Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
My oil consumption just increased. Nothing the first 2000 miles - then first oil change, 0.5 qts the next 2300 miles, then 1 qt/1500 miles to 6000 miles - second oil change. Now 1 qt the last 700 miles. If I plot this on a graph I'll be at 1 qt/100 miles soon!
Same thing for me. It was steady at about a quart every 1500-2000 miles. Then at around 9000 miles on the odometer it jumped up to about a quart every 650 miles.

That was the last straw for me. I moved on and went back to BMW. These are awesome cars and I will miss many things about it, but I reached my end with all of the quality and reliability issues. The engine/oil consumption only being one of many for me, but obviously the biggest. Good luck to the rest of you, I hope the majority of you guys have better luck than I did.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Same thing for me. It was steady at about a quart every 1500-2000 miles. Then at around 9000 miles on the odometer it jumped up to about a quart every 650 miles.

That was the last straw for me. I moved on and went back to BMW. These are awesome cars and I will miss many things about it, but I reached my end with all of the quality and reliability issues. The engine/oil consumption only being one of many for me, but obviously the biggest. Good luck to the rest of you, I hope the majority of you guys have better luck than I did.
Knock on wood I've had no other issues with my car. If oil consumption stabilizes at 1 qt/700 miles and never gets worse I'd have no problem with that. If it gets below the 1 qt/500 mile threshold, I'll take it in and request an oil consumption test. Worst case, I get a new motor.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Knock on wood I've had no other issues with my car. If oil consumption stabilizes at 1 qt/700 miles and never gets worse I'd have no problem with that. If it gets below the 1 qt/500 mile threshold, I'll take it in and request an oil consumption test. Worst case, I get a new motor.
Good luck, I hope it does stabilize and it remains trouble free.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Getting old and been quite a while since I looked at a VIN on one of my Boss/Shelby cars but do remember that the VIN is stamped on an engine pad on the drivers side and is located just above oil pan.

The VIN on the engine pad will start with the model year (F-2015, G-2016, H-2017, J-2018) and then a series of 7 numbers with the next number after the MY being a 5 which signifies a Flat Rock built car and then 6 digits indicating your consecutive build number.

If you want to confirm that your transmission is also original to your car you can locate the VIN also on the drivers side and located on the lower side of the transmission case and should be exactly the same VIN as indicated on your engine pad.

:)
Great info, thanks!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Great info, thanks!
Happy to help when I can.

Do you still have your '66 GT350 and if so can you post some pictures of it as a very cool car for sure?

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Happy to help when I can.

Do you still have your '66 GT350 and if so can you post some pictures of it as a very cool car for sure?
Still have it, owned it for 31 years. A few pics and some history on this old website I setup many years ago. One of these days I need to update it...

http://wasaac.org/dmgt350/

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Still have it, owned it for 31 years. A few pics and some history on this old website I setup many years ago. One of these days I need to update it...

http://wasaac.org/dmgt350/
What a great looking automobile along with outstanding provenance and ownership. Your website certainly still looking very good from my standpoint.

Nice to come across someone that has owned one of these early Shelby's for many decades as 31 years of ownership is certainly a long time to own and enjoy one of these great cars.

Also certainly really like the color combination as I am a Black and Red car guy for the most part.

One of my biggest regrets as an automotive enthusiast is not pulling the trigger on two '65 Shelby's that a good friend of mine owned and offered to me back in 1992 with the price tag at the time of $55,000 Canadian for each car with one of the cars being an early Venice car. I remember riding in the early car and couldn't get over the exhaust note along with the ratcheting sound of the Detroit Locker rearend.

Certainly not a Shelby but just let this car go after 24 years of ownership and it was sitting in of my son's garage not far from you in the Pacific Northwest. Hated to see it go but the time was right and went to an older fellow in Minnesota so is in good hands.

Hope that you are enjoying your new GT350 and hope to see some pictures of your two cars together sometime down the road.

:sunglasses:
DSCF1822.JPG

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

You gave it a legitimate shot Jason. I think you got your car right after I did in Jan '16. At least you won't have to worry about reliability after going German.

