Advertisement

Sequential pattern...for brake lights...why is it that some frown upon its use?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I want a 4th brake light to flash F1 style while leaving the regular brake lights alone.
But that will distract them from seeing all the other lights and they will crash into you. :headbonk:

karbate

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6

Ace

Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Sorry guys but I have to say that no matter how rear turn signals are designed in the USA, I think having red turn singals is just not as visible as having standalone orange turn signal like many other markets have. It even looks way better when you have a clean red brakelight and an orange led turn singal that functions independently.

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hopefully I'm posting this question in the correct subforum.

Curious if there is any actual facts as to why some folks on here don't agree with the brake light portion sequencing?

I've heard its a safety issue...sounds like hogwash IMHO...the sequencing pattern if anything will alert the person behind you to pay more attention. Similar to those blinking 3rd brake light that is common on other makes. At least that is what my brain tells me when I see them.

Thanks ya'll. :cheers:
There are Federal laws about all of that. Sequencing makes brake lights look like turn signals, and that's stupid. Brake lights are full on, and that's how people recognize them. Fuck with that, and you're asking to be hit.

And you WILL lose any legal battle, should you have one.

It's not about what you like, it's about everyone's brake lights acting exactly the same way, so there is no confusion about what a driver is doing.

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry guys but I have to say that no matter how rear turn signals are designed in the USA, I think having red turn singals is just not as visible as having standalone orange turn signal like many other markets have. It even looks way better when you have a clean red brakelight and an orange led turn singal that functions independently.
And I think Euro turn signals look like they have HIV/AIDS.

So what?

Reactions: dx2

Elp_jc

Reaction score
First Name
JC
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
Indeed. I disabled the gimmicky sequential turn-signals; they're brighter now. Can't imagine adding sequential brake lights; that'd be stupid IMO (could be confused by some people), but to each his own.

dfanucci

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Turn signals are "indicators"

Brake lights are warnings.

Sequencing an indicator is fine. Sequencing a warning can be confusing. Why not have the entire lightbar flash during braking? Because it would be confusing.

dx2

Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020 MT, Volkswagen Golf

These tail lights in the video have an ease-in sequence mode (called retro in the video). The sequence is not continuously repeated, just quickly one time and it is barely noticeable by someone not paying attention or if not directly in line of sight.

How would a continuous brake light sequence be distinguished from hazard lights if both are the same color ? If the driver hits the hazard lights while driving is he also braking the same time ? To me a continuous sequence for brake lights would be confusing and distracting since hazard lights and brake lights light up both rear (and front) right and left side the same time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement