Sponsored

Mustang GT vs GT-R

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
I am curious how these two cars compare.

I had decided to buy the 2015 GT as soon as it got just a little warmer, but after reading all these other versus threads, I decided to take a quick look at what a used GT-R would cost.

Seems like you can get one with really low miles and already conservatively modded for around 65K.

But I have no idea how these two cars compare with each other performance-wise. I have always lusted after the GT-R and TBH never cared for Mustangs or muscle cars in general, but this new Mustang actually looks just as good if not better than the GT-R. Actually, there was a picture of one, I think it was the 350, that looked like an updated version of the infamous Supra!!!

I have always wanted to try a V8 and I prefer manuals, but GT-R!!!

Anyway, I am curious about this and was surprised this thread hadn't already been made. I assume the GT-R is the better car, but by how much? How much would it actually cost to make a GT compete with a stock GT-R?
Even if adding a blower or turbo, how much power is just going to be too much where the AWD of the GT-R is just going to laugh at the GT spinning its wheels?
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
AWD makes a huge difference. I had looked for GT-Rs too however, the cheapest one the I could find was $80k. I thing that the Mustang looks better but the GT-R would destroy it on the track. At $65k, I would be really tempted to buy the GT-R.

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
My honest opinion? As a person that has driven and riden in a few moderatly modded GT-Rs on track. Youd probably get bored over time. To me the lack of a manual gearbox really did a number on how visceral the experience was. AWD/ Flappy paddles = easy mode *yawn*. Save 20-30k and put that into your GT and Id bet serious money the smiles per gallon will be huge compared to that slightly modded 65k GT-R. Yeah its not AWD, but who cares, we buy cars that we love and enjoy driving. Unless youre living on a race track every weekend and track times are ESSENTIAL, skip it.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nemesys, thanks for the insight.

When I was younger I probably would have cared more about ultimate track performance, but I think now what I am after is that feeling going down the first drop in a roller coaster. Which car do you think produces that feeling better?

And yeah, I was extremely disappointed when I realized GT-Rs were only available in automatics.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hint on buying used GT-R's: Make sure to have a mechanic check the transmission / differentials / driveshafts VERY carefully. They're notorious for torpedoing transmissions, and it's a $25,000 (yes, really) fix. Some of the newer models have software upgrades that supposedly put less strain on the transmission, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Sponsored

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Nemesys, thanks for the insight.

When I was younger I probably would have cared more about ultimate track performance, but I think now what I am after is that feeling going down the first drop in a roller coaster. Which car do you think produces that feeling better?

And yeah, I was extremely disappointed when I realized GT-Rs were only available in automatics.

The two cars that have ever given me that roller coaster feeling have been a 800rwhp GT500 and a twin turbo C6 Z06. Possibly because it felt so raw and uncontrollable lol But it was truly bad ass. The modded GT-Rs Ive driven and ridden is basically just gave me that airplane take off feeling, nothing that was :eyebulge:.

My 15 GT feels just as fast as my 498rwhp 3 valve GT did, but its basically bone stock. Im really impressed with how the car feels out of the box. The chassis and suspension changes make a world of difference coming from the S197 platform. The only other cars I would consider if they had more power out of the box would be the EVO or STI, but the thing is to get big power out of them they will require you to build the motor. Not something I really was too keen on for a car that would cost me around 30k. Plus the interior on the EVO reminds me and feels way too much like a base lancer, kinda the same with the STI.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Other cars you can't get with a manual transmission:

Any Lamborghini
Any Ferrari
Any McLaren
Any Bugatti
Any Mercedes (except the SLK250)

Manuals are a dying breed; enjoy them while you can, if you can (I personally don't know how to drive one and tried learning but can't).

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
I dont think they are a dying breed, but I just think they're going to be less and less available, especially in more expensive cars. Lets face it, most people that can afford one of those cars you listed are rich/old/and too busy fondling that hot blonde gold digger in the passenger seat to be concerned with clutching and shifting. haha

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for G-force thrills, the GT-R is going to be a better pick. I'm finding my GT to be good in most objective performance categories, but what's selling me on this ownership experience is the intangible side; rowing through the gears, blipping the throttle to hear that V8, getting a little tail-out action, and just enjoying the character that oozes from every part of this thing. You'll love the Mustang for reasons that would be totally different from the GT-R, but they're both great machines.

