Sponsored

Rev Matching Retrofit

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
your Gen 2 had rev matching on up shifts? I don't follow. What is up shift rev matching? Maybe I'm tired and can't process right now (I also haven't driven my car since end of october!!)
Not exactly rev match, but on 15 and 17's the car used to hold rpm on upshifts. Meaning when you accelerate, then engage clutch, instead of dropping rpm completely flat, it would let rpm drop to the rpm of the next gear, and hold it for three seconds. So if you take 3 sec to upshift (clutch in 1st second, shift up next second, and then drop the clutch 3rd second), the rpms would automatically be maintained at the correct rev, and makes upshifts almost smooth like automatic.. If you engage clutch, you'll notice rev drops a bit and is held for 3 sec. If you do not shift and release clutch, and just hold the pedal down for more than 3 sec, you'll notice that the engine will let rpm drop to idle.

If you get too used to this, and then turn off the rev matching completely, then you can see that when you press clutch during acceleration. The car let's rpm just fall to idle.

Ford mentioned this when the s550's first came out, so it was an actual thing and then the camaros started to advertise rev down match sometime afterwards.
Sponsored

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Not exactly rev match, but on 15 and 17's the car used to hold rpm on upshifts. Meaning when you accelerate, then engage clutch, instead of dropping rpm completely flat, it would let rpm drop to the rpm of the next gear, and hold it for three seconds. So if you take 3 sec to upshift (clutch in 1st second, shift up next second, and then drop the clutch 3rd second), the rpms would automatically be maintained at the correct rev, and makes upshifts almost smooth like automatic.. If you engage clutch, you'll notice rev drops a bit and is held for 3 sec. If you do not shift and release clutch, and just hold the pedal down for more than 3 sec, you'll notice that the engine will let rpm drop to idle.

If you get too used to this, and then turn off the rev matching completely, then you can see that when you press clutch during acceleration. The car let's rpm just fall to idle.

Ford mentioned this when the s550's first came out, so it was an actual thing and then the camaros started to advertise rev down match sometime afterwards.

Is one able to turn that off? I turned off hill assist because it drove me nuts but I've never noticed the hang but I don't shift slow unless the transmission is cold. I skip 2nd when the transmission is cold because 2nd is so damn notchy when its cold (I mean 10 out degrees or lower) but it's all buttery smooth once warmed up.

Man I can't wait to get my car out. Just waiting for the temps to not drop below -1 at night and then I'll check out all the neat little things I learned over the winter

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

That's commonly referred to as rev hang, and most people dislike it since it keeps you from shifting quickly, smoothly.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
mean the Rev match/hang, he said it was in his gen 2 on up shifts. I never really noticed this
Hmmm well first gen s550 never had rev matching, and I never noticed any rev hang. Sometimes if you decel with the throttle closed the PCM will open it a little, but that ain't rev hang.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
your Gen 2 had rev matching on up shifts? I don't follow. What is up shift rev matching? Maybe I'm tired and can't process right now (I also haven't driven my car since end of october!!)
Rev matching on the upshift is exactly what you're doing when you make a "lift-foot" upshift. The revs drop back naturally toward where the higher gear needs them to be because you're momentarily off the throttle as you make the shift.

I guess these days that's "more or less naturally once the revs stop hanging" (some cars are worse about this than others). I wonder if Ford is trying a slightly different approach to eliminating the emissions spike that happens with sharply closing the throttle, or if direct injection has anything to do with it.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Can it be turned off?? Or turned off in a custom tune?
It's not a feature that can be turned off, but it can be tuned out.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Rev hang isn't unique to just S550 or even Ford - and it's not some feature to make anything easier. It's an emission / EPA "Feature". It also makes it damn near impossible to shift fast/ smooth depending on the application.

Automatic rev matching on the '19+ can be turned off via the menus from the steering wheel / info center.

I tend to engine brake - I've been daily driving stick shifts for 30+ years and I've been engine braking forever and never had an issue - from 4 cylinders to 400+ hp engines. I've heard plenty of "experts" tell me about wear and tear......the only clutches I've ever replaced was because of a broken spring on the pressure plate on one car (bought used like that - the spring finally snapped and hung up inside the clutch assembly) and replacing clutches because they didn't play well with higher power applications.

Rev matching on downshifts is something I do without thinking but mainly when I'm taking corners etc - since being smooth keeps from upsetting the suspension when entering a corner. Same reason I taught my son never to brake in a corner unless he had to because of a car or obstruction. It simply fights the suspension - set your corner entry speed before entering the turn, and accelerate through it............

But that's just me.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Rev hang isn't unique to just S550 or even Ford - and it's not some feature to make anything easier. It's an emission / EPA "Feature". It also makes it damn near impossible to shift fast/ smooth depending on the application.

Automatic rev matching on the '19+ can be turned off via the menus from the steering wheel / info center.

I tend to engine brake - I've been daily driving stick shifts for 30+ years and I've been engine braking forever and never had an issue - from 4 cylinders to 400+ hp engines. I've heard plenty of "experts" tell me about wear and tear......the only clutches I've ever replaced was because of a broken spring on the pressure plate on one car (bought used like that - the spring finally snapped and hung up inside the clutch assembly) and replacing clutches because they didn't play well with higher power applications.

Rev matching on downshifts is something I do without thinking but mainly when I'm taking corners etc - since being smooth keeps from upsetting the suspension when entering a corner. Same reason I taught my son never to brake in a corner unless he had to because of a car or obstruction. It simply fights the suspension - set your corner entry speed before entering the turn, and accelerate through it............

But that's just me.
Not just you.

Trail-braking into a corner isn't the same thing as going to your braking after you're already in the turn.

Norm

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Question I have is, do the digital dash on the '18 6MT show what gear you are in? My '19 digi dash has the option to show different things inside center of the round tachometer, one of them being gears.

Do '18 digital dash not have this available?

Also, people who retrofit the 12" IPC into the '15-'17, do they also lose out on the gear position?

I ask because, if the '18 digital IPC can show the gear of the 6MT, then the rev matching on downshift has gotta be all software between 19 and 18's.

The second question I have (to Ford) is, since my '19 6MT CAN tell what gear I am in (or that I am in gear as well as showing "N" if I put selector in center), why the heck do I not have factory remote start??? As not knowing if car is in gear seems top be the reason why we're don't have factory remote starters.
I've just had a play with forscan and mine is a retro fit IPC into 15-17 and you can activate rev matching to the cluster and the gear telltale but I can't turn it on or show the gears as I don't have the hardware, I've only read half this thread so far but it's looking like its mainly 19 gearbox related so would need to be retrofitted.

I'd be very keen for this retrofit!

IMG_20210706_193844.jpg

Sorry rubbish photo but it's a preselect option in forscan now:
IMG_20210706_193808.jpg
Sponsored