Rusting bodywork

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
I think that's the wrong TSB. I quoted TSB 19-2026. Google it and you can download the PDF. I would tell them "The issue of galvanic corrosion is clearly recognised by Ford in the US under TSB 19-2026 and as our car came from the same production line in Flat Rock, it is reasonable to expect the same remedy in this country".
Here's the link
Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford just get better & better...

Ford customer service advised me the nearest approved body shop, who are no longer an approved bodyshop...

After some calling round, the nearest approved bodyshop needs all warranty work approved by a Ford dealer before starting

the dealer wants to book the car in to assess it - even though they donā€™t have a bodyshop, which is chargeable if the claim is rejected!!!

After complaining, the dealer advised that warranty work is underwritten by Motor Assured warranty, who turn out to be the AA Mickey Mouse warranty hotline...

and this wasnā€™t the dealer who told me my tail lights should fill with water, just another ā€˜couldnā€™t care lessā€˜ national franchise

honestly Ford after care is just 1 total cluster f*ck...

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
honestly Ford after care is just 1 total cluster f*ck...
harsh but true lol

I had VERY different experiences re warranty work as some of you will know. The big Fordstore with an approved bodyshop nearby were utterly awful. Wouldn't go there if you paid me.

Found a small independent Ford dealer who were happy to take on the work, and I wouldn't use anywhere else now. Excellent service team, enthusiastic for the Mustang and handled the warranty work with no arguments, and for a fairly complex issue it was a perfect repair.

Advice to anyone in this position - phone around, you never know what smaller dealerships will be able to offer.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
oh yes, I will not darken their doorstep again...

The problem with franchised dealers is itā€™s difficult to achieve a standard consistently, so it becomes a lottery. we have to be mindful the dealers bread n butter is Fiesta and Focus, hence my cynicism
Go on recommendations from real people. Plenty of really good (generally smaller privately owned) dealers about still. Fiesta and Focus are probably better built. The Ā£30k Fiesta isn't far away!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
harsh but true lol

I had VERY different experiences re warranty work as some of you will know. The big Fordstore with an approved bodyshop nearby were utterly awful. Wouldn't go there if you paid me.

Found a small independent Ford dealer who were happy to take on the work, and I wouldn't use anywhere else now. Excellent service team, enthusiastic for the Mustang and handled the warranty work with no arguments, and for a fairly complex issue it was a perfect repair.

Advice to anyone in this position - phone around, you never know what smaller dealerships will be able to offer.
Agree. Peter Stirland Ltd and Elkins Ford between the two of us are proper privately owned dealers that really care. The big chains around here are painfully bad.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Agree. Peter Stirland Ltd and Elkins Ford between the two of us are proper privately owned dealers that really care. The big chains around here are painfully bad.
Peter Striland is my go to. Actually heading there tomorrow for them to investigate a minor creak/knocking sound in the rear. Obviously out of warranty but happy to leave them to it.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Go on recommendations from real people. Plenty of really good (generally smaller privately owned) dealers about still.
Youā€™re absolutely right. Except I donā€™t know many other Ford drivers! I now use a great independent recommended by a fellow Mustang owner, but clearly warranty needs to go back to Uncle Henry.

a mate with a Mondeo rep mobile similarly has had run ins with the useless local dealer

2 other local dealers closed last year, I assume due to COVID impact, so without them itā€™s a trek.

Not many Ford agents left in the North East and the mergers of big chains like Virtu/Bristol St is eating up all the smaller agents.

Anyway the task continues...

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Peter Striland is my go to. Actually heading there tomorrow for them to investigate a minor creak/knocking sound in the rear. Obviously out of warranty but happy to leave them to it.
My son just bought an ST3 Fiesta from them - all went very smoothly and bullshit free (unlike large chains)

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Youā€™re absolutely right. Except I donā€™t know many other Ford drivers! I now use a great independent recommended by a fellow Mustang owner, but clearly warranty needs to go back to Uncle Henry.

a mate with a Mondeo rep mobile similarly has had run ins with the useless local dealer

2 other local dealers closed last year, I assume due to COVID impact, so without them itā€™s a trek.

Not many Ford agents left in the North East and the mergers of big chains like Virtu/Bristol St is eating up all the smaller agents.

Anyway the task continues...
i'm not sure that warranty work HAS to go to Ford. Sure you have to use the correct parts ie order them from Ford but does that mean the work actually need to be done by them. That would mean your MOT has to be done by them otherwise your warranty is void

Sponsored

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
For anyone in the South East, I recommend Auto Technics of Maidenhead. They are Ford approved, have manged several claims related to Mustang galvanic corrosion and will fight your corner once they confirm you have a genuine case that can't be fixed with a repair. Their quality is brilliant and they cover most major brands including being 'BMW Bodyshop of the year' which can't be an easy one to win! Oh yeah, and a courtesy car thrown in.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Contacted my sleeping dealer principal today for an update on my Jan 2020 bonnet warranty paintwork claim.

Didnt seem to think no contact for five months and not replying to my e mail from six weeks ago was a problem as he had been in and out of the dealership quite a lot.

As I started the whole process with them I am reluctant to start the process all over again especially as it is now out of warranty.

One comment of interest was he said he had two other Mustang customers with similar issues though neither have been waiting as long as me.Does that sound familiar to anyone out there?

Anyhow next update in a couple of months.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
aye, the dealers dont care about shoddy workmanship as they have enough people coming through the door not to worry about a few bad jobs.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Contacted my sleeping dealer principal today for an update on my Jan 2020 bonnet warranty paintwork claim.

Didnt seem to think no contact for five months and not replying to my e mail from six weeks ago was a problem as he had been in and out of the dealership quite a lot.

As I started the whole process with them I am reluctant to start the process all over again especially as it is now out of warranty.

One comment of interest was he said he had two other Mustang customers with similar issues though neither have been waiting as long as me.Does that sound familiar to anyone out there?

Anyhow next update in a couple of months.
My experience was about 10 weeks from beginning to end. Once the car went in for inspection, Ford customer services called the bodyshop and me twice a week for progress updates. One thing to understand is Ford Customer Services and Ford Warranty Department do not talk to each other! (crazy eh!) Customer services talk to you and the bodyshop, the Warranty department talk to the bodyshop only (via email). You need to drive the whole process. Not all the Customer services reps are the same. If you find a good one, always ask for them via name. As long as you formally reported it before your warranty ended it's fine. Also, if proven to be galvanic corrosion from beneath, that's 12 years!

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As long as you formally reported it before your warranty ended it's fine.
And understood that you had to ask for the body and paint inspection to be done bi annually as its excluded from the service

And pay for the body and paint inspection (nominal Ā£20 fee but thereā€™s a principle here)

And if you bought the car used, ensured that any previous owners have understood and complied with the same bizarre rules...

Will let you know how I get on fighting this one
Sponsored