The GT-R will give you way more straightline thrust (stock or modded), provide more stability under cornering, steer better, shift better, etc. but there's more to driving than sheer performance.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Also, keep in mind that it isn't just initial cost to purchase. Cost over time is real important unless you have enough to budget it in.
When I checked into getting one a few years back the insurance was sky high as compared to other cars I was looking into.
My debate at the time was between a used GT-R and a new Cadillac CTS-V and a new Mustang GT500.
Ended up not buying any of those three.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The GTR would be like a fine, electric shaver. State of the art, automatic... expensive and more difficult to replace.

By no means is that option out of the question, in fact, I have a few high end shavers myself.

Although, in my experience, a disposable razor is just more for me. The GT fits this category nicely. Past Mustang's have been a Blue handled Bic... true... but these new cars, even last Gen have been more Mach III. These GT's are fine for what they cost and what they cost to replace. They are useful EVERYWHERE and, most people carry them.

If you want to drop jaws effortlessly on track days, a GTR is going to help you more. If you want to compete, then a GT will get you farther than the GTR. You will likely get banged up, might as well just get that out of the way in practice if you can...

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
If you want to drop jaws effortlessly on track days, a GTR is going to help you more.
haha I dunno, go to most track days GT-Rs are so common to see they arent that mythical creature you occasionally saw anymore. Youre just like " oh a GTR....cool" :shrug:

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
The AWD, while a big advantage, can be neutralized with a good suspension/tire set up at the track, but will be unequal on the street at low speeds. So if you're looking for a little stop light to stop light fun, the GT-R is going to have a big advantage there.

As far as power numbers goes, the GT-R will obviously start higher, but with the money saved on a new GT a nice forced induction setup will easily fit into your budget and would equal the playing field. Also, I think the 5.0's ceiling for power is similar to the GT-R's. After some research it seems most GT-R owners don't advise going much above 650bhp on stock internals, which I would imagine the new 5.0's will be around as well. So as far as acceleration/trap speeds go I think you'd be happy with what the GT could offer. Moreover, with the money saved, if you really wanted more, you could afford some stronger internals and push it further (but you'd also have to pay attention to the IRS and transmission as well).

Around the track I'm not sure you'd have the budget to match the GT-R's handling numbers.

There are pro's and con's to both, I'd test drive each and go from there.

One of the funnest parts about owning a car is modifying it though. I'd personally go with a stock GT and have the 20k+ left over to really have some fun with. But, eventually you'll see a lot of those around. The GT-R will have more of a head turner status so if that's important keep that in mind.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I have done some research about the cost of insurance and maintenance for the GT-R. In my case, insurance is negligible, 50 dollars more per 6 months over a new Mustang GT.

The maintenance, however, needs to be budgeted at around 3K per year, every year. Because of this, if I do choose to go with the GT-R, I will have to pay off my current car first, then use the sale of that to offset the loan payment enough for me to feel comfortable. That will probably be another 2 years. I could afford to get it now, but I really don't want to budget that much every month just for a car.

I wouldn't want to modify a GT-R past the point of needing stronger internals. I might be willing to with the Mustang. I wouldn't want to go all-out at once though, as like you guys have said, that is half of the fun.

Would definitely love to test drive both, but the GT-R would be hard to do. I would likely have to buy the car half-way across the country! Haven't had a chance to test drive the Mustang either yet as it has been too cold lately.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
look up the price of a brake job on the GT-R that should help you decide.

This part of your post

"The maintenance, however, needs to be budgeted at around 3K per year, every year. Because of this, if I do choose to go with the GT-R, I will have to pay off my current car first, then use the sale of that to offset the loan payment enough for me to feel comfortable. That will probably be another 2 years. I could afford to get it now, but I really don't want to budget that much every month just for a car."

Says I cant afford the GT-R
Sponsored