Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
A lot of past owners would call it a turd in some ways. Not when it works though, I'll agree with that.
It's an amazing motor, I don't see any real argument with that. The fact that some "fail" has no bearing on it. I had my motor replaced due to excessive oil consumption but it still ran great.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
It's an amazing motor, I don't see any real argument with that. The fact that some "fail" has no bearing on it. I had my motor replaced due to excessive oil consumption but it still ran great.
Agreed for the most part. But, I don't blame some past owners that were down for months waiting for an engine replacement in the early days when Ford wasn't used to doing them (I and others waited upwards of two months or more). Nor the ones it has left stranded on the side of the road when it ate itself or drained all of its oil on the ground etc.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Past owner...looking at GT50 now and would more seriously if it had a manual.
Might of considered the GT50 if it had an auto. GT500 for me!!

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Well I am about to go to war with Ford now...because the dealership had my car for two weeks without doing anything, then calls me this morning and says "you have headers, that cause the engine to blow." WTF ? He said there is a hole in the side of the block. Um....really ? So headers caused that...ok. I cannot seriously believe they are trying to pull this after all the business I have done there.
Wow, that's a shitty situation to be in. Good luck dealing with the dealership man.

I'm giving up on my search for an R as well.

There are way too many dead motors without an explanation for me to take the risk on having to deal with a replacement engine and the associated time and effort that comes with that.

i'll keep an eye on the 2019, 2020 models to see if there rates of failures drop since there are supposed to have been changes made to the motor.

I'd be nervous if I owned one and the warranty was about to expire.

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hurry up. It might even blow up in your garage. Good luck selling it. No one’s going to buy a car with an engine that’s about to detonate.
That is my fear, the reputation of this model is now suspect. Nobody wants to buy a problem.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That is my fear, the reputation of this model is now suspect. Nobody wants to buy a problem.
You can give your R to me since no one will buy it. Send me a PM and I'll come get it.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I wouldn't worry about that - most people that buy Mustangs have never been on this site or youtube. I was like that once and came here drunk in the absolute love for my Mustang wanting to partake in the group sharing of this euphoric feeling/phenomenon only to be stepped on/shattered by members of this forum.

I now understand this is normal for every Mustang. I still god damn love that Mustang.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
The s197 body is way better hahaha. Hahaha hahaha hahaha funny.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have 44,100 miles on my car. It requires 1 qt every 1,250 miles if I drive it in city/spirited and 1 qt every 3,000 miles for pure highway driving. No failures, no issues. I daily drive it. The only two things breaking on this car was A/C and rear diff pinion seal. Mine has been bullet proof still original clutch that holds like day 1.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
There is a 2017 GT350 on eBay with 50,000 miles on it.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
If you had one you'd know that the integrity of the S197 was better made in general. Hoping Ford get their head out of their asses.....oh wait your's is already in their's lol.
Clearly you don't know anything about Mustangs, because everyone knows that the Mustang II had the best chassis of all time.

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Which is why I sold mine before it was. The Trinity in the last GT500 was bulletproof. Hoping for the same with the new one. The body was way better on the S197's so I'm also hoping the 500 will be better than that 350 I had.
Mine has been sitting in the garage. Driving my AMG so no complaints. Thinking I'll probably trade it in on something in 2020 as the engine seems like Ford is treating it like a one and done. Not really building on the concept, this thread is apparent as to why that may be.