Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
After lurking for a while, decided to post. Just a fun post on what you guys think?
So, i've got a co-worker whos got the latest generation rx7 FD. He's gonna race me for an x amount of money in a few weeks on a straight away at our local track. The straighaway is a little over a 1/4 mile. Not sure whether to take him up on the deal or not.

RX7 FD
I know hes got
Some suspension mods
Aftermarket exhaust
Modified the computer (tune?)

16 GT Auto
Is mostly stock with
Lowered 1 inch
Catback exhaust
Upgraded axles.
Filter, no tune, stock tires

You think i can take him from a stop? Im not only putting some money on the line, I'm putting my american pride on the line so I want to know what my chances are. lol

thanks guys
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I assume he's going to win if he wants to race you so badly. A quick internet shows mid 12s for a number of different people in those RX7s. If you are a really good driver and you can hook well you might win, but the tone of your post and the fact that you said stock tires makes me think you will be slower than the best your Mustang can do.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Shouldn't be a problem if he has simple bolt-ons. Those cars run mid to high 13s stock. FDs weigh about 1000 lbs less than a GT though and can be very quick with more extensive mods like bigger turbos, 3 rotor swaps, etc.

He may be set up to run with good tires and all that though. Kind of hard to trust those "just an exhaust and tune" boosted guys.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
from a dead stop they're not that impressive stock, but if it's a roll he could pull big time depending on the mods. I would assume if he wants to race you for money then he's confident and has more than just a tune and exhaust lol. i'd say 50/50. Best of luck!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Many of the guys running mid 12s say they are using stock turbos. With a turbo car a tune can have a big impact if the boost is increased.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
RX7's are highly modable plus they look better than the RX8. Hard to believe these rotary engines are 1.3 liters making tons of power. I don't know a whole lot about the rotary engines but I do know how light the RX7 is. Even with a horsepower deficit, I'd think the RX7 would need a tune to keep up with a GT. With a turbo, intercooler, and injector upgrade, it would surpass a modified GT(N/A). I think they weigh around 2800 pounds stock. So around 800-900 pounds lighter than a GT.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
As long as the bet is affordable to you then why not? Either you win some money or pay some small amount for the fun of it.

My guess is the tune has upped the boost of the turbo. My TT BMW had a modest +2psi warranty friendly boost which made an extra 60whp and 80 TQ.

Or he's lying about what all is done.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Gonna boil down to gearing and driver. HP to weight ratio assuming the RX7 is 275HP @ 2800lb (no driver) AND REALLY STOCK :angel:, and using a very liberal 435HP@4025lb (including driver) on the 2016 the Mustang has the HP to curb weight ratio by a margin. The mazda is 10.18:1 LB V HP, whereas the Mustang is 9.25:1 LB V HP. The RX-7 is a stick shift I am assuming and the Mustang has the trusty 6R80. If you factor a 150 lb Japanese driver in the car the Hp to weight ratio becomes 10.72:1. So the RX-7 driver best be on his A-game shifting. Hard to out shift a modern day 6R80 or newer tranny. These two factors alone give the Mustang the advantage on paper before ever turning the key. However it isn't a night V day advantage. So driver ability and which car hooks better will have as much to do with it as anything. If the Mazda gets off the line and gets more than a fender on you you may still be able to go around him. If he gets half a car or more you better hope he misses a gear. That's how I see it playing out. Your questioning the car's ability when you should be questioning yours. That said, all you have to do is leave right and the car does the rest. So practice leaving a bit and then go at it with him. Then shake his hand, and buy him an Asahi Super Dry with the money you won from him if it turns out that way. Of course this is all assuming again that he does not have an ace up his sleeve....meaning he has done something to the car. A tune could easily give him the edge. He only needs 40 more FWHP at the flywheel to be dead nuts even with you based on weight to HP ratio. Unfortunately we don't have wheel HP numbers which would give a more clear indication IMHO. But this is auto V manual and that along with your stock HP you have a bit more advantage.

When I had my 13 GT manual shift, I made a run against a 14 GT auto. We were both stock and on stock tires. This was at a local track. I am not kidding you I cut a 000 perfect light (even a blind squirrel can find a nut) the only one ever and that guy went around me on the big end by a bumper. 0.017 quicker he was. He ran 12.55 to my 12.87. That was as close to auto v manual as it gets in comparison. So manual V auto even if you are putting less down at the ground you will have a nice advantage. You just can't let him get out too far in front of you.

