Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was a former of a E92 M3 with its famous S65 V8 that revved to 8400 rpm. Not FPC but it had its unique ITBs. But anyways, as I m sure you may have heard (if not just google S65 rod bearing), that engine has had the rod bearing problem where between the years of 2012-2015, bimmerpost on average would have 1 thread per week average about engine failures (note: not all threads were new but mostly updates). The issue became so common that a new indy sector was born just to upgrade the rod bearings of these engines ($3000-5000 job depending on the location). With absolutely ZERO acknowledgement from BMW, people even started a class action lawsuit. Nothing happened as nothing will ever happen.
Not trying to blame the customer here but wasn't that really an issue with guys not warming up the car though? Because the S65 basically IS a race engine. The tolerances are insanely tight. You can't just get in with 90 degree oil temps and go for it. Even low to mid 100's you'd have to baby it until the oil pressure came down.

Well, point here, there's 6 E92 M3's at my local autocross chapter and they're all over 80,000 miles except for one. No bearing issues. Although I'm not trying to defend it either because to say it wasn't happening is absurd.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Mr. Ed said:
Owners therefore expect the car to be suitable for extended runs at higher RPM's than you could possibly do, on a consistant basis on the street...if there is an issue with the OPG, that is where you are going to see the majority of failures.
My engine popped at ~50% WOT conditions on track (first track day at 2300 miles). Sessions are <= 25 minutes...Proper break-in. No drag style launching...The engine should easily accomplish that effort.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Well....it happened to me today at the track. 3,000 miles. Was not pushing it when it happened. Rod thrown through the oil pan. Had the oil changed a few weeks ago and I checked the oil before I went to the track. It is sitting waiting for a tow truck to tack it to my service dealer.
IMG_2638_engine_1.jpg
IMG_2638_engine_2.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, bummer. I don't think you need a teardown to figure out what happened there.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Wow, bummer. I don't think you need a teardown to figure out what happened there.
Yep. I beginning to think this post from page 1 was this issue:

"My local dealer has 2 gt350's that are having engines replaced. Was told that they were exhibiting major oil consumption due to out of round cylinders. No details on the year, mileage or if it was an "R"."

Wondering if an out of round cylinder would cause this.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Well....it happened to me today at the track. 3,000 miles. Was not pushing it when it happened. Rod thrown through the oil pan. Had the oil changed a few weeks ago and I checked the oil before I went to the track. It is sitting waiting for a tow truck to tack it to my service dealer.
Sorry to hear, hopefully they get it back on the road for you soon.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yep. I beginning to think this post from page 1 was this issue:

"My local dealer has 2 gt350's that are having engines replaced. Was told that they were exhibiting major oil consumption due to out of round cylinders. No details on the year, mileage or if it was an "R"."

Wondering if an out of round cylinder would cause this.
I believe low or no oil pressure is one of the causes, which brings us back to the OPG debate. OPG takes a dump, bearings spin and rods are thrown.

Other things could cause this as well, but we are talking about cars with low miles, so I highly doubt worn out parts. "not pushing it when it happened", so I don't think it was a money shift either. Only ford will know when they tear it apart.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The thrown rod could be anywhere along the failure trajectory, no?
If you are saying that knowing a rod let loose doesn't absolve the oil pump from being a possible failure source (or dirt somewhere else in the system that robbed the rod bearing of lubrication, or a bad rod bolt, or an out of tolerance bearing shell, etc. etc.), I agree. There are many, many possible issues that could end up with the rod failing without the rod itself being the root cause.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Damn that sucks! If a component has a flaw or bad lubrication, it will fail eventually regardless of the RPM. My track pack engine went bad at under4k RPM.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Damn that sucks! If a component has a flaw or bad lubrication, it will fail eventually regardless of the RPM. My track pack engine went bad at under4k RPM.
I also noticed I had very little in my catch cans after tracking multiple times. Wonder if this was a tell tell sign of lack of lubrication?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I also noticed I had very little in my catch cans after tracking multiple times. Wonder if this was a tell tell sign of lack of lubrication?
Who knows dude! I just know what you're going through since I also lost an engine. I hope they get you back on the road as soon as possible.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That depends really. I've had times where I didn't get much in my catch can after a sprint of autocross or track days. Then normal every day driving the thing was stuffed full. Right now I'm about 1/3 full and I've been doing a lot of short driving unfortunately but my autocross season is in full swing so we'll see. Sorry to see the bad luck. That is gnarly though. I would assume Ford will take care of you because.

There's a GT350 in my local dealership that has gone through two engines in 1500 miles. HOWEVER, he's also kind of a douche nozzle and I saw him rip out of the dealership once. Car wasn't warmed up and just hammered it like an asshole. Tire spin, squirming around...just being a dick. Supposedly there's also video of him doing sustained burnouts and the oil temp gauge is clearly not up to temp. I can't confirm this though, which is kinda hearsay until I do so take it as you will. But that's the story.