Sponsored

2015 Mustang IRS to use Integral Link Design?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Less wheel hop than the traditional SLA IRS because the vertical movement is controlled/limited with the I Link.
What it appears to do is get around the CB limitation of choosing between anti-squat and roll steer & bump harshness. The SVIC (IC to drag racers) will be along the dotted line identified as the "side view inclination of lower control arm in the linked sketch.

It looks like the other construction line for determining the SVIC runs through the IL upper pivot and is parallel to a line drawn through the IL's lower pivot and the knuckle's other pivot at the LCA. That would put the SVIC at some distance ahead of the axle line and above the axle center height, and reduction in wheel hop would be for that reason.

The various bushing compliances will modify this somewhat.

As kind of a side note, the actual knuckle translation would be somewhat closer to vertical than the arrow depicts.

Norm
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What it appears to do is get around the CB limitation of choosing between anti-squat and roll steer & bump harshness. The SVIC (IC to drag racers) will be along the dotted line identified as the "side view inclination of lower control arm in the linked sketch.

It looks like the other construction line for determining the SVIC runs through the IL upper pivot and is parallel to a line drawn through the IL's lower pivot and the knuckle's other pivot at the LCA. That would put the SVIC at some distance ahead of the axle line and above the axle center height, and reduction in wheel hop would be for that reason.

The various bushing compliances will modify this somewhat.

As kind of a side note, the actual knuckle translation would be somewhat closer to vertical than the arrow depicts.

Norm
I agree about the vertical angle. It is too difficult to depict the results of a pebble, stone, pot hole or speed bump on the direction of travel. It's a crude diagram... Great eye Norm... You can teach an old dog after all ;)

flyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang GT
I believe I've posted this here before (maybe not) but a gentleman who works for the company that provides suspension and clutch products to Ford (FTE Automotive), lives in Michigan, and has seen the 2015 had this to say:

"It will pretty much be the same rear suspension as the new CD391's and 536 (Fusion and Mkz) awd's"

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ourced-independent-rear-suspension-64097.html

He also pointed towards that older blue 2015 rendering by Wild Speed as being an accurate representation of what to expect, before any of the juicy spy shots came out.

He's since deleted his username attachment, but he made the posts in the comments section here: http://blog.americanmuscle.com/s550-mustang-to-debut-with-1000-limited-edition-2014-5-cars/

They may go to this new design eventually (or even put it in whatever replaces the GT500), but I'm convinced you'll see a slight variant of the Fusion/MKz IRS in the 2015 GT.
Sponsored