Sponsored

Mustang GT vs GT-R

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
look up the price of a brake job on the GT-R that should help you decide.
:lol: that reminds me, dude was a track day with his GT-R towards the end of the day his "See your Dealer Immediately" light came on. Trans flush was like 1200 bucks. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
Sponsored

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
:lol: that reminds me, dude was a track day with his GT-R towards the end of the day his "See your Dealer Immediately" light came on. Trans flush was like 1200 bucks. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
You just answered your own question. :D

GTR is a Cool car and are quite Mythical creatures around here. My wife and I were driving in our car and saw an AMS GTR pull out of a subdivision and I almost crashed watching that car!

Granted, by the time the mods were done on it, it was probably a $200k car, but the sound of that thing was pretty undescribable, not too mention that it RIPPED off of the light faster than anything that I've seen on four wheels!. It's one of those cars that I'd think about buying if I won the lottery, but that's about it for me.

As cool as it was though, The Mustang looks better (my opinion) and it comes down to your budget and what you want to do with the car.

Good Luck with your decision! :cheers:

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Yes, it is definitely the maintenance thing that really irks me. It isn't so much about whether I can afford it or not, I have just always had a problem with things that require so much constant attention. Like I said, I did do some research on it, and I am aware of the costs. If I can have 80-90% of the performance without such silliness, then that is probably what I would go with, thus this thread.

I guess I should have said that this will be my DD, though I work from home so only put about 5-6,000 miles per year on a car.

NVulture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium with PP MT
Just had a friend in a moderately modded '13 gt drag a Gtr the other night. He said the Gtr got him by almost two car lengths on the launch but he reeled him in and overtook the Gtr before the 1/8 mile....

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
hell even a V6 could smoke a GTR ;)

[ame]

Sponsored

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just had a friend in a moderately modded '13 gt drag a Gtr the other night. He said the Gtr got him by almost two car lengths on the launch but he reeled him in and overtook the Gtr before the 1/8 mile....
You forgot the /sarcam part at the end. That didn't happen though. GT-R quarter mile stock is 11.3, 2013 Mustang GT is 12.7. Either way a low 11 second GT is not moderately modded.

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
Not from a dig...

NVulture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium with PP MT
You forgot the /sarcam part at the end. That didn't happen though. GT-R quarter mile stock is 11.3, 2013 Mustang GT is 12.7. Either way a low 11 second GT is not moderately modded.
Could be he's got more done to the car then he admits or he's full of it. He's taken me for a ride in the car and it is scary quick...

Will update with his list of mods when I talk to him again.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Speaking of the GT R I came out of the gym the other day and saw a silver GTR parked in front of a shoe store next to the gym. I walk over and am looking at the GT R when this woman comes out of the shoe store, she's probably late 30's, walks over gets in the GT R. I wait there because I want to hear it run. She starts it, backs up, and then proceeds to drive out of the shopping center doing about 30 over at least 4 different sets of speed bumps. No slowing at all. cringe

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
My buddy with a 2013 5.0 and a Paxton charger beat this guy's brand new gtr from a dig the other night..

Sponsored

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Well, I have owned a GT-R. I recently sold my 2014 Black Edition. I can say that these two cars (now have a 2015 GT) are not in the same class. Both are great, and both do what they are meant to do in very different way.

I will say the comment about the 'torpedoing transmission' is false. 2009 had issues, beyond that nothing. Very few drivetrains have exploded and those that have had excessive power increases.

Maintenance wise the vehicle is not that scary, but it will depend on how you drive. A trans/diff flush is $1800 and will be required if you reach a certain temp, but if you monitor that on the track, no worries. The average buyer/driver who doesn't track will make it 36,000 miles without needing to change this. Oil is under $100 for the change. Brakes aren't that bad, tires killed more than the brakes. $850 per tire.... ugh.

