Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Quick update on the Ronin plug: I just completed my first oil change using this unit from start to finish.

1. I bought some plastic tubing and cut to size to fit on the hose barb of the plunger. (see pictures in post 23 above if this isn't clear)
2. The plunger worked perfectly, and I did not spill one drop.
3. The rate of oil drainage was slower through the Ronin and attached tubing, taking 10-15 minutes to drain.

All in all, no mess, no fuss, and still a slick bit of engineering. I had a Fumoto on my '05 STi many moons ago, and loved it - so no bias one way or the other here.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I wish someone or a company would come up with a solution to prevent the filter canister removal from being a mess. I've seen people use card board or foil to channel the oil into a pan. Anyone have a cleaner solution.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I wish someone or a company would come up with a solution to prevent the filter canister removal from being a mess. I've seen people use card board or foil to channel the oil into a pan. Anyone have a cleaner solution.
I use oil diapers to catch oil on these type of issues. My dealer uses them as well.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
this is fairly popular, i got it and used it once so far. it helps for sure but not 100% mess free. all depends on how you precise you can contour it: https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B017MTFIYE?th=1

I use oil diapers to catch oil on these type of issues. My dealer uses them as well.
what is an oil diaper?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I got an automated email from Fumoto a while back, but it was soo long ago I forgot when it was. Just an automated "we're still working on it" type thing. Who knows.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The Ronin is worth every dime, IMO.

I purchased one for my new 5.0 F-150 after the first instance of a scaled-down Exxon Valdez in my garage (the second instance came during oil change #2, in preparation for the Ronin). See, Ford thought it would be uproariously funny to put the truck's giant front sway bar directly in the stream of the drain plug flow, so unless you're careful and barely let the hot oil trickle out of a partially pulled plug orifice and don't accidentally let it slip when things get a little hot on your hand (like I did) you get oil everywhere. And when I say everywhere I mean everywhere, since whatever oil is directed upward by the sway bar is then deflected in every possible direction (including toward you) by the trans cooler. I'm betting the neighbors heard the expletives, no doubt.

The Ronin makes an oil change a non-event, as it should be. Perfectly crafted and finished piece too, it's too bad it can't be seen by anyone but you and roadkill.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just spoke with a fumoto USA representative, she said they're still working on it in Japan for our application and at the very earliest it'll be late summer. but she said that is just a ballpark and no one really knows at this point when it'll be ready.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I use a freezer sized zip lock bag wrapped around the filter after it has been broken loose. Place an ample amount of shop rags below to catch the rest. Still messy, but less oil spillage.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Another Ronin assisted oil change in the books. Not one drop spilled from the plug or hose. I wish I could say the same for the filter... :cwl:

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Drill a small hole in the filter and let it drain before removal......you're welcome!!:wink:

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
What kind of "cartridge filter"......you don't use an FL-500S on the GT-350??:shock:
Sponsored