Sponsored

S550 Suspension School - Integral Link IRS

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
All of the "lower and wider" comments can easily be interpreted by the lower roof, hood, and trunk and wider stance. In terms of a lower ground clearance, due to the design parameters of acceptability for approach angles and underbody clearance, I would be surprised if the car had a lower ride height. From the photos online, it appears to be at the same ride height as the S197.

In regards to the tension link clearance, because the rotors sit inboard of the wheel and tire, the wheel would most likely be what would contact the tension link at full lock. Not the rotor.
Ah, forgot to post this yesterday. The '15 Mustang is 1.4 inches lower and 1.5 inches wider, an inch wider track up front, 3 in the rear.

Here's Where It's Bigger and Where It's Not
Fundamentally, the new Mustang's major dimensions are very similar to those of the outgoing car. Its wheelbase is an identical 107.1 inches, its front track measurement is carried over and at 188.3 inches the overall length is essentially unchanged. The new car then goes its own way, sitting 1.4 inches lower and 1.5 inches wider. Compared to today's GT, front track increases by almost an inch, while the rear track expands by nearly 3 inches.
Man, an extra inch in the track is worth 2 in the tire...
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Virtual meaning "Imaginary" and the pivot point (or joint) is the axis. All modern suspension (SLA and MacP) has to incorporate more moving parts to get the clearance a Double Wishbone does.

The suspension diagram above is the basic (and true) Virtual Pivot Control Link. You can see the "Pivot Point" is an imaginary joint beyond the wheel. You can see, on VPCL, you need an upper and lower arm to create the point.
That's a plan view showing either an upper "control arm" or a lower "control arm". Not both, and it doesn't care one iota whether the rest of the suspension comprises some form of SLA or if it's a Mac Strut. And "control arm" is in quotes because strictly speaking it isn't a single arm any more but two components that combine to behave like one.

In front view, that wouldn't even be a suspension capable of bump/rebound travel without by intentional design requiring bending or stretching/compressing of either or both of the two "links" via "link" flexibilities. Links in quotes because they'd also be providing the elastic suspension component function . . . IOW the suspension's spring.

The MacP system uses NO upper control arm but still uses two links that push and pull. Both links house the "Double Ball" joints. and pretty much try am create it's own "Pivot Point" even though the suspension geometry is much lower on the MacP system than it is in an Short/Long Arm.
If you ever try to mathematically model MacStrut geometry, you'll probably find the easiest way is to assume that a VIRTUAL upper control arm exists. You have all of the information necessary to define its direction without needing a second pivot point; all you need to know is one pivot point and a slope. (you know it passes through the point in the strut mount bushing/bearing about which the strut shaft pivots as seen in front view, and that by definition this line must be perpendicular to the strut axis). Any sketch that shows the geometric construction for a MacStrut front view instant center and geometric roll center will show what I'm trying to describe in words.

Virtual Pivot Control Link

The S550

Virtual pivot steering doesn't change a MacP system into a SLA/Double Lower Control Arm. A MacP system is a MacP...
Don't know if I'm glad I missed this thread before or not.

The furthest I'll go into this part of the mess is to suggest that Ford has allowed their marketing people to co-opt a term that makes clear engineering sense for their own labeling purposes. We can see right here what that sort of obfuscation manages to accomplish, and it ain't pretty.

A virtual pivot (meaning a single point rather than an axis of rotation, just in case anybody is making that confusion) only requires two non-parallel links that do not coincide at either end (pivot). Not two arms, or 4 links masquerading as two arms, or 2 links and a real arm, or any other oddball statically unstable mechanism.

Norm

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think the confusion was cleared up. I was talking about Ford's marketed "Virtual Pivot Control Link". They were talking about the virtual pivot point that the "Virtual Pivot Control Link" and the "Double Ball-Joint MacP" try to achieve through two lower control links.

The differences in the two systems are the VPCL uses an upper control arm/wishbone. The MacP strut is the upper control arm.

I refer to "Virtual Pivot Control Link" as VPCL or Virtual Pivot (which I used extensively in the CD4 Thread). They suggested that it was Virtual Pivot, I instantly thought he ment Fords "VPCL". Obviously, Fords VPCL cannot function without an upper arm...

It is difficult to explain some of this in words as you said. I definitely want to make clear the differences between VPCL and DB MacP. A general term like "This is Virtual Pivot" wouldn't have been misunderstood if people here didn't already know about Fords Virtual Pivot Control Link.