I LOVED my GT-R, hands down the best car I have ever owned or driven, a true beast and destroyer of nearly every other product on the road. However, I much prefer owning a GT for a few reasons. Cost is one, less attention is another, and a few more. I will own another GT-R one day, but right now, for 70k (Canadian pricing) less than my GT-R I can enjoy a car that is about 90% as fun to drive, so it is a no brainer really.

BGolden

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rip tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang & 2015 WRX STI
As someone who has built over 50 GTR's from 1000-550 hp and owns a 14 and a 15 Mustang they are 2 different cars completely.

I would budget 2500 in maintenance a year for the GTR if you are going to run it hard for fluids and so forth. They are very robust and very well made vehicles. With the new transmission software there are no more tranny issues. If you change the clutches the trans can handle 1000 whp no problems. Plus bolt ons can go 10.20s or lower

The mustang is much more raw and not as sharp as the GTR. Although the 15 is a huge step forward over the 14.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is a dyno graph of a 2013 gtr we did with upgraded turbos. We had to back the boost down early as this is a stock motor car.
SBD turbo GTR Dyno.jpg

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Yeah, based on my little bit of research regarding maintenance:

Transmission fluid changed every 18,000 miles
Brakes changed once per year
Tires changed every 18 months?

It is the frequency with which this needs to be done that bothers me.

But if it isn't quite this bad, then that might be more reasonable.

However, several people have said that they are very different, both great in their own way. Njarmstrong, could you elaborate a bit on that?

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Well said BGOLDEN, I recently drove a 2013 GT-R and let me tell you, its unbelievable. There is a reason they cost 100K new, and a good 2013 is in the 80K's...BUT I think the New GT350R is as good looking if not better. Although, I don't need the carbon ceramic brakes for 8K plus, and not crazy about the sound deading removed for what? maybe 40 lbs, and the resonator deleted....I do like the fact that it is even lower to the ground, and the wing on the back and the chin spoiler are great...so lets see when you can order one yes?

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Yeah, based on my little bit of research regarding maintenance:

Transmission fluid changed every 18,000 miles
Brakes changed once per year
Tires changed every 18 months?

It is the frequency with which this needs to be done that bothers me.

But if it isn't quite this bad, then that might be more reasonable.

However, several people have said that they are very different, both great in their own way. Njarmstrong, could you elaborate a bit on that?
Trans/Diff change is not 18k unless you are driving it hard, often. Same with brakes, they will last as long as you want them to based on your driving. If you are doing 100-0 stops as fast and hard as you can non stop they will burn through the pads quickly. 18 months on the tires seems quick, based on my wear about 24-36 months and I drove it everyday, but no tracking. In a year I lost only 2/32 of tread so not bad, I have another 4/32 to go before they were in the 'replace' territory. Those were the stock Dunlops, MPSS last longer so that would change things a bit.

The GT-R is just an all around better car. It is really hard to explain. The ride is different, the power is different, the interior and exterior all are great. While it is a production line built car it feels hand built, not just the engine/drive train. But it has its quirks, it rattles a bit, lots of sound from the DCT. I actually thought I would never go back to a manual I enjoyed the DCT so much, but the 6 speed is wonderful on the GT.

The biggest thing I would say about buying a used GT-R is that it is all about service history. Not every owner will be detailed about it. If the car has been serviced properly move forward without worries, if not I would stay away. The guy who bought mine had literally every single thing ever done to it including every gas refill. But I track that stuff for all my cars, not just the GT-R.

I wouldn't have sold it if I didn't feel it was the right thing to do. I purchased it outright and needed to free up the funds for it due to an investment that came up. I kept a chunk behind for another car.

Like Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear said in 2009 and recently stated again about the 2015 GT-R - "They haven't built a new car here... they've built a new yardstick."

The biggest drawback for me now is that the car has slowly priced itself out of affordability for most people. When it first came what it could do, at the price it was at, was astonishing. Now you are in 911 price ranges. Your value goes down even though performance/fun to drive is still better in the GT-R - but the finish of the 911 for the same price is better as an example.
Sponsored