Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
good idea.
these cars are not good in so many ways. not only built cheaply they dont drive good either. not fast. raspy weak sounding motors. endless issues. i sold mine and glad to get out..
stick with corvettes or camaro's
much much better cars in everyway. the gen6 camaro is simply in another league compared to the s550.
i jumped ship when my aircon failed. huge problem this is. cost thousands to repair aswell.
mine had terrible drivelink clunk.
water leaks
hood flutter made it dangerous.
was a very happy day when i part exchanged it in
New name same old rubbish ...
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Yes and no. For sure you donā€™t see rotten cars driving around. As mentioned JLR have issues and I gather Mercedes 30 year corrosion warranty is worthless so read into that whatever you will. Whilst out and about today I didnā€™t see any newish cars with obvious body corrosion but alloys are a different story. Pics from a Toyota and an Evoque...
Am I right in thinking this is caused by salt? If so I wonder what the undersides are like :shock:

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Am I right in thinking this is caused by salt? If so I wonder what the undersides are like :shock:
I used to watch the series wheeler dealers. What always astounded me about the UK cars is how corroded and grotty the undersides , wheels and engine bays are.
I think you are spot on about the salt. Add to it the very wet climate for a large portion of the year and there is a prime recipe for corrosion.
Definitely living in a dry and salt free environment will make a world of difference.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
No. In the case of the Mustang it is pre-painting contamination with steel resulting in galvanic corrosion. Salt makes no difference to Aluminium, it oxidises in fractions of a second when exposed to air on the surface and doesn't continue, unlike rust in steel that carries on until it is all gone.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I used to watch the series wheeler dealers. What always astounded me about the UK cars is how corroded and grotty the undersides , wheels and engine bays are.
I think you are spot on about the salt. Add to it the very wet climate for a large portion of the year and there is a prime recipe for corrosion.
Definitely living in a dry and salt free environment will make a world of difference.
With rust - yes

Aluminium - no

Plenty of garaged cars get aluminium corrosion.

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
No. In the case of the Mustang it is pre-painting contamination with steel resulting in galvanic corrosion. Salt makes no difference to Aluminium, it oxidises in fractions of a second when exposed to air on the surface and doesn't continue, unlike rust in steel that carries on until it is all gone.
I have seen first hand what salt does to aircraft aluminium. Itā€™s very corrosive.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I have seen first hand what salt does to aircraft aluminium. Itā€™s very corrosive.
Sorry yes, but I was referencing the problem with painted panels. The corrosion is from under the paint so the salt makes no difference in that case.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Getting back to the original post, I had this corrosion on my bonnet in December. Complained to customer services and kept on their tail until February when they paid for a new bonnet to be installed. I was always polite but very firm and made sure I had all my facts including quoting the US TSB. The key was the body shop supported me and strongly stated the corrosion came from underneath (covered 12 years for a hole from inside). I nearly lost out as the book wasnā€™t stamped but the invoice for my second service did state ā€˜body and paint inspectedā€™ and they accepted my legal argument that this is as good. If you donā€™t get a good response you should contact the Motor Industry Ombudsman. Just donā€™t get fobbed off.
Good luck
David

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well thanks to Fords sh*t dealers Iā€™ve moved away dealer services blissfully unaware that this invalidates the corrosion warranty... Iā€™m sure thereā€™s laws about small print somewhere. itā€™s getting close to ā€˜lemonsā€™ when Ford walk away from pretty much every concern on my car. Really interested to hear how anyone else gets on once 3 year warranty is expired

Mustang_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Triple Black
My car is an October 2016 build date, its always garaged, always clean, its done 15,000 miles in dry conditions and it has no spacers and stock wheels so hasn't been stone chipped by wide rubber. I recently noticed some bubbling of the aluminium on the front wing right at the front of the wheel arch.