Good luck. AND PS I STILL HAVE THE 000 SLIP.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Unless you hear a blow of valve like the turbo was swapped. or see a big nitrous bottle. You have nothing to worry about. They’re mid 13 second cars stock. Usually when people wanna race for money. They know they got ya covered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Faceme

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Hahaha, lots of different opinions on here. The engine is stock he assured me. He doesnt drive it much to keep the value. He said he replaced a few things but thats about it. We dont talk much in the office.

Yea, ill take him on the deal. I guess braggin about how bad ass american muscle is compared to the all the jdm stuff they got over here pissed him off. Anyway ill post results in few weeks time. I may buy some much needed stickier tires.

thanks

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Ive owned two rx7 turbos. Bolton (assuming he went true twins and got rid of the sequential sht) and tune its a drivers race. Really isnt a drag car its a corner carver.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hahaha, lots of different opinions on here. The engine is stock he assured me. He doesnt drive it much to keep the value. He said he replaced a few things but thats about it. We dont talk much in the office.

Yea, ill take him on the deal. I guess braggin about how bad ass american muscle is compared to the all the jdm stuff they got over here pissed him off. Anyway ill post results in few weeks time. I may buy some much needed stickier tires.

thanks
Just curious. How long have you been over there? Military by chance? Or just a corporate assignment?

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Big turbo RX7s can be pretty wicked from a roll done correctly. There just aren't that many done correctly or not Vin Diesel'd out at this point. He's going to have to shift with what sounds like OEM turbos or maybe upgraded twins.. just run him.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Gonna boil down to gearing and driver. HP to weight ratio assuming the RX7 is 275HP @ 2800lb (no driver) AND REALLY STOCK :angel:, and using a very liberal 435HP@4025lb (including driver) on the 2016 the Mustang has the HP to curb weight ratio by a margin. The mazda is 10.18:1 LB V HP, whereas the Mustang is 9.25:1 LB V HP. The RX-7 is a stick shift I am assuming and the Mustang has the trusty 6R80. If you factor a 150 lb Japanese driver in the car the Hp to weight ratio becomes 10.72:1. So the RX-7 driver best be on his A-game shifting. Hard to out shift a modern day 6R80 or newer tranny. These two factors alone give the Mustang the advantage on paper before ever turning the key. However it isn't a night V day advantage. So driver ability and which car hooks better will have as much to do with it as anything. If the Mazda gets off the line and gets more than a fender on you you may still be able to go around him. If he gets half a car or more you better hope he misses a gear. That's how I see it playing out. Your questioning the car's ability when you should be questioning yours. That said, all you have to do is leave right and the car does the rest. So practice leaving a bit and then go at it with him. Then shake his hand, and buy him an Asahi Super Dry with the money you won from him if it turns out that way. Of course this is all assuming again that he does not have an ace up his sleeve....meaning he has done something to the car. A tune could easily give him the edge. He only needs 40 more FWHP at the flywheel to be dead nuts even with you based on weight to HP ratio. Unfortunately we don't have wheel HP numbers which would give a more clear indication IMHO. But this is auto V manual and that along with your stock HP you have a bit more advantage.

When I had my 13 GT manual shift, I made a run against a 14 GT auto. We were both stock and on stock tires. This was at a local track. I am not kidding you I cut a 000 perfect light (even a blind squirrel can find a nut) the only one ever and that guy went around me on the big end by a bumper. 0.017 quicker he was. He ran 12.55 to my 12.87. That was as close to auto v manual as it gets in comparison. So manual V auto even if you are putting less down at the ground you will have a nice advantage. You just can't let him get out too far in front of you.

Good luck. AND PS I STILL HAVE THE 000 SLIP.
You must not have read any recent 2018+ threads the 6R80 is old and bad, RX7 might win because the 6R80 is terrible and obsolete.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You must not have read any recent 2018+ threads the 6R80 is old and bad, RX7 might win because the 6R80 is terrible and obsolete.
Why even bring up the 18+? It has no bearing on the discussion at hand. Did I make any reference to the 6R80 being superior to anything other than a manual shift transmission? Uh, no. You may now return to baptizing yourself in the endless wealth of 10R80 article reviews.
Sponsored