Sponsored

Roush Phase 2 - Supporting mods?

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
with a PD blower you don't really need to do OPG/CG because the blower doesn't offset the crank pulley like a centrifugal blower does. OPG/CG only seem to fail on blower cars, cars using 2 step, and cars bouncing off limiter. If you don't plan on doing these things you'll be fine.

Half shafts break on stick cars pretty commonly especially at the track with drag radials or slicks on. If you don't plan on launching the car very hard on a sticky surface with sticky tires your half shafts will be fine.

Id recommend doing thermostat to help the car run a little cooler. You can also do headers to help the blower with heat and overall breathing of the motor.
:doh:

OP. If it's got a warranty don't worry about gears. Once out of warranty if you can swing it, do it.
Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
with a PD blower you don't really need to do OPG/CG because the blower doesn't offset the crank pulley like a centrifugal blower does. OPG/CG only seem to fail on blower cars, cars using 2 step, and cars bouncing off limiter. If you don't plan on doing these things you'll be fine.

Half shafts break on stick cars pretty commonly especially at the track with drag radials or slicks on. If you don't plan on launching the car very hard on a sticky surface with sticky tires your half shafts will be fine.

Id recommend doing thermostat to help the car run a little cooler. You can also do headers to help the blower with heat and overall breathing of the motor.
What ? ( blower doesn't offset the crank pulley like a centrifugal blower does ) ??? My procharger doesn't off set the crank pulley ..

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
opg / cs, halfshafts, drive shaft, are your basics

hit us up with any questions you have

some of what you do will be based on how your driving the car and your intentions with it

OP
OP

Mikevercetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
From a few replies here and from some research on my end, it seems as if VMP is a better choice than Roush. Same basic package with slightly better hardware. From some other VMP threads, I've seen people post their dynos and the phase 2 seems a bit low. They claim 600+whp which is what I'm aiming for, but a lot of people seem to be in the 560 range. What's the deal with that? Dynos for the Roush phase 2 tune seem spot on at 630whp or so.

Making it hard to decide between the two. Should I shell out the extra money to get a Lund tune?

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
I bought a VMP so I'm obviously a fan. Like I said earlier, my basic Stage II kit made 607/529. That's with a 82mm pulley and 93 octane. The head unit itself is much better than the Roush/FRPP as well as the heat exchanger. Look how dinky the stock FRPp/Roush unit is. There is PLENTY of room to grow with the VMP (more so than with the Roush in my opinion. If you aren't even slightly interested in the warranty offered by the Roush/FRPP unit, then look into the VMP. Money well spent.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikevercetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I definitely think VMP is the way I'm going. Just seems lukes the stock tune might be lacking. I live fairly close so my intent is to have them install and dyno tune it.

Do you have any supporting mods? Oil pump gear?

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
Some strategies in the PCM are easier to tune than others. I have a very early '15 which I've heard can give some tuners fits. The car drives absolutely perfectly now though

I installed OPG and CG at the same time. Where in FL are you?

OP
OP

Mikevercetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
What's CG refer to? Crankshaft gear or something? What's the benefit of that?

I live in Tampa. Parents are in Jacksonville. New Smyrna is kinda halfway between us.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
CG is crank gear (also called timing gear). There have been fewer CG failures than OPG, but it has happened. You're already in there to do the OPG so you might as well replace it.

I'm up in the Jax area.

OP
OP

Mikevercetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
CG is crank gear (also called timing gear). There have been fewer CG failures than OPG, but it has happened. You're already in there to do the OPG so you might as well replace it.

I'm up in the Jax area.
Haha i just noticed it said you're from Orange Park. That's where my parents live/where I grew up. Small world man.

Sponsored

1quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt tvs
From a few replies here and from some research on my end, it seems as if VMP is a better choice than Roush. Same basic package with slightly better hardware. From some other VMP threads, I've seen people post their dynos and the phase 2 seems a bit low. They claim 600+whp which is what I'm aiming for, but a lot of people seem to be in the 560 range. What's the deal with that? Dynos for the Roush phase 2 tune seem spot on at 630whp or so.

Making it hard to decide between the two. Should I shell out the extra money to get a Lund tune?
I'd probably get the vmp set up if I were you, I have a roush phase 2, the stock tune left a lot on the table, I traded in a 14gt that had basic bolt on's and a 100 shot and the 14gt felt faster than the 727 package, I called vmp a couple weeks after I bought the car and ordered the parts that come in their 767 upgrade kit before they made that, it really really woke the car up, I've since done headers with off road connections, cat back, trunk mount ice box, the blue pbd filter upgrade getting it retuned on 93/torco right now hoping for 700whp, I know a guy with a totally stock vmp gen2 through stock exhaust on 93 with a pbd tune it made 660whp

OP
OP

Mikevercetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I'm definitely going VMP. Seems like opg/cg are worth doing as well. Otherwise should be good to go.

ferooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
what about pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft... is it ok running on SC around 600-650HP? No need to replace it for forged ones?
I'm asking because on previous car (Leon Cupra MK2, tuned from 240HP to 360HP) I had also forged pistons and one of them failed anyway (but it was maybe because of faulty injector :))

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
what about pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft... is it ok running on SC around 600-650HP? No need to replace it for forged ones?
I'm asking because on previous car (Leon Cupra MK2, tuned from 240HP to 360HP) I had also forged pistons and one of them failed anyway (but it was maybe because of faulty injector :))
theyre already forged. only thing that might need to be replaced is the OPG, CG and maybe a new damper

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OPG/CG is an ongoing "discussion". I had the Ford Racing Phase 1 kit installed (Roush kit with a Ford tune) and the shop doing the work said they had never seen an OPG break on a street car (yes, I know members of this forum have had their OPG fail, simply re-stating what the installer said). I did pay the extra $995 for the Roush drivetrain warranty, which covers the OPG. Once the warranty is out, not sure what I will do.
Sponsored