Roll Race vs Drag Race Trap speeds?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Anyone know how similar roll racing traps would be to drag racing traps if starting around 35-40 roll?

I was trapping around 133 spinning through second and would be interested to see how much quicker that would be than a drag mph.

Not sure how useful any of this timeslip data is.
ECFC534A-9344-4328-BC10-E520463D63D6.jpeg
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Its useless except to compare to cars there, at that day. I dont know what event you were at, or more importantly the setup, but it can/does vary from event to event.

For reference, I run the biggest Roll Racing event in the country, and have been the timing for others, and attend even more as a customer.

What matters is your start speed, the race distance, and the equipment used, and how it is setup.

We use the best there is, a custom roll race system designed for it, and measure and verify with vbox/dragy before each event, as well as keeping the layout consistent.

https://www.facebook.com/SlipStreamRE

We have also held 1/2 ile drag events. the ONLY other event that i know for sure is doing it right is Wannagofast. The other 1/2 milers are all faking their timing ( i can share how if you like)

I have been to several ( we actually created the idea of dragstrip roll racing ) dragstrip roll races and do not like how they are setup or managed, from the event itself, and the funky sensor placement.

So, yes, to answer your question, its only good for that day, and to be a bit more precise, our 1/3 mile roll races will see cars add 15-25mph ( HP dependent) to a cars 1/4 mile drag time. 1/2 mile races will add 30-32 ( up to 800hp), 33-35(800-1000), and 35+ (1000+HP) to cars 1/4 mile mph

so if you are racing for "about" 1300ft, you wont see much of a difference from your 1/4 mile. that rolling start doesnt add up to much, not as much as you would think, but again, depends on the race length

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Its useless except to compare to cars there, at that day. I dont know what event you were at, or more importantly the setup, but it can/does vary from event to event.

For reference, I run the biggest Roll Racing event in the country, and have been the timing for others, and attend even more as a customer.

What matters is your start speed, the race distance, and the equipment used, and how it is setup.

We use the best there is, a custom roll race system designed for it, and measure and verify with vbox/dragy before each event, as well as keeping the layout consistent.

https://www.facebook.com/SlipStreamRE

We have also held 1/2 ile drag events. the ONLY other event that i know for sure is doing it right is Wannagofast. The other 1/2 milers are all faking their timing ( i can share how if you like)

I have been to several ( we actually created the idea of dragstrip roll racing ) dragstrip roll races and do not like how they are setup or managed, from the event itself, and the funky sensor placement.

So, yes, to answer your question, its only good for that day, and to be a bit more precise, our 1/3 mile roll races will see cars add 15-25mph ( HP dependent) to a cars 1/4 mile drag time. 1/2 mile races will add 30-32 ( up to 800hp), 33-35(800-1000), and 35+ (1000+HP) to cars 1/4 mile mph

so if you are racing for "about" 1300ft, you wont see much of a difference from your 1/4 mile. that rolling start doesnt add up to much, not as much as you would think, but again, depends on the race length
Thank you for the detailed response.

From everyone racing there, it seems you are right about the mph not being much different than if we would’ve started from a stop.

I was using other cars there to gauge my performance

600 whp gtr was running 132
550 whp sti was running 127
1340cc 08 hayabusa was running 135
850 whp gt500 was running 145
XXX whp c6z (cammed for sure) 135

All that seems to align with drag racing 1/4 mile mphs as well so it all makes sense the rolls were a good gauge of hp. It was hot, around 95 degrees, with a DA of like 3500 I think.

I made 730 whp and was full weight, so my trap of 133, even spinning through second, seems about right. I think it might be a 137-139 car with a drag pack.

We were racing the full 1/4 mile length of the track and we were given a small space to accelerate, maybe 100 feet, and they seemed to use the sensors in the same position as a typical 1/4 mile.

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
This rollracing business sounds like a lot of fun. A lot less emphasis on starting line traction, which allows for a much more even playing field for faster cars.
On mph variance due to distance, I can add a little. Basically the difference in 1/8th mph and 1/4 mph on a dragstrip is about 20 percent. My drag car goes 122 mph in the 1/8th and 150 mph in the 1/4. If you want to know what your car may do for ET with great traction based on 1/4mile trap speed , DESKTOP DRAGSTRIP program (about$50) is fun to play around with.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Totally anecdotal but I’ve seen a lot of cars roll race mph the same as they do from a stop. I’ve heard a lot of people say the same thing even though I’m not sure why that is

Sponsored

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Totally anecdotal but I’ve seen a lot of cars roll race mph the same as they do from a stop. I’ve heard a lot of people say the same thing even though I’m not sure why that is
Yep that’s what it’s looking like.

I think it just has to do with how fast our cars can reach 0-30 distance wise. In the distance of a 1/4 mile, acceleration decreases pretty quickly as you approach the end of the run so in the grand scheme of things, adding in that initial 30 mph at the beginning doesn’t hold a lot of weight. It should make your ets look a whole lot better though.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
The car will trap the same whether its a 120mph trap car or a 180mph trap car

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The car will trap the same whether its a 120mph trap car or a 180mph trap car
Have you roll raced your car yet (obviously not in mexico)? It really is a ton less stressful than digs (to the car and to me)

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
Have you roll raced your car yet (obviously not in mexico)? It really is a ton less stressful than digs (to the car and to me)
Yes I did at street car takeover in Oklahoma. Both runs I trapped 152 on the same setting and tune that I trapped 153 on from a dead stop.

It is less stress on the drive-train (trans, axles, rear end, driveshaft etc). It can go south if you let floor it and let the car downshift. Especially at or near 800+.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I did at street car takeover in Oklahoma. Both runs I trapped 152 on the same setting and tune that I trapped 153 on from a dead stop.

It is less stress on the drive-train (trans, axles, rear end, driveshaft etc). It can go south if you let floor it and let the car downshift. Especially at or near 800+.
Whys that?

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which part are you questioning?
Why is the downshift so harsh? I assume just the shock but interested. When you’re driving on the street with your power level, do you always paddle down before stomping on it?

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
Yes that shock at 800+whp can cause binding and start stress fractures on a lot of the internals. On a 6r80 you'll either snap the intermediate shaft or blow up the planetary.
So far haven't seen anything snap in the 10r80. That's not to say it can't happen though lol
Sponsored