The crude diagram is from a Falcon site I believe. It is of the two lower control links. The real pivot point shows the actual motion of the wheel. The right side shows how the two links are positioned (crude). At the time, I was still under the impression he meant VPCL. Without an upper control arm (that he said it didn't have) the suspension would unload. As you said, the MacP systems upper arm is Virtual, and so is the lower arm. The two links work together ( with the fixed strut/upper arm to sustain that point. The upper arm or MacP strut is not shown in the diagram. The diagram is a birds eye view.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd gotten as far into the noise as I cared to for today. Hopefully/presumably we're all more or less on the same page on this, and hopefully I added something new. If I find I have less headache and more patience tomorrow I'll try again.

Just because I remembered something else from earlier in the thread, sta-bars (aka sway bars) most decidedly do not reduce "weight transfer" as the young guy in John's video claims near the beginning. He's got cause and effect a little mixed up and reaches an erroneous conclusion.

Norm

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Ah, forgot to post this yesterday. The '15 Mustang is 1.4 inches lower and 1.5 inches wider, an inch wider track up front, 3 in the rear.

Here's Where It's Bigger and Where It's Not
Fundamentally, the new Mustang's major dimensions are very similar to those of the outgoing car. Its wheelbase is an identical 107.1 inches, its front track measurement is carried over and at 188.3 inches the overall length is essentially unchanged. The new car then goes its own way, sitting 1.4 inches lower and 1.5 inches wider. Compared to today's GT, front track increases by almost an inch, while the rear track expands by nearly 3 inches.
Man, an extra inch in the track is worth 2 in the tire...
I'm pretty sure the 1.4" is the average of the lowered hood and decklid. If they lowered the ride height of the car 1.4", then you are effectively saying that they had no proportional changes to the hood or roof height.

"The hood was lowered 1.3 inches, the decklid was lowered 2.8 inches, and the roof was lowered 1.5 inch.

Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/first-look-2015-ford-mustang-157575.html#ixzz2nrOjz1Mq"

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'd gotten as far into the noise as I cared to for today. Hopefully/presumably we're all more or less on the same page on this, and hopefully I added something new. If I find I have less headache and more patience tomorrow I'll try again.

Just because I remembered something else from earlier in the thread, sta-bars (aka sway bars) most decidedly do not reduce "weight transfer" as the young guy in John's video claims near the beginning. He's got cause and effect a little mixed up and reaches an erroneous conclusion.

Norm
There shouldn't be a mystery concerning the S550. It is pretty close to what BMW and Benz use... They both ditched the Virtual Pivot Link systems for the cheaper and stronger MacP system.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Nah, also confirmed elsewhere. Although I didn't get a number.
Look at a pic of the S550 next to a S197 and make your own educated guess. I highly doubt they lowerd the minimum ride height of the car that much. None of the supplied press photos or cars appear to be that low.

There shouldn't be a mystery concerning the S550. It is pretty close to what BMW and Benz use... They both ditched the Virtual Pivot Link systems for the cheaper and stronger MacP system.
Not sure if it's stronger. Any double A-frame suspension is a lot stronger than a Strut -which has a TON of load and especially side-loading on the damper itself.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
A virtual pivot (meaning a single point rather than an axis of rotation, just in case anybody is making that confusion) only requires two non-parallel links that do not coincide at either end (pivot). Not two arms, or 4 links masquerading as two arms, or 2 links and a real arm, or any other oddball statically unstable mechanism.

Norm
I have a question about this "virtual pivot point" Norm. In Germany, I was taught that the "Pivot" joint is actually made up of an outer pivot link (Lateral link in the Mustang's case) and the inner pivot arm (Strut/upper Control Arm). The actual "Pivot" happens between the Lateral Link and the Upper Control Arm. As in, the outer pivot (Lat Link) rotates around the inner pivot. The Tension Link (the 2nd lower link) actually stabilizes the movement of the pivot action. The common misconception is that the two lower links are what causes the "pivot" action... That is not the case...

The Tension Link stabilizes the pivot action throughout it's range of motion. The actual pivot is between the main and lower link (the Lateral Link) as it pivots around the upper control arm OR, in the Mustang's case, the MacP strut. The old VPCL used an upper A Arm/Wishbone...

Ah yes, the actual pivot on the BMW consist of all three. A 3 way pivot... However, all three arms together make a stable system Norm. Each arm relies on a natural pull/push method for stability. As in, each arm provides resistance/force opposing the other two arms force/resistance. The two virtual control arms (MacP strut and the two lower links) are actually forming a virtual Tripod. Each link (3 total) has a ball-joint...

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I have a question about this "virtual pivot point" Norm. In Germany, I was taught that the "Pivot" joint is actually made up of an outer pivot link (Lateral link in the Mustang's case) and the inner pivot arm (Strut/upper Control Arm). The actual "Pivot" happens between the Lateral Link and the Upper Control Arm. As in, the outer pivot (Lat Link) rotates around the inner pivot. The Tension Link (the 2nd lower link) actually stabilizes the movement of the pivot action. The common misconception is that the two lower links are what causes the "pivot" action... That is not the case...

