Sponsored

S550 Chassis School

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Saw some roof sections of the S550 at Rapid 2014 in Detroit. Schuyler makes the one piece integrated roof/ A puller. The gentleman I spoke with said not including added features. The chassis is light and much stronger than the SN197. Will post more when I am off the road.
I'm not sure why Ford is obsessed with making the chassis any stronger than the S197 (No N) was. The S197 was beyond plenty stiff. You can jack three wheels from one jacking point without significant body flex.

But, if it's light and strong then I guess I shouldn't complain! ;)
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm not sure why Ford is obsessed with making the chassis any stronger than the S197 (No N) was. The S197 was beyond plenty stiff. You can jack three wheels from one jacking point without significant body flex.

There's both chassis performance and crash performance criteria for Ford to meet. The S197 IMO had great crash protection and I've seen more than a few bad looking crashes where the occupants walked away. However what's good can always be made better. Having said that better crash performance doesn't necessarily need more steel to pass gov't guidelines, just smarter thinking in the design phase.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

One piece Hydroformed inner A/Pillar Roof Structure.

B Billar is Boron, Outer Roof Structure and Inner Structure are DP1000 High Strength Steel, The lower Cowl portion is DP 800. 2mm thick IRRC Where the A Pill tube and the Cowl Structure joined looked to be Laser Welded.

Sorry for the Potato pictures, they looked much clearer...

GTsquid

Wow thanks for posting these. Can you share where these were taken? Looks like some kind of media preview event?

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Nice!!!

Now that we have a US Curb Weight, we can actually see a significant weight loss in the structure. The GT gained 86lbs over the '14, that 3704lbs is based on the new USA Curb Weight Standard. All Standard equipment and any options expected to be on 33% of vehicles sold. The M4 gained 230lbs from EU to US standard. The EU standard is as close to real weight as we can get.

I said before, judging from just the pictures seen here, the structure has possibly lost 200lbs, maybe more. Well, it very well could be more...

The gains from IRS, Driver Knee Airbag, Rear Backup Cam, Heated Mirrors, Larger rear brakes, oil cooler and Driver/Passenger Heated/cooled 6 way adj. power seats as standard equipment are pretty big.

Also, the US Standard also includes popular options. Like the 12 Speaker Shaker, E-Package, Performance Package, Premium Trim, Spare Tire Option w/ jack and the Advanced Security Package with Wheel locks. We just don't know how many options that were factored in. As anyone that has been to the dealer knows, most lot queens are loaded.

From the new standard equipment alone, I see 150lbs in standard equipment weight gain. That is far from the 86lbs the US standard has set. That 150lbs has to be recouped from somewhere, that's 150lbs out of the structure (including glass which is actually part if the crash test structure).

Now, how much of that 3704 is from popular options? What I listed above is about 200-220lbs on the '14. So... There is up to 350-375lbs on the table max. However, it could just be a single option at 20-40lbs, we really can't predict popular options OR, if the Performance Pack and Premium Trim is part of the equitation at all. With the EB and GT manual weights being so close to the auto's, it may contain one or both (Premium Performance Package).

All we know is BMW's M4 gained 230lbs and the M3 gains over 300lbs from EU to US... Same car, different standards. They do have a moon roof, electric rear shade, rear camera and heat rear seats in their E-Pack. They DO NOT have a spare tire option so, that can offset some of that weight. For the most part, the option list is very similar.

If they removed 350lbs from the Mustangs structure, I'll sh!t my pants. It doesn't mean the Mustangs curb weight will be 350lbs from the 3704. It just means that weight from the new standard equipment and new popular option rules had to be compensated in the structure. That's a big deal...

I think Fords fleet wide goal was 10% (or 16%, can't remember), but I remember the actual pounds was 368-ish. This was based on the 2014's 3620 I think... Could their weight reduction plan have been that aggressive?

One thing might be possible, a Recaro'd Base GT could very well approach EU Stabdard 3500lbs flat if optioned correctly. By optioned I mean just the seats. Performance Package will add weight as would the Premium. 30-50lbs for each package.

Option Smart if weight is a concerned. If your not racing , just get what ever you want. Once those popular options are wiped off the curb weight, it could still end up lighter than the 3620lbs the '14 weighed.

As soon as more info is known about each options weight, will can start an Option Weight Thread on M6G. That way, you can see the weights of each option and make an informed decision on your purchase. There will need to be some brave first buyers to tear down and weigh a Mustang so, you may have to wait for actual pictures of scale weights. Unless Ford want to lend me one for a complete tear down and scale session. I would need an engineer present for wiring... Or bring me the book :)

(End)

Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

They also did the engineering for the coupe structure to support the convertible without any additional sub-frame support. Advantages of this would include possibly LITTLE or NO additional support required to support the GT350 and GT500. The 2007 GT took on 125lbs to support the GT500, need to get that down to 40-60lbs...

Keep in mind, no heavy 5.8 or Tremec this time. There's 100 or so pounds saved there.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
As soon as more info is known about each options weight, will can start an Option Weight Thread on M6G. That way, you can see the weights of each option and make an informed decision on your purchase. There will need to be some brave first buyers to tear down and weigh a Mustang so, you may have to wait for actual pictures of scale weights.
I'll gladly take the spare wheel/tire and jack out, but that's about all the dis-assembly I'd do :)

This is the first time I want to actually get a car weighed. I am also looking forward to the upcoming book on the 2015 by John Clor. I hope it has deeper insights and photos of the structure.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Use corner scales with less than a 3% margin of error. I myself would find a shop that uses old school Hay scales. They are more accurate than the Electronic ones. The percentages have to be calculated manually but it's easy to do.

There are accurate E-scales out there, but the calibrations are sometimes questionable. Hay scales (or feed scales) can be calibrated with certified weights and a screw driver before you go on.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Hay scales (or feed scales) can be calibrated with certified weights and a screw driver before you go on.
"Excuse me, Farmer Jones. Would you mind taking that hay off so I can weigh my car" :)