I took my car to the local ford bodyshop today to have the rust examined. The upshot is, because my car is now over 3 yrs old, the rust on the front wing will not be done under warranty. They also pointed out that unless you pay Ā£10 at every other service and specifically request the paintwork be inspected your bodywork warranty is voided. Dealers do not point this out but its in the small print in the service book. Ford dealers also don't make you aware via an upselling process.

The inspector almost smiled when he suggested "they all do that sir, it's an aluminium panel...." He also said they would simply sand it down and repaint it, not replace the panel as per the TSB advice.

I shall be complaining to ford tomorrow to see if they are prepared to make a good will gesture, however i'm not prepared to pay ford any money to sand and blow over the problem. It looks like we may have to simply accept that after a few yrs, our s550;s will look pretty grotty, or you will need to fit aftermarket carbon/fibreglass panels.

In the mean time I would suggest everyone keeps a really close eye on where the front wings meet the bumper and round the wheel arches for slight bubbling under the paint. If you are still within those 3 yrs take action with your dealer asap. I would also advise anyone interested in buying a Mustang not to touch a Ford with a barge pole. There are other manufacturers available who know how to build a car properly and how to keep customers.
5 years unlimited miles for corrosion from warranty start date. Aluminum panel corrosion doesnā€™t need to break the surface. Just had my hood done(replaced and painted) Wash my car and towel dry every week (daily driver). Noticed it 15 days before the 5 year mark. Whew!

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Well thanks to Fords sh*t dealers Iā€™ve moved away dealer services blissfully unaware that this invalidates the corrosion warranty... Iā€™m sure thereā€™s laws about small print somewhere. itā€™s getting close to ā€˜lemonsā€™ when Ford walk away from pretty much every concern on my car. Really interested to hear how anyone else gets on once 3 year warranty is expired
but if getting the car serviced at Ford doesn't give you cover for corrosion warranty (because they simply dont tell you that they dont do the checks and therefore you dont get the stamps in the service book) then how can it be a warranty? Seems like getting any work done by Ford is a waste of time for most of us. That blows :frown:

Mustang_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Triple Black
but if getting the car serviced at Ford doesn't give you cover for corrosion warranty (because they simply dont tell you that they dont do the checks and therefore you dont get the stamps in the service book) then how can it be a warranty? Seems like getting any work done by Ford is a waste of time for most of us. That blows :frown:
You donā€™t need to have the vehicle serviced there to have warranty. Corrosion warranty has nothing to do with service work Look in your warranty booklet or go online at owner.ford.com or call Fordā€™s Customer Assistance Center. Explorers and Mustangs have this concern.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Once again some rotten apple dealers, but some very good ones. My dealer has always completed the service book for the bodywork warranty on every car I have had from them for many years without prompting or charging

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Once again some rotten apple dealers, but some very good ones. My dealer has always completed the service book for the bodywork warranty on every car I have had from them for many years without prompting or charging
The previous service I never mentioned the corrosion check at the yearly service as I didn't think i needed to ask for it. Learned my lesson from here so I asked about the corrosion check on my last service. Picked the car up afterwards and they never mentioned anything about the undersealing i got done previously by a 3rd party which means it's either all peeled off or Ford never even noticed / looked under the car. Filters, spark plugs windscreen fluid etc are all in the service manual / SOP so why isn't the corrosion check.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The previous service I never mentioned the corrosion check at the yearly service as I didn't think i needed to ask for it. Learned my lesson from here so I asked about the corrosion check on my last service. Picked the car up afterwards and they never mentioned anything about the undersealing i got done previously by a 3rd party which means it's either all peeled off or Ford never even noticed / looked under the car. Filters, spark plugs windscreen fluid etc are all in the service manual / SOP so why isn't the corrosion check.
It is on the service checklist generated on ETIS under Extended period maintenance - visual body and paint check, near the bottom. It is in the same category as things such as brake fluid changes and coolant changes so should be added to the service as appropriate for the mileage / age (varies by model as some Ford cars are on 2 year intervals)
Sponsored