S550 IRS - The Squat and Drag Racing Suspension

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I apologize for the long post in advance.

For you guys that have upgraded suspension for drag racing, how much did you gain ET wise? How much squat is too much with the IRS on the S550? Since they squat no matter what.

One thing I've noticed is, although I'm not getting wheel hop or spinning (with ET Street R's), I can see the rear loading and unloading some by watching videos of my car. Or will upgraded suspension just help on poorly prepped tracks and in Mexico where hooking is much more difficult? If i can pick up a few tenths at the track with suspension alone i will be happy.

I've got a Whippled 2018, 10R80, 3.15's on stock suspension. It makes a little over 800whp. I'm able to cut high 1.4 60's as is on the stock suspension, with decent track prep. Has anyone done any comparisons of before and after their suspension upgrades? I talked to Kelly at BMR before he left and got the most important things recommended for my setup.

Double Adjustable Viking Crusaders <----------- Setting recommendations for positive displacement setups?
BMR IRS Subframe Support Brace
Lower Control Arm Bearing kit
Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit, Level 1
BMR Drag Springs

One thing the IRS does well is squat. I know with the solid rear like the S197 you don't want it to squat much, but with the IRS how do you guys address it? I've never had wheel hop or spun with my ET Street R's unless i did a poor burnout, but like everyone i want to better my ET's. So I'm wondering if you will see much gain with suspension upgrades if you are not spinning as it is?

The new stuff from BMR and Viking going in right now. I'm wondering how much i will even pick up if I'm not spinning.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I can't help you much as far as any gains to be had might be. But I can tell you that in exchange for more squat an IRS mostly eliminates the unloading of the RR tire due to driveshaft torque. This also means a big rear stabilizer bar (antiroll bar) isn't going to be of nearly as much help on an S550 as it can be on most any stick-axle car.

Norm