Sponsored

Rusting bodywork

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
It is on the service checklist generated on ETIS under Extended period maintenance - visual body and paint check, near the bottom. It is in the same category as things such as brake fluid changes and coolant changes so should be added to the service as appropriate for the mileage / age (varies by model as some Ford cars are on 2 year intervals)
i did not know this, thanks for the info. In these Covid days garages really don't want anyone in their space a second longer than needed so it's difficult asking them if they did xyz or whatever. My three years is up for mechanicals and I doubt i'll be heading back to a main dealer anytime soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
can anyone point me towards a UK ford dealership where they have replaced an aluminium panel under the 12 yr corrosion warranty without any push back? I am willing to travel to any UK dealership to get this looked at and dealt with properly. I can confirm that Evans Halshaw Manchester is not one of these dealers.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
can anyone point me towards a UK ford dealership where they have replaced an aluminium panel under the 12 yr corrosion warranty without any push back? I am willing to travel to any UK dealership to get this looked at and dealt with properly. I can confirm that Evans Halshaw Manchester is not one of these dealers.
How about a TrustFord dealership as aren't they actually owned by Ford? You would think they would have a marginally better relationship with Ford HQ. I'm probably taking crap but it's got to be worth a try.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
You should ring Ford Customer Services for a list of approved Body Shops in your area (some will be Ford dealers, other's won't). If you go to a bodyshop, they want the work, so will make your case. For them, pushing back would be turning away work! Talk to the bodyshop manager and check he will fight your corner. I recommend a double pronged approach. You should hassle Customer Services and the bodyshop should hassle the Ford Warranty department (who won't talk with your directly). You need the bodyshop to robustly state the corrosion has come from beneath and cannot be fixed with a surface repair.
If your usual garage forgot to stamp the book for bodywork in years 2 or 4 (if applicable) get that done first as it's a bigger fight without it.
Hope this helps
David

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530e - But on the hunt for my 1st Mustang
Wow! I knew this problem existed, but didn't quite realise the prevalence of it and as some of you know, I am one of those new members to this great forum who has had a dream of owning a Mustang since I was a young lad.

I've recently been full on searching for my first Stang, and it pains me to say it, but having read this thread it is now making me question whether I am doing the right thing.

I know there are lots of quality issues which I am prepared to accept and even put right myself, but you can't sort out prematurely corroding panels yourself and if Ford refuse to sort it out for you then you're looking at thousands to get it done via 3rd parties etc... The one thing I want from my relatively new Mustang is for the paintwork to look the best it can, but it seems that even with the greatest care and attention in the world, there is a strong possibility I will end up with this problem.

The only way around this I can think of is to go for the newer facelift model, but I can't quite afford one as yet. It would also be good to know for sure if they have solved this problem on the newer ones.

Must admit, a feel a little disheartened and a bit conflicted now. Actually a bit angry too. Got a lot of thinking to do...

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Wow! I knew this problem existed, but didn't quite realise the prevalence of it and as some of you know, I am one of those new members to this great forum who has had a dream of owning a Mustang since I was a young lad.

I've recently been full on searching for my first Stang, and it pains me to say it, but having read this thread it is now making me question whether I am doing the right thing.

I know there are lots of quality issues which I am prepared to accept and even put right myself, but you can't sort out prematurely corroding panels yourself and if Ford refuse to sort it out for you then you're looking at thousands to get it done via 3rd parties etc... The one thing I want from my relatively new Mustang is for the paintwork to look the best it can, but it seems that even with the greatest care and attention in the world, there is a strong possibility I will end up with this problem.

The only way around this I can think of is to go for the newer facelift model, but I can't quite afford one as yet. It would also be good to know for sure if they have solved this problem on the newer ones.

Must admit, a feel a little disheartened and a bit conflicted now. Actually a bit angry too. Got a lot of thinking to do...
Just get and buy one. ALL cars have problem areas whether they are bodywork or mechanical. You can scare yourself silly on most car forums ! At least corrosion is easy to see rather than some mysterious bearing failing inside your engine without warning for example (sorry Porsche owners)

Post 2018 cars certainly seem to be better prepared and suffer less with the corrosion. Plenty of other cars have corrosion problems with aluminium and even steel in some cases still. To be honest if you look at a pre 2018 car and there is no corrosion, it is probably going to be alright by now (assuming it isn't on a new bonnet)

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017

I’m not convinced the facelift is any better. It’s happened since the s197 model. But it’s not all cars. Probably something under 25% so just check your purchase carefully around the bonnet and wing front edges. If it’s an earlier car, it probably would have started now if it’s going to happen. Also, make sure there is a stamp for body inspection in year 2 and 4. Although poor prep is the primary cause, I think you can reduce the probability by ensuring the bonnet inside seams don’t have any gaps and Waxoil behind the wing edges. There lots of myths around the cause but I’m convinced water (or worse salty water if you live near the coast) can accelerate it as they act as an electrolyte along with the trapped contaminants. Then if you are unlucky in years to come (and your claim fails) treat the car to a GT350 or GT500 front end in fibreglass. That way, although you will spend a couple of grand, you’ll be getting something cool for it.
Good luck
David

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Greg’s 24 makes a good point ,car forums can scare you silly. I remember when I had my Fiesta ST the forums were full of how easy it was to steal and all the precautions you had to take.

