Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
Didnt see mine on the list. It gave out in April at 1800 miles.
Would you please provide a little detail.

model year
Build date
Engine builders
Problems: ie..loss of oil pressure, high oil consumption, seized motor, etc.
Resolution provided by Ford?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm not in your league, but I was blown away when he said 20 plus for the lifetime of the car....:eyebulge:

I've driven reasonable/longish commuting etc (I thought) and I can't break 20 plus for a tank.
No idea how folks are getting 20, When I tried hard on a road trip, I only got 18 :lol:

JustNoize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SHELBY GT350 Grabber BLue white Stripes
2017 GT350 OIL CONSUMPTION & Dealer found COOLANT IN CYLINDERS, ford authorized Motor waiting for delivery. Taking FOREVER.

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
Did anyone ever get a yellow wrench light pop up after getting their engine replace. I have noticed the car hesitates and one time gave me a yellow wrench telling me to see manual. After I parked the car and turned it off it has not came back up again but I do feel hesitation in throttle response here and there.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
At 41 failures tracked and say 17000 built, that is still less than 0.25%

The number of failures tracked is in no way related to 17000 cars. Waaaaaay less.
Define way less then.

Over 6,000 units MY16.

Lets say comparable for MY17. 12,0000 units.

MY18 was supposed to be the final run year with a reduction of 40%...

Well the GT350 is going right into 19MY with upgrades.

But lets say only 3600 where built for MY18. Still over 15,500 and that's still much less than 0.5%.

I am not saying there isn't a problem, just trying to understand the scale, and volume is important for that.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
41 failures reported both here and other forums is not close to how many have popped. The vast majority of owners do not visit these boards. I would harbor a guess that at most 20% of owners visit.
I would agree if we where talking about a Ford focus.

Your 55k track toy breaks or starts eating oil people look into that, and join forums or facebook groups for that.

Your talking the enthusist+ trim level of an enthusist vehicle.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Numbers

Define way less then.

Over 6,000 units MY16.

Lets say comparable for MY17. 12,0000 units.

MY18 was supposed to be the final run year with a reduction of 40%...

Well the GT350 is going right into 19MY with upgrades.

But lets say only 3600 where built for MY18. Still over 15,500 and that's still much less than 0.5%.

I am not saying there isn't a problem, just trying to understand the scale, and volume is important for that.
A few years ago, a “fun” sideline to my normal stressed out income generation, I took over advertising for my friend’s fairly small sports car dealership (mostly vette’s). As part of his advertising, I enrolled him as a second tire advertiser and vendor on the Corvette Forum, which is the hands down largest online Corvette Forum. In working with their advertising people, I was told that typically 5-7 percent of all Vette owners are forum members. Right now it looks like the forum has about 33,000 members and theire are about 750,000 Vettes registered. Point is, my original frequency count exercise only counted failures posted in the MUSTANG6G Shelby GT350 forum. The spreadsheet exercise (btw great job!) is only listing reported failures on this and a few other Shelby GT350 forums.

So, you simply cannot, at this juncture, relate these Shelby Forum members to the entire population (17k?) of sold vehicles. The spreadsheet numbers are a further evolution of my original frequency count exercise. At the very least,
we could make a bit more sense of the numbers by determining the total number of Shelby GT350 members in all the forums data is being collected from. And yes, it is true that although (as I mentioned before) the membership population itself appears significantly diverse, people who have suffered engine failure are more motivated to respond.

Speaking for myself only, and based on some personal inquiries I have been making, my own opinion is that the number of failures is likely to be of significance. Again this is my opinion, and that opinion is not strictly related
to Either the frequency count or spreadsheet data posted to-date.

Just my opinion. Perhaps when I get back from TDY, I will delve into it further.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
A few years ago, a “fun” sideline to my normal stressed out income generation, I took over advertising for my friend’s fairly small sports car dealership (mostly vette’s). As part of his advertising, I enrolled him as a second tire advertiser and vendor on the Corvette Forum, which is the hands down largest online Corvette Forum. In working with their advertising people, I was told that typically 5-7 percent of all Vette owners are forum members. Right now it looks like the forum has about 33,000 members and theire are about 750,000 Vettes registered. Point is, my original frequency count exercise only counted failures posted in the MUSTANG6G Shelby GT350 forum. The spreadsheet exercise (btw great job!) is only listing reported failures on this and a few other Shelby GT350 forums.

So, you simply cannot, at this juncture, relate these Shelby Forum members to the entire population (17k?) of sold vehicles. The spreadsheet numbers are a further evolution of my original frequency count exercise. At the very least,
we could make a bit more sense of the numbers by determining the total number of Shelby GT350 members in all the forums data is being collected from. And yes, it is true that although (as I mentioned before) the membership population itself appears significantly diverse, people who have suffered engine failure are more motivated to respond.

Speaking for myself only, and based on some personal inquiries I have been making, my own opinion is that the number of failures is likely to be of significance. Again this is my opinion, and that opinion is not strictly related

Just my opinion. Perhaps when I get back from TDY, I will delve into it further.
That's a good point. But a S550 GT350 isn't a Corvette.

Lets be honest Corvette owners represent a wide age group. And that greatly effects the digital footprint. M6G and the SVT forums are go to places for these vehicles from a forum standpoint.

Even at 8x the failures capture here your looking at around 2% failure rate using 15,500 units. NSHTA might have some interesting info aswell.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I would guess the failure rate as a percent of members would be higher on the forum than off. Maybe equal. It's definitely not less

Last edited:

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
Perhaps when I get back from TDY, I will delve into it further.
If you're interested in collaborating on the spreadsheet exercise (taking turn to update the spreadsheet as we come across additional cases) please let me know.

I'm new to the forum (joined days ago) and the spreadsheet is even younger and that's how much data I've gathered...pretty significant.

I ride motorcycles and have owned my share of Yamaha R1s, several Ducatis, zr6r, Hondas. I tracked all my motorcycles. As for cars I've owned 3Nissans, 1 Lexus, 3 Toyota, 2 Acura, 1 Mercedes, 1 Buick, several trucks including and 454SS,.I even had the awesome 1980 Pontiac Sunbird. ..and from all these (there wasn't a forum for the mighty Sunbird) forums combined this is the first time I've seen so many documented cases of engine failures.

The only other vehicle that developed a familiar pattern is the Nissan gtr with the driveshaft play, which Nissan did finally address I believe in 2012 and later years.

Point is, where there is smoke there is usually fire.