Sponsored

Rev Matching Retrofit

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of people think rev match down shifts in traffic make you look like an attention whore.
if you're doing it at 3000+ you are. 2000 RPM not so much. :)
Sponsored

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Most people don't, they just slip the clutch to down shift. I know a lot of people think rev match down shifts in traffic make you look like an attention whore. I love it though lol
Rev match downshift saves my brakes and I subject people to a beautiful symphony. Unless it's residential and late at night. I always low rpm it through neighborhoods at night

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just went and got the Steeda Aluminum Pedal Pack. The extra wide gas pedal really helps with rev matching, since my aging ankles don't rotate as easily as they used to.

Sponsored

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
You forgot the smiley. You have priced brake pads vs clutch+labor, yes?
Don't really care, going to drive it the same. My last manual car lasted 288k km before I sold it on the original clutch. Wasn't a performance car but it is some proof I must be doing something right, had very short gear ratios too.

I was watching vids of the auto blip. it's pretty cool for racing

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When the computer does it perfectly for you every time, there is no wear ;)
When you get it 'perfect' all by yourself there still isn't any wear. If you only get it close, there isn't enough added wear to matter.

And when you can get it right most of the time, that skill is transferrable to cars that don't offer electronic rev-matching.

Norm

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
When you get it 'perfect' all by yourself there still isn't any wear. If you only get it close, there isn't enough added wear to matter.

And when you can get it right most of the time, that skill is transferrable to cars that don't offer electronic rev-matching.

Norm
Well said

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Most people don't, they just slip the clutch to down shift. I know a lot of people think rev match down shifts in traffic make you look like an attention whore. I love it though lol
If I do it at 3000 rpm with exhaust on "quiet" most people would never even notice. If I drop it into 2nd at 50 mph with exhaust on "track" most people would notice so I only do that when no one is around and never in a residential area. But damn, it sounds nice! :)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Norm
I learned to heel toe quite well a few cars ago. It is a nice skill to have, but I just enjoy the perfection only a computer can offer. You can outright dump the clutch with perfect smoothness every time. With modern electronic throttles its tricky to be that precise without using a little clutch to sync everything up. For normal driving I'm definitely a fan of it. If I'm pushing hard in a canyon or I'm going on track I switch it off.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Controlling throttle was much more direct and simple back in Carburetor days with direct linkage to it.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I emailed auto blip to see if they planned in the future on having the auto blip read what gear you are selecting. I would think it wouldn't be be too difficult with that box on the 2019+ that tells you what gate you are going into

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Ah well I guess I'll just rev match myself. I saw the auto blip, might try that out one day. I still don't understand why people say it saves your transmission from wear and tear. Do people not rev match when down shifting??
My '15 and '17 EB 6MT only had rev matching on upshifts, but I did manually rev match on downshifts in both cars. After using the down shift rev matching for the past 4 months on my '19GT, I have to say that there is no way I could have rev matched so consistently as the auto rev match could. While rev matching on downshift manually definitely will be better (I think) on wear and tear, I guess the chance of wear and tear must be near mi imal if the car rev matches going up and down on gears.

Ehile I used to enjoy rev matching on downshifts, the best thing about the factory rev match is that it rev matches to any gear. While I can rev match pretty well on single and some double- downshifts, the '19 just matches even if I put the gear from 5th down to 2nd. (I haven't actually engaged the clutch from 5th to 2nd, but when hold the clutch and then go from 5th, and just start to push the shifter into 2nd, it revs to the correct rpm), which also reminds me...

What's with the freakishly tall gear ratios!?!?!? If I push to 7000+rpm on 2nd gear, I am already sailing towards 50-60mph... on SECOND gear!!! I guess it was to save gas, but seriously, on my 8 min local commute, I barely get to use the 4th gear, let alone 5th.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Rev match downshift saves my brakes and I subject people to a beautiful symphony. Unless it's residential and late at night. I always low rpm it through neighborhoods at night
We need more Mustang V8 ambassadors such as yourself, to bring more positive image of 5.0 to the neighborhoods.

Regarding downshifting, my thoughts exactly. I used to manually rev match on downshifts, and my brake pads were in great shape.

I sometimes take off rev match on my '19 because while I appreciate how it makes this the easiest manual I have ever driven, I still miss doing everything manually. And I love the symphony when I manually blip the throttle (it feels different from hear the engine blip automatically).

Also, most people I know who used to drive manuals, when I tell then that my mustang rev matches going down so I don't have to manually do it, they look at me like, "what's rev matching???" Apparently they would slip the clutch in all gear shifts, up and down. And they apparently drove this way for over a decade and they all hated driving manuals.

I once asked a person, did you not engine break on your manual? He said, "yup, and then I stopped because I wore my clutch out and had to get it replaced which was more $$ than brake pads". I was so confused by his comment, and then realized he must have been slipping the clutch.

Last edited:

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
your Gen 2 had rev matching on up shifts? I don't follow. What is up shift rev matching? Maybe I'm tired and can't process right now (I also haven't driven my car since end of october!!)
Sponsored