I bought my GT despite the fact that I saw it had the bonnet corrosion issue.You might well ask why on earth did I do that. I did it because I promised myself a Mustang and once you press the start button on the V8 and hear it go onto fast idle you are hooked.

Every time I walk past a pre facelift Mustang I check the bonnet and I have yet to find another with the issue so it is rare.Check it out for yourself and I am sure you will find a good one.

I myself will rouse my dealer principal from his slumbers(last contact from him was November 2020) and ask him has my new bonnet arrived from the States yet?? don’t tell me the chip shortage is slowing things down.

As Fab Cruiser said I could always get a Cervini one.

However I am not complaining, only last week on my 390 mile day trip I recall dropping into fifth opening the taps and ......................

Go for the Mustang experience whilst it is still allowed.

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a patch on my bonnet and on my passenger side wing coming through from underneath. I didn't get my car serviced at Ford for the last one as is made such a mess of the one before. No paint check stamps in my book at all.

The thing is, if they covered it or not.. I'm yet to find out. I'm actually not too bothered. All cars have issues some more then others. When i get in mine and go for a drive the feeling you get totally out weighs the little niggles. :)

Mustang_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Triple Black
Sorry, I missed that fact that you folks are on the other side of the pond when I commented. What is the corrosion warranty ( vary by country? ) there and you have to have it inspected at certain intervals? Over here, the Mustangs and Explorers have a problem with the aluminum hoods. For some reason the trucks don’t.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don't let the forum horrors put you off mate. For every problem reported here, there's 50 owners out there with no problems at all, and likely non of them are on the forum shouting about not having any issues lol

If you know what to look for, you can easily spot a car that's been well maintained in terms of the paint. Take a torch with you and look for any significant swirling in the paint. Inspect all the corners and edges for any damage, and you'll be get some reassurance. Get a long list of things to inspect and don't take any salesman's word.

For what it's worth, I wen't through hell with mine (long story), 6 months in it went to a Fordstore for a warranty issue - an interior water leak. They made a pigs ear of fixing it, so much so that the issue cropped up again a year later - it presented itself in the way of interior condensation as there was dampness inside, more noticeable in the cold weather. Thankfully found a great independent Ford dealership who correctly fixed the issue, but that involved completely stripping the interior and replacing ALL of the wiring looms. Car off the road for a total of 5 months. It did get sorted however, and after a lengthy battle with Ford UK I did get some acceptable compensation. It was enough to put anyone off, and I thought many times about wimping out and swapping cars, or going for a new Mustang.

But...there's nothing out there for me that can beat the thrill of ownership, nothing better when all is well, weather is nice and you're cruising around with that V8 soundtrack behind you. You'll meet some great people, probably have some great adventures and if you get that far, you'll likely be hooked for life like me.

Do I constantly worry about what may go wrong next? Absolutely. I've had worse luck than some, but 110% it's worth it.

Anyway, if you do bite the bullet and get one, values are holding well, so if you decided to sell after a year or 2, chances are you wouldn't have lost much.

You won't know what you're missing unless you try it ;)

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Is TSB reference number 17-0062 the correct one for bonnet corrosion - it looks a bit flakey (forgive the pun...)

My game plan is:
a) try grovelling with dealer (I’m pretty cynical about that even though common sense is on my side. They did tell me rear lights swimming with water are a feature of the car and that air con is meant to evaporate and need a re-gas)
b) the ombudsman
c) a media slur campaign to get Ford to fess up!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Is TSB reference number 17-0062 the correct one for bonnet corrosion - it looks a bit flakey (forgive the pun...)

My game plan is:
a) try grovelling with dealer (I’m pretty cynical about that even though common sense is on my side. They did tell me rear lights swimming with water are a feature of the car and that air con is meant to evaporate and need a re-gas)
b) the ombudsman
I think I would try a different dealer as well !

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think I would try a different dealer as well !
oh yes, I will not darken their doorstep again...

The problem with franchised dealers is it’s difficult to achieve a standard consistently, so it becomes a lottery. we have to be mindful the dealers bread n butter is Fiesta and Focus, hence my cynicism

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017

My game plan is:
b) the ombudsman
I think that's the wrong TSB. I quoted TSB 19-2026. Google it and you can download the PDF. I would tell them "The issue of galvanic corrosion is clearly recognised by Ford in the US under TSB 19-2026 and as our car came from the same production line in Flat Rock, it is reasonable to expect the same remedy in this country".
Sponsored