Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Ronin plug seems like a neat idea, esp. if you attach a hose to the outlet.
I agree. If I hadn't already had the Stahlbus fitting (and the drill and the tap...), I probably would have bought one.
Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
This is cool, but for $2 a drain plug I'll stick with OEM.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is cool, but for $2 a drain plug I'll stick with OEM.
I don't think anyone would buy it to keep from replacing factory plugs. Its all about using a hose (and taking samples if you do that). Buying fewer factory plugs or the magnet are just icing.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
7k miles and 30+ HPDE events and I’m still on the oem plug.

As far as magnets I put rare earthmagents around the filter

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I honestly don't know if that's a requirement or suggestion or not. Meh, just marketing either way.

The magnet is also a cool feature I've actually heard some mention on here they'd like to have. I think it came up in HB's thread about the broken valve spring piece and how a magnet might have caught it; or something along those lines.
That broken piece of valve spring didn’t get sucked through the pick up screen.
And had that valve spring piece of made it into the oil pump the gears would of definitely been broken. The pumps clearances are far to tight for a piece that size.

I liked the spin on oil filter on my 16 track pack far better than the cartridge on my 18R.
The spin on allowed me the use of a filter magnet.
Now I suppose I could clamp on my filter magnet to my cartridge housing. Guess I’ll have to experiment.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...The spin on allowed me the use of a filter magnet.
Now I suppose I could clamp on my filter magnet to my cartridge housing...
Now, that's the thing - a filter magnet will catch a lot more stuff (if there's more stuff to catch) when it's strapped to a plastic housing than it will if it's stuck to a steel can.

The steel can acts as a shield and reduces the magnetic intensity inside the filter; the plastic housing lets the magnetic field go right through like it wasn't even there.

Akeldama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Manual Magnetic GT Premium w/401a, Performance Pack and Active Exhaust
I actually just installed one of these in my 2018 GT yesterday, so I don't yet have any experience with using it to drain the oil. However, it's very well made and the install is dead simple.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Installed this yesterday on my first oil change. I have to say, it is the nicest $80 drain plug money can buy!

Pros:
1. The internally activated valve with hose barb is super cool, and will definitely make my next oil change spill free and stress free.
2. The machined parts appear very high quality
3. It looks cool
4. It is much beefier than the stock plastic part

Cons:
1. I didn't spill a drop with the stock plastic part. After reader other's experiences, I though this would be a problem, but the stock piece came out and the oil drained very easily. I slid my 10 quart collector to catch the stream as it dwindled, and really don't see the need spill prevention with the Ronin part.
2. The stock part isn't exactly fragile, it should last for many oil changes - so the need for a beefy part is questionable.
3. The cost.

Overall:
It is a cool part, high quality, and I enjoyed fiddling with it. Valve in... Valve out... While the need for it is questionable, I don't regret purchasing it, and am looking forward to my next oil change in about 6 months. It is a bit pricey, but I file this under "presents for the car," as most of the modifications aren't exactly required anyway.

Some pictures:
IMG_3606.JPEG
IMG_3610.JPEG
IMG_3618.JPEG

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That thing looks great dude. Thanks for the write up. Very curious now to see Fumoto’s version. Like some have mentioned, it’ll be quite a bit cheaper, but it’ll also not be billet, will be heavier, and won’t hold a candle to this one in the trick looks department.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I came across this thread from the GT350 thread about it. Ive changed my oil once in my 18 GT at 1k miles and at 6300 now, I planed on going to 10k but while its at the dealer getting the shift fork TSB done and a new Mantic clutch we noticed it leaking a little. It wasnt before not sure what happened, so i decided to buy a new plug and was going with UPR until someone posted a brand new Ronin in the fb sale pages for 60$ shipped. The first time i drained my oil i was in a little bit of shock at how fast it drained, it caught me by surprise. decades ago i use to work at quick change shops and always done my own services and work, but never seen anything like that on a car. Heavy equipment i worked on yes, not a car lol.

Its funny how some say anyone that pays for this is stupid yet ordered a mustang and paid 10k for racing stripes......

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Its funny how some say anyone that pays for this is stupid yet ordered a mustang and paid 10k for racing stripes......

I'm normally against those other guys posting in our forum for various reasons, but that shit was funny!!!!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Uuugggg...need that Fumoto option; 500 miles til next oil change. I got an email update but it was a while ago, then quiet again.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
don't want to splurge for the Ronin?
Meh, it's not even that. Have had great luck with Fumoto (have them on every thing I own) and would like to see their solution to this. And while the price isn't necessarily a deal breaker, the Fumoto is clearly going to accomplish the same task at a fraction of the cost of the Ronin.
Sponsored