Sponsored

Roll Bar VS Harness Bar

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Looking for input from the forum on this one. Im at the point where I am trying to lose sensible weight in the car without making it miserable to drive on occasion on the road. One of which is having some drag seats and either swap them or keep them in on a semi-permanent basis. With that, I will want harnesses and the conversation of getting a full roll bar, like the Watson Racing 4 point vs some sort of harness bar comes up. Obviously the harness bar is cheaper and should be a much easier install. I already have a rear seat delete, so I don't care about any of that. I also could see the car getting quicker over the next couple years and maybe there is a need at that time for a full roll cage and probably a lot easier to sell a harness bar and recover most of the money versus the 4 point. Thoughts? Currently the car is in the high 10 second range fwiw. Oh and if you are in favor of the harness bar, what brand? I have seen a few but not too much in regards to reviews.
Sponsored

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
to stay Nhra legal to 10.00 you need factory seat, seat belt, and steering wheel with airbag. or go 6 point bar and belts. harness bar won't be legal in any scenario

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Harness bars are straight up not safe. Stay stock or do a 4pt with harnesses and seats.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
probably a lot easier to sell a harness bar and recover most of the money versus the 4 point
Not really true. But being that you are in Maryland too go ahead and get the roll bar that way when you’re finished you can sell it to me :)

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
i believe the nhra rule states that 2013 and up with dot tire and no airbag removable you are good to 9.00.You will need a nhra licenses also with proper safety gear for driver.You may want to double check on the year of car.

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
i believe the nhra rule states that 2013 and up with dot tire and no airbag removable you are good to 9.00.You will need a nhra licenses also with proper safety gear for driver.You may want to double check on the year of car.
Probably the #1 reason I'm adding a roll cage! Fear of getting run over by a 9 second car! We had a guy with one at the season opener, ran like greased lightning! Until he turned it sideways, going through the traps. Fortunately, it was during testing and there wasn't a car and driver next to him...

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
to stay Nhra legal to 10.00 you need factory seat, seat belt, and steering wheel with airbag. or go 6 point bar and belts. harness bar won't be legal in any scenario
Would one/both of you guys provide where you found that in the rules? I've tried to read thru them, but can't find the info I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just an idiot?

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Problem is IHRA rules are slightly different too. Annoying for sure.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Braum harness bar looking for a new home if that's of interest.