I've read a lot of horror stories in the last 2 1/2 years about blown engines, massive oil consumption, a/c failures, etc. I've been one of the fortunate ones, so far, with 15k on the clock and three track sessions. Plus I literally drive the crap out of it every chance. I've added only 3 qts. in that time, but I literally check the oil before every outing. This car and this forum has been a real experience for me. And I know of two guys here in N Tex that bailed because of blown engines. I hope my luck holds out. Still love the car and it still turns heads.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've been one of the fortunate ones, so far, with 15k on the clock and three track sessions.
It's been stated several times in this thread but I'm gonna repeat it again in hopes that we eventually turn the tides on the mentality about this car that the forums have created. You are not fortunate! The odds have been in your favor the entire time. Best educated guesses we've made amongst all of us puts the engine failure/replacement likelihood at 5% or less. You've had a 95% chance all this time of having a solid car. That's not luck, that's numbers. Relish in that fact and spread the great word. These things are so far from being a ticking time bomb that it ain't even funny.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's been stated several times in this thread but I'm gonna repeat it again in hopes that we eventually turn the tides on the mentality about this car that the forums have created. You are not fortunate! The odds have been in your favor the entire time. Best educated guesses we've made amongst all of us puts the engine failure/replacement likelihood at 5% or less. You've had a 95% chance all this time of having a solid car. That's not luck, that's numbers. Relish in that fact and spread the great word. These things are so far from being a ticking time bomb that it ain't even funny.
Easy now big dog. I can see I should have chosen my words a little more carefully. I concur with the statement about "ticking timebombs", They produced a shitload of these Voodoo 5.2's, and they fail at a rate way less than 5%. Like less than 1%. For a powerplant unlike any in Fords history, I think they deserve credit long overdue. If they were unreliable, I kinda doubt we'd be looking at a 4th model year production run. 5th if you count the handful sold in 2015.
Sorry I tripped your trigger. I haven't kept up with my forums much lately. Been working hard saving up for some wheels now that my tires are roasted. I've owned about 30 cars in my short life, and this one is about the best dollar value I've had. Not the fastest, but the best.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
You gave it a legitimate shot Jason. I think you got your car right after I did in Jan '16. At least you won't have to worry about reliability after going German.

I've read a lot of horror stories in the last 2 1/2 years about blown engines, massive oil consumption, a/c failures, etc. I've been one of the fortunate ones, so far, with 15k on the clock and three track sessions. Plus I literally drive the crap out of it every chance. I've added only 3 qts. in that time, but I literally check the oil before every outing. This car and this forum has been a real experience for me. And I know of two guys here in N Tex that bailed because of blown engines. I hope my luck holds out. Still love the car and it still turns heads.
Thanks, I sincerely hope all of you that have no issues continue on the same ownership experience. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case for me as I truly loved the car and will miss many things about it. The 16 was my first GT350 that spent four out of its first seven months at the shop ending in an engine replacement. Then I essentially got a behind the scenes trade assist into my 17, which was perfect the first summer and then not so much.

BMWs obviously aren’t perfect and have their issues. But, I’ve had great luck with them and when I do have an issue it hasn’t been pulling teeth to get them to fix it. No car is perfect and their are compromises in every one of them. It’s just up to the individual what they can take and what they can’t.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I sincerely hope all of you that have no issues continue on the same ownership experience. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case for me as I truly loved the car and will miss many things about it. The 16 was my first GT350 that spent four out of its first seven months at the shop ending in an engine replacement. Then I essentially got a behind the scenes trade assist into my 17, which was perfect the first summer and then not so much.

BMWs obviously aren’t perfect and have their issues. But, I’ve had great luck with them and when I do have an issue it hasn’t been pulling teeth to get them to fix it. No car is perfect and their are compromises in every one of them. It’s just up to the individual what they can take and what they can’t.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Yes. I still have my 2016. Got it New Years Eve, 2015. Hard to believe the Voodoo is in it's 5th model year of production. There are a shitload of GT350's out there. Wish you were one!

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
All I’ll say to this is that the forums didn’t create this, Ford did. I’ve been involved in quite a few different car forums and I can quite honestly say I’ve never seen a thread in any other one dedicated solely to blown engines. That says something whether you want to believe it or not.

I’m glad you’ve had great luck with your car, but a lot of us haven’t as evidenced by this thread and others I’ve seen over 2 1/2 years with a GT350 and on this forum. I really hope it continues for you because it really sucks when it goes the other way and it can change in an instant.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
All I’ll say to this is that the forums didn’t create this, Ford did. I’ve been involved in quite a few different car forums and I can quite honestly say I’ve never seen a thread in any other one dedicated solely to blown engines. That says something whether you want to believe it or not.

I’m glad you’ve had great luck with your car, but a lot of us haven’t as evidenced by this thread and others I’ve seen over 2 1/2 years with a GT350 and on this forum. I really hope it continues for you because it really sucks when it goes the other way and it can change in an instant.
So true. But I like the odds.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Easy now big dog. I can see I should have chosen my words a little more carefully. I concur with the statement about "ticking timebombs", They produced a shitload of these Voodoo 5.2's, and they fail at a rate way less than 5%. Like less than 1%. For a powerplant unlike any in Fords history, I think they deserve credit long overdue. If they were unreliable, I kinda doubt we'd be looking at a 4th model year production run. 5th if you count the handful sold in 2015.
Sorry I tripped your trigger. I haven't kept up with my forums much lately. Been working hard saving up for some wheels now that my tires are roasted. I've owned about 30 cars in my short life, and this one is about the best dollar value I've had. Not the fastest, but the best.

hahahah...it's all good bro, you totally did not trip my trigger. I'm not as emotional about it as it may have came across. I'm just a glass half full kinda guy.