Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
I know what statistical significance is and how to ascertain it, I spent my career in life sciences R&D. That's why I asked the question - I was wondering if you had some real data on the voodoo motor vs comparative failure rates on similar high output motors.
FWIW, given I am taking a brief respite between assignments and it is a dreary rainy day here, I gathered a smidgen of anecdotal info to satisfy my own curiosity. Of course, you already know that "real data on the VooDoo motor vs comparative failures on similar high output motors" does not exist (or more likely is not available to the general public) in the way you defined it. I don't know what a "similar high output motor" is defined as. If it is an engine that is marketed to the general public as a warrantied street legal automobile sold to the public through a dealership, to me, it should be comparable to any other car sold that way.

So the following is anecdotal, not meant to be scientific, data. The site says that there are 303 people that claim to own GT350s. I went through this thread and counted everyone who said they personally owned a car which had the engine replaced and a very few who stated that they had personal knowledge of an engine replacement. Some posts referred to knowledge of additional engine failures, but I excluded them as being not as directly knowledgeable of those episodes. This was a subjective decision on my part - again as an anecdotal exercise.

Given my selection criteria against this thread only, 17 engine failures were tallied. That is approximately a 5.5% failure rate, given the membership = 303.

Again, no attempt here to define this as a statistically significant number, just an interesting one. There are simply too many variables and unknowns that would be needed to confer statistical significance. Also, these numbers SHOULD NOT be extrapolated out to make any assumptions about relevancy of these instances among 303 members to however many of these cars are ultimately produced.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
YuP! What ^^ said

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No one knows what the main cause of the lot of engines have been for... unless you have some insight the rest of us aren’t privy to.
Perhaps you misunderstand my question or I was not clear. I am not privy to any info and it is certain you are more knowledgeable than I about motor vehicle. I am speculating as we have a concern on longevity and my only question is would primary OPG failure present as progressive oil consumption (which is the reason many engine replacements on this forum have occurred) or as catastrophic failure. It seems that primary OPG failure is the bogey man here with some stating they'll replace it with a billet type when their warranty is out and I just wonder how warranted that concern is.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Perhaps you misunderstand my question or I was not clear. I am not privy to any info and it is certain you are more knowledgeable than I about motor vehicle. I am speculating as we have a concern on longevity and my only question is would primary OPG failure present as progressive oil consumption (which is the reason many engine replacements on this forum have occurred) or as catastrophic failure. It seems that primary OPG failure is the bogey man here with some stating they'll replace it with a billet type when their warranty is out and I just wonder how warranted that concern is.
like post #160, i don't think the OPG failure can present as progressive oil consumption. 2 different types of failure...one being very quick and to the point, the other a very slow death

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
See!? That's how rumors get started. There has not been one verified OPG failure on an unmodified 5.2 L Voodoo motor. The OPG is not the boogeyman. The OPG could cause catastrophic failure but oil consumption is not a symptom of a failing or failed OPG.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
See!? That's how rumors get started. There has not been one verified OPG failure on an unmodified 5.2 L Voodoo motor. The OPG is not the boogeyman. The OPG could cause catastrophic failure but oil consumption is not a symptom of a failing or failed OPG.
He was just asking a question. There are actually zero verified reasons except for Joe's for any of the engine failures AFAIK since Ford isn't saying anything.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
He was just asking a question. There are actually zero verified reasons except for Joe's for any of the engine failures AFAIK since Ford isn't saying anything.
totally argree. I recall a post not that long ago that stated "main bearing failure" yet the tech did not physically remove the oil pan. It was more an assumption based on (historically speaking) a "running" engine with no oil pressure was due to a bearing failure.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
So the simple answer if possibly engine failure is due to low oil and most (not all) voodoo engines seem to use oil would have been to put a low oil light or some kind of warning if oil gets below a certain level. I think maybe I read some where that the 5.0 Mustang has warning. DUH!

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
So the simple answer if possibly engine failure is due to low oil and most (not all) voodoo engines seem to use oil would have been to put a low oil light or some kind of warning if oil gets below a certain level. I think maybe I read some where that the 5.0 Mustang has warning. DUH!
Who besides Ford knows just find it interesting, I know this style of pump has been around a long time and last without issue regardless of being forged cast or powdered metal.

I also find it sad that many of us need a low oil level indicator when we have a dipstick granted placement and readings are bit challenging but not complicated.

Until Ford releases information or someone tears down the engine before going to Ford I do not think any of us will really know.

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
^^THIS^^:cheers:

It is the way of the future! AUTOMATION. Quick!!!!! Let's file a class action law suit!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^THIS^^:cheers:

It is the way of the future! AUTOMATION. Quick!!!!! Let's file a class action law suit!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm sure that's the reason that the information isn't forthcomimg.

Rhyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Do we have any information if Ford altered or will change anything for later MY2018/2019 cars? Could have sworn I read a post on this forum about some internal changes Ford did on Voodoo production..

Just like several other people on this board, I plan on keeping this car for life and I can sit and wait a bit for a potential factory fix if Ford's got something cooking in the pipeline.

I understand the finicky nature of high performance cars but logically, the last MY of a car should have all the potential fixes that a manufacturer could/would introduce in the assembly line.

Either way, looks like I'll probably want to snag up an extended warranty, and keep an eye out for billet OPGs in the future. :cheers:

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Do we have any information if Ford altered or will change anything for later MY2018/2019 cars? Could have sworn I read a post on this forum about some internal changes Ford did on Voodoo production..

Just like several other people on this board, I plan on keeping this car for life and I can sit and wait a bit for a potential factory fix if Ford's got something cooking in the pipeline.

I understand the finicky nature of high performance cars but logically, the last MY of a car should have all the potential fixes that a manufacturer could/would introduce in the assembly