Sponsored

Rev Matching Retrofit

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Question I have is, do the digital dash on the '18 6MT show what gear you are in? My '19 digi dash has the option to show different things inside center of the round tachometer, one of them being gears.

Do '18 digital dash not have this available?

Also, people who retrofit the 12" IPC into the '15-'17, do they also lose out on the gear position?

I ask because, if the '18 digital IPC can show the gear of the 6MT, then the rev matching on downshift has gotta be all software between 19 and 18's.

The second question I have (to Ford) is, since my '19 6MT CAN tell what gear I am in (or that I am in gear as well as showing "N" if I put selector in center), why the heck do I not have factory remote start??? As not knowing if car is in gear seems top be the reason why we're don't have factory remote starters.

Last edited:

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
Question I have is, do the digital dash on the '18 6MT show what gear you are in? My '19 digi fash has the option to show different things inside center of the round tachometer, one of them being gears.

Also, people who retrofit the 12" IPC into the '15-'17, do they also lose out on the hear position?

I ask because, if the '18 digital IPC can show the gear of the 6MT, then the rev matching on downshift has gotta be all software between 19 and 18's.

The second question I have (to Ford) is, since my '19 6MT CAN tell what gear I am in (or that I am in gear as well as showing "N" if I put selector in center), why the heck do I not have factory remote start??? As not knowing if car is in gear seems top be the reason why we're don't have factory remote starters.
My 2018 MT does not show the gear in the centre of the tacho but I believe the Bullitts do., and there is a bit more electrical connections to the transmissions to enable auto blip. I imagine it would be cost prohibitive to try and add it to an earlier car.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Question I have is, do the digital dash on the '18 6MT show what gear you are in? My '19 digi fash has the option to show different things inside center of the round tachometer, one of them being gears.

Also, people who retrofit the 12" IPC into the '15-'17, do they also lose out on the hear position?

It's not all software unfortunately. Just look at a 2019 and later MT-82 gearbox, they physically added a hall sensor to the shift rail and removed the speed sensor for the output shaft.

There's literally no reasonable way of doing it the way that Ford did.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Since you are asking Ford, what does your owners manual say about leaving the manual trans in neutral when parked? If it says to leave the trans in gear, they wouldn't create an incentive to not do that.

Sponsored

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ok so if one upgrades to the new tremec from the mach 1 it should come with said box on top of the shift rail. So what happens after that?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So what happens after that?
black magic.

without ECU support (and guage support) it's a pointless exercise. Notwithstanding the better ratios and shift mechanism.

I would surmise putting the Mach1 trans on a 2020 car won't work either and might even throw codes even though mechanically it'll be just fine.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ah well I guess I'll just rev match myself. I saw the auto blip, might try that out one day. I still don't understand why people say it saves your transmission from wear and tear. Do people not rev match when down shifting??

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Ah well I guess I'll just rev match myself. I saw the auto blip, might try that out one day. I still don't understand why people say it saves your transmission from wear and tear. Do people not rev match when down shifting??
Tons of people don't. I would say more often than not when riding with somebody else driving manual, their idea of downshifting is clutching in, selecting a lower gear, then dumping the clutch.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
My 2018 MT does not show the gear in the centre of the tacho but I believe the Bullitts do., and there is a bit more electrical connections to the transmissions to enable auto blip. I imagine it would be cost prohibitive to try and add it to an earlier car.
Yeah, the Bullitts do. Now I wonder if I could put the Mach 1 Tremec in?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
all 19+ GT have rev-match. The Tremec will bolt up fine, but the non-Mach revmatch assumes Getrag ratios and won't blip "correctly". It remains to be seen if this will cause the computer to whig out or not.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ah well I guess I'll just rev match myself. I saw the auto blip, might try that out one day. I still don't understand why people say it saves your transmission from wear and tear.
It avoids synchro wear coming from having to cope with greater internal rpm "errors". It also saves needless clutch wear by those who gradually slip the clutch on re-engagement to drag engine rpms up more smoothly than by just dumping it. Synchros work because of friction, and friction gradually causes wear . . .

Do people not rev match when down shifting??
In many cases, no they don't. It's not something that gets taught in driver-ed, and for most people there is no other opportunity where somebody might actually teach it. It wasn't even taught when I took driver ed, and that was when driver-ed cars were more likely to be MT than AT.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well there's zero need for rev matching when just cruising around town. Haha. That said, The 15-17 PCM knows what gear your in based on engine rpm/gear ratio/tire height/vehicle speed. At least that's my understanding of it. I could be mistaken however. Lack of relevant tables haha.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Well there's zero need for rev matching when just cruising around town. Haha. That said, The 15-17 PCM knows what gear your in based on engine rpm/gear ratio/tire height/vehicle speed. At least that's my understanding of it. I could be mistaken however. Lack of relevant tables haha.
This is why I have such a hard time practicing heel-toe! (Never learned it when I was younger). I rev match by just; clutch in -> brake -> reach desired speed -> release brake -> shift gear -> blip throttle -> release clutch. Works great. Trying to add a second brake press in after reaching my speed always messes me up.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't even taught when I took driver ed, and that was when driver-ed cars were more likely to be MT than AT.
wow, I had no idea driver's ed was that bad in this country. They teach proper clutch modulation technique in Japan. Also explains why I had so many MSF (motorcycle safety) students who despite driving a stick car just dumped the clutch lever and had such a hard time grasping the concept of a friction zone. *lightbulb moment* 💡
Sponsored