Same size spacers, different poke?

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
So I just got my car lowered on steeda progressives and put the 20mm spacers on the rear, 1” up front. I didn’t notice it til I got home that the rears are pretty different from the level of poke. I double checked to make sure that the rears were both 20mm. The car was also aligned. Any ideas on what is causing this drastic of a difference ? It’s not bc the car is sitting on a slide curb. It looks the same way when it’s sitting in my garage on flat surface
0AA1B8C7-2984-4AFB-A23B-DA10DEAF8E12.jpeg
B4AEB8EA-EBD7-4588-841A-53E9DE4D7D9F.jpeg
0AA1B8C7-2984-4AFB-A23B-DA10DEAF8E12.jpeg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check if the camber is actually even, left to right.

Anything that isn't camber or offset is coming from the frame/subframe. There are subframe alignment kits that help with this sort of thing.

313_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yousef
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT
The Steeda subframe alignment kit should take care of that, If youre willing to spend a little extra get the BMR Cradle Bushing Lockout Level 2 which should also align the subframe and help you put power down.

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
You need these...https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-irs-subframe-alignment-kit-2015-all-555-4438.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
thanks everyone- I was reading the directions and it says it needs an alignment after they’re installed so is it safe to say this alignment I just paid for was a waste? Lol

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Probably so. It is always best to get an alignment after tearing any suspension components apart.

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
The Steeda subframe alignment kit should take care of that, If youre willing to spend a little extra get the BMR Cradle Bushing Lockout Level 2 which should also align the subframe and help you put power down.
so is it the steeda kit or BMR? Or is the combo together is best?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You have .5 degree more camber on the left than the right. I'd take it back and have them even it out. That is the reason for the poke difference.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It is best to first place it on truly level ground.
Then check whether it is the upper edge of the wheel or also the center of the wheel that is off.
To do that, place a spirit level over the center of the wheel and aim a plumb line upward to the edge of the wheel housing.
Measure the distance of the string to the wheel housing on both sides.
Eye measurement is basically enough, you are only concerned if both distances are nearly the same.

If it is in the center, the problem you have is quite normal axle offset (as we call it over here...).
Actually you can find it on almost every car

Do you really need the bushings from Steeda?
They only ensure that inaccuracies of the unibody from production cannot be compensated.
The subframe simply has to be loosened, pushed over a bit and then tightened again.

An aditional alignment is of course part of the process, no matter what you do.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
You have .5 degree more camber on the left than the right. I'd take it back and have them even it out. That is the reason for the poke difference.
is this something the alignment shop should take care of? Or the shop that did the lowering?
My guess is they may have lowered the subframe to install the springs and it moved but I don’t know who fixes that

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
There is no reason to loosen the subframe when installing the spring.
This will be the way it is from the factory, and is only noticeable now because the tires are closer to the wheel housing.

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Before you spend any money on parts and install take your car back to your alignment shop (not the spring installers) and have them even out your rear camber as @K4fxd mentioned.

It's easy trigonometry but you can use this site to calculate the fender clearance (or difference) for both camber setups:
https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Camber-Offset-Calculator.html

As an example a stock PP tire of height 27.7 inches (703mm) will have a fender clearance/poke difference of about 6mm for a 0.5 degree camber difference which is likely about what you're seeing on your car.

If you're gonna be working on your rear end a lot then it's a good investment to install the Steeda subframe alignment kit before going for a realignment (you'll likely be charged for a new alignment).
If not take your car as is and have them correct their rear alignment.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
There is no reason to loosen the subframe when installing the spring.
This will be the way it is from the factory, and is only noticeable now because the tires are closer to the wheel housing.
Im pretty certain Steeda's spring swap video states to loosen the subframe. I had to do it with mine and a friends car. It made the swap really easy.

But I am betting it's because the camber is .5 different. I would just have it aligned and get the camber to match. My guess is, the tech (if he even know the camber could be adjusted) probably didn't want to mess with the camber on the driver side because it's a giant pain with the fuel filler line right there.

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I don’t even understand what is going on anymore. I got the Chance to wash and really get a good look at the car today and the passenger side front is about a half inch higher than the driver side front. Had the same shop do the work as my last mustang and never had problems. Complete flat driveway
C540A643-A68A-40B7-B86C-18F64806C011.jpeg

A313228F-F777-432A-9BF7-C04EE9F30F58.jpeg
Sponsored