upon its use?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I want a 4th brake light to flash F1 style while leaving the regular brake lights alone.
But that will distract them from seeing all the other lights and they will crash into you. :headbonk:
Sponsored

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Sorry guys but I have to say that no matter how rear turn signals are designed in the USA, I think having red turn singals is just not as visible as having standalone orange turn signal like many other markets have. It even looks way better when you have a clean red brakelight and an orange led turn singal that functions independently.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hopefully I'm posting this question in the correct subforum.

Curious if there is any actual facts as to why some folks on here don't agree with the brake light portion sequencing?

I've heard its a safety issue...sounds like hogwash IMHO...the sequencing pattern if anything will alert the person behind you to pay more attention. Similar to those blinking 3rd brake light that is common on other makes. At least that is what my brain tells me when I see them.

Thanks ya'll. :cheers:
There are Federal laws about all of that. Sequencing makes brake lights look like turn signals, and that's stupid. Brake lights are full on, and that's how people recognize them. Fuck with that, and you're asking to be hit.

And you WILL lose any legal battle, should you have one.

It's not about what you like, it's about everyone's brake lights acting exactly the same way, so there is no confusion about what a driver is doing.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry guys but I have to say that no matter how rear turn signals are designed in the USA, I think having red turn singals is just not as visible as having standalone orange turn signal like many other markets have. It even looks way better when you have a clean red brakelight and an orange led turn singal that functions independently.
And I think Euro turn signals look like they have HIV/AIDS.

So what?

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Indeed. I disabled the gimmicky sequential turn-signals; they're brighter now. Can't imagine adding sequential brake lights; that'd be stupid IMO (could be confused by some people), but to each his own.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Turn signals are "indicators"

Brake lights are warnings.

Sequencing an indicator is fine. Sequencing a warning can be confusing. Why not have the entire lightbar flash during braking? Because it would be confusing.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue

These tail lights in the video have an ease-in sequence mode (called retro in the video). The sequence is not continuously repeated, just quickly one time and it is barely noticeable by someone not paying attention or if not directly in line of sight.

How would a continuous brake light sequence be distinguished from hazard lights if both are the same color ? If the driver hits the hazard lights while driving is he also braking the same time ? To me a continuous sequence for brake lights would be confusing and distracting since hazard lights and brake lights light up both rear (and front) right and left side the same time.

motorjock205

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red, 2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Have the sequencers on my car and on my wife's car...haven't seen anyone acting like they are going to rear end us at all...I think they get your attention a little better as they are different...

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So most cars have three brake lights. one center and 2 tail. The Mustang essentially has 7... 1 center and 6 tail. with the sequential brake lights the two inner most lights still come on immediately so you still have three brake lights instantly just like any other car. The additional 4 outward brake lights I feel are bonus brake lights and them coming on in a sequential pattern is a attention getter. Either way on a regular car or a Mustang with sequential brake lights you have 3 immediate brake lights coming on so not sure the issue or how some are saying unsafe.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
i cant tell you how many diode modules ive sold with my old job. when it comes to brake lights though i dont touch them. I have a good friend still paying almost 20 years later for tinting his taillights and a high profile lawyer hit him, used the tail light tint as the excuse of not seeing it and won a huge settlement, luckily its not a ton of money out of every check but itll be a "lifetime" payment the lawyer receives because it was well over a million dollars and the insurance wouldnt pay the claim since he tinted them. When it comes to brake lights i just leave them stock.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I work for a county government. Our sheriffs department will tell you not to mess with your brake lights. Any change is likely to be illegal. It doesn't matter what they do, the way they came is the way they were approved. The only thing that is allowed is adding an approved supplemental brake light to a vehicle that doesn't have one.

Any form of illegal lighting makes you liable in an accident.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Might be more useful if the sequencing correlated to how hard you hit your brakes.

E46 BMWs with LED taillights do this; inner section lights up for normal braking, additional outer ring lights up under panic braking.
I've always advocated an intensity indicator. Hard braking is the brightest, maybe with an extra ring. Light braking... really, who cares? Heck, it would help people regulate their speed on the highway without flashing their brake lights every few hundred feet.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
So most cars have three brake lights. one center and 2 tail. The Mustang essentially has 7... 1 center and 6 tail. with the sequential brake lights the two inner most lights still come on immediately so you still have three brake lights instantly just like any other car. The additional 4 outward brake lights I feel are bonus brake lights and them coming on in a sequential pattern is a attention getter. Either way on a regular car or a Mustang with sequential brake lights you have 3 immediate brake lights coming on so not sure the issue or how some are saying unsafe.
The reason the Mustangs can even have sequential turn signals is because a single one of the six bars meets the federal size requirement for a rear light. There are some European cars with sequential turn signals that have to be modified before they can be sold here because the initial light is not large enough.

Federal law prohibits business from modifying the lights. What you can do is up to state law (nhtsa.gov). For instance, NY law VAT § 375 40(b) states

"Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied."

I dont know how you can say the sequential stop lamps are flashing as they light up and stay that way till the pedal is released. In any case, at least in New York, there is no mention of flashing in the law, just that whatever lights up stays that way till the pedal is released. And, a single bar on each side seems to meet the state requirement.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The reason the Mustangs can even have sequential turn signals is because a single one of the six bars meets the federal size requirement for a rear light. There are some European cars with sequential turn signals that have to be modified before they can be sold here because the initial light is not large enough.

Federal law prohibits business from modifying the lights. What you can do is up to state law (nhtsa.gov). For instance, NY law VAT § 375 40(b) states

"Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied."

I dont know how you can say the sequential stop lamps are flashing as they light up and stay that way till the pedal is released. In any case, at least in New York, there is no mention of flashing in the law, just that whatever lights up stays that way till the pedal is released. And, a single bar on each side seems to meet the state requirement.
IM not sure if you are countering what I said or agreeing with it LOL. Seems you are agreeing.. Ill go with that.
Sponsored