The Tension Link stabilizes the pivot action throughout it's range of motion. The actual pivot is between the main and lower link (the Lateral Link) as it pivots around the upper control arm OR, in the Mustang's case, the MacP strut. The old VPCL used an upper A Arm/Wishbone...

Ah yes, the actual pivot on the BMW consist of all three. A 3 way pivot... However, all three arms together make a stable system Norm. Each arm relies on a natural pull/push method for stability. As in, each arm provides resistance/force opposing the other two arms force/resistance. The two virtual control arms (MacP strut and the two lower links) are actually forming a virtual Tripod. Each link (3 total) has a ball-joint...
The suspension actually rotates around the line drawn through the upper bearing plate and the intersection point of the lines drawn through the tension link and the lateral link. That point it creates is called a virtual pivot point. So to simplify the language, the axis of rotation is the line drawn through the virtual pivot point and the upper bearing plate. That line is also called the steering axis inclination. That was the diagram I made earlier.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid

Think of the bottom components of the suspension as a 4-bar linkage. You have the tension link, the wheel hub (I think you called this the "main link"), the lateral link, and the frame as the 4 members. Once you establish the kinematics of the 4-bar (based on link lengths and mounting points) the motion is fully constrained by those 4 links. I don't think the statement regarding the tension link "stabilizing" the pivot and the "actual" pivot being between the main and lower link is accurate. In reality, all 4 members are required to control the motion. The forces going through each link will differ certainly, and maybe that's what is meant by your statement. However in terms of controlling the pivot, there is not one link that is more important than another, which is what I am inferring from your previous post.

-T

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Look at the GIF above. The "Virtual Pivot" changes continuously with steering. It's not as simple as a fixed pivot of a traditional 1-balljoint LCA like in the S197:

Edit: I think there is a lot of confusion and cross-referencing in regards to a "PIVOT" with steering vs. pivoting with bump travel (vertical motion). The above diagram illustrates pivoting with steering motion.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Look at the GIF above. The "Virtual Pivot" changes continuously with steering. It's not as simple as a fixed pivot of a traditional 1-balljoint LCA like in the S197:

Edit: I think there is a lot of confusion and cross-referencing in regards to a "PIVOT" with steering vs. pivoting with bump travel (vertical motion). The above diagram illustrates pivoting with steering motion.
I'm not sure who the comment was aimed at but I'm not arguing it's fixed. All that I am saying is where the two points are to figure out the steering axis inclination and by virtue of that, where the suspension pivots around. The virtual pivot point doesn't have to be fixed for it to still be the bottom pivot point! ;)

I'm certainly not confusing the virtual pivot point used for SAI with the front IC or the front RC. The front instant center being the point at which one side of the suspension rolls around and the roll center where the whole car rotates around. Neither are fixed points in space either. When talking about the Tension Link and Lateral link in terms that the virtual pivot point suspension is "inspired" or "based on", we are talking strictly plan view, ie, top down. IC and RC are front view.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think your concern was adequately answered by those who stayed online later last night than I did. A 4-bar mechanism needs exactly four links (and four hinges or pivots). Any fewer than four of each and it won't move geometrically at all; any more than four and it won't be stable and will collapse about itself into some indeterminate shape limited generally by the pivots' ranges of angular motion. Let's mention but not get into how well compliant cylindrical bushings approximate the necessary pivoting, and simply say that they can do this job (more or less).

Another way to grasp the concept of the virtual pivot point here is by considering the two links that define its location as being equivalent to a flexy, stretchy sort of virtual control arm, with the virtual pivot point being its virtual ball joint. Stretchy and flexy is what enables this imaginary control arm's imaginary "ball joint" to wander around a little, which drags the steering axis around with it (try visualizing a control arm that went too far into the psychedelic scene and "saw" itself distort - that's the kind of distortion that virtual points and virtual control arms must look like to conventional rigid control arm geometry . . . and to thinking that's only in terms of individual rigid components).

Norm

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
I am trying my darnest to keep up with this debate about virtual pivot point, upper and lower, outer and inner, front ICs and RCs, and even psychedelic distorting control arms, but I am totaling missing out on understanding what all this terminology means regarding track performance.

I get the fact that the new design is lighter than a traditional A-Arm, and is potentially more adjustable, but what is it likely to deliver in terms of steering control, under/over-steer, steering feel, turn-in, etc?

Did BMW achieve some improvement in racing performance as a result of this design? If so, does anyone know how this steering architecture contributed to the improvement?

Feeling like a dunce. :shrug:
Sponsored