Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Uh-oh.

Oil change today with the Ronin plug. My third with the unit.
The gold cap that protects the inside of the unit was missing. It must have fallen off the car?
I have contacted Ronin about a replacement part. To be safe, I put the OEM drain plug back in for the time being.
Sponsored

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
@pilotgore and @galaxy, don’t forget about your friendly flight surgeon. Lol. I still have a hard time convincing our flyboys that I want them in the seat rather than on the sidelines. Lol

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Uh-oh.

Oil change today with the Ronin plug. My third with the unit.
The gold cap that protects the inside of the unit was missing. It must have fallen off the car?
I have contacted Ronin about a replacement part. To be safe, I put the OEM drain plug back in for the time being.
Funny, the exact same thing happened to me, but I never ended up contacting the manufacturer.... I just went back to the old style plug. Bummer considering the cost.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
@pilotgore and @galaxy, don’t forget about your friendly flight surgeon. Lol. I still have a hard time convincing our flyboys that I want them in the seat rather than on the sidelines. Lol
I hear ya, it’s been an interesting year for aviation. We’re still flying, but around 70% of average.
You keeping busy?

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I hear ya, it’s been an interesting year for aviation. We’re still flying, but around 70% of average.
You keeping busy?
Yep. Trying to find a seat on a 17 here at JB CHS... I don’t get much time for the 38s so an interfly is about to be in effect.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Put this magnetic plug together for less than $20...

0BD1CD49-69A5-4C54-A944-EBFA4D227D3F.jpeg

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
How much stuff is collecting on it? Also, how is the magnet attached?
I put this together a couple of month’s ago in anticipation of next oil change, so no actual testing as of yet. I measured the “Id” of the opening of the stock plug and ordered one off the internet. I think it was 7/16” x 1”. Very snug fit into stock plug but also used JB Weld to hold it in place.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good point.

Anyone breaks a valve spring you will know it WAY before the next oil change comes due ......... and you can take that to the bank.

The drain plug is just fine as it is, what I found problematic first time in. Using one of those round catch pans.

5W oil flows like Niagara Falls, filling so fast the breather hole got covered and the oil could not drain into the pan. You can picture the rest.

The fix change to a different style of catch pan rectangle with top vent.

As to oily fingers .................. comes with the territory.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone breaks a valve spring you will know it WAY before the next oil change comes due ......... and you can take that to the bank.

The drain plug is just fine as it is, what I found problematic first time in. Using one of those round catch pans.

5W oil flows like Niagara Falls, filling so fast the breather hole got covered and the oil could not drain into the pan. You can picture the rest.

Lol... I know what you mean. I found an empty 5 gallon or so laundry detergent bucket perfect for this with the car up on jack stands. Plenty deep and wide open to catch the quick drain oil pan.

The fix change to a different style of catch pan rectangle with top vent.

As to oily fingers .................. comes with the territory.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Yep. My last oil change was a disaster.
1. First, I wasn't quick enough on the quick change-over on drain containers and overfilled my drain pan, allowing it to go over the rim, spilling oil everywhere.
2. Then I bumped the overfilled drain pan, spilling even more.
c. Next, my garbage bag cover of the oil filter slipped, and oil went everywhere.
4. So I got out my oil extractor to drain some of the overfilled drain pan so I could avoid spilling even more. That worked fine, but then when I reversed the extractor to pressurize the oil out into a disposal container, the hose popped off spraying oil everywhere.

It was totally amateur hour out there. Glad nobody was watching, it was pure comedy.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The best way to enjoy an easy, relaxing oil change on a GT350, or any engine with this kind of oil drain plug, is to change the oil when the engine is cold or barely warm. Yup. Works like a charm. You can loosen the plug and hold it part-way out so the oil comes out at a reasonable pace and goes straight down. Ditto the filter - it's easier to handle when it's not trying to sear the skin off your fingers.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The best way to enjoy an easy, relaxing oil change on a GT350, or any engine with this kind of oil drain plug, is to change the oil when the engine is cold or barely warm. Yup. Works like a charm. You can loosen the plug and hold it part-way out so the oil comes out at a reasonable pace and goes straight down. Ditto the filter - it's easier to handle when it's not trying to sear the skin off your fingers.
Yes, cold is ok for draining the oil but in my experience the filter is much more difficult to remove (my 2017 has the old style filter)
Sponsored