Reusable Oil Filters

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
First off, I didn't even know this was a thing until now. Does anyone here use them? www.gopurepower.com

Richard
Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Hmmmm kinda like the idea

OP
OP
mrgooden

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Hmmmm kinda like the idea
I watched a YouTube video or two, looks intriguing. I just wouldn't want to be the first to try it. They have been around awhile too.

Richard

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Huh. I'd seen these on K&N's site, turns out those are manufactured by Pure Power too. Who knew.

It's a nice idea, but quite the costly and almost impractical one. A motorcraft filter is what, $15? Compared to $250 for one of these. If you slammed one on the day you got the car and changed your oil every 3,000 miles on the dot, it pays for itself at 17 oil changes, 50,000 miles. 83,000 with 5,000 intervals.

I'd be concerned with degradation of either filter media or one of the two O-rings well before that. Might be wrong, but not for me.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'd pass.

As Konamoth pointed out, this seems to be an application geared towards large volume, fleet operations, where they are potentially going through a lot of filters.

The wire mesh inside? I wonder how it holds up over time. However nice you keep your car, the small fins of the condenser in the front grill eventually get bent here and there. I'd like to see some performance data on a new filter versus one which has been through several cycles and years of use (akin to the condenser). There has to be some degradation. How much?

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I wanted to give one a shot several years ago to try long term, but the price drove me away.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
If you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time and/or put a shit ton of miles on your vehicle the math of buying one of these for your Mustang might work out.
People that run big diesels that put a lot of hours and/or miles on their equipment could definitely save money using the oil and fuel filters over time.

OP
OP
mrgooden

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It is a shiney, i like shiney things. A+F has one too with a built in magnet, I am unsure if these do too. I am sure Ford would blame an engine loss on it in a heartbeat. Still, looks nice and if not so expensive and possible loss of warranty claim also keep me away.

Anyway, I had never seen one before so thought I'd share.

Richard

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It is a shiney, i like shiney things. A+F has one too with a built in magnet, I am unsure if these do too. I am sure Ford would blame an engine loss on it in a heartbeat. Still, looks nice and if not so expensive and possible loss of warranty claim also keep me away.

Richard
Touch'e. The engine warranty. Probably the most important thing to consider.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base

Richard
Shiny's nice. 😁

These have a magnet built in, yes. Granted, not sure how much good that does in an aluminum block, but...

It's a fun find. Definitely a needle in a haystack to find someone running one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mrgooden

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Shiny's nice. 😁

These have a magnet built in, yes. Granted, not sure how much good that does in an aluminum block, but...

It's a fun find. Definitely a needle in a haystack to find someone running one.
Valid point, it looks so nice. It is one of those dress up items that would be there, but only you know it.

Richard

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The cleaning factor alone would keep me from using it on a DD, which is what mine is. I also wonder how hard it is to get truly clean after the 10th cycle. And what harm would a poor or incomplete clean cause.
And 15 or more changes to break even, discounting the extra time, trouble and cleaning supplies, seems a bit long.
I can see applications where it's important to know what the engine is shedding but otherwise it seems very impractical to me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The cleaning factor alone would keep me from using it on a DD, which is what mine is. I also wonder how hard it is to get truly clean after the 10th cycle. And what harm would a poor or incomplete clean cause.
And 15 or more changes to break even, discounting the extra time, trouble and cleaning supplies, seems a bit long.
I can see applications where it's important to know what the engine is shedding but otherwise it seems very impractical to me.
Honestly modern engines wear so slowly it hardly matters using something like this. Even if you don't get a perfect clean, it will be more than good enough.

For me though, I just buy 12 packs of OE filters for not that much money.

OP
OP
mrgooden

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Honestly modern engines wear so slowly it hardly matters using something like this. Even if you don't get a perfect clean, it will be more than good enough.

For me though, I just buy 12 packs of OE filters for not that much money.
Wife's car uses the same filter we do, I have almost a dozen on the shelf as well

Richard

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looks like a nice quality filter. Price point is most likely fair considering the design, patents, materials and quality.

It would be good for a vehicle that sees a lot of miles, not for one that sits in the garage more than it’s driven.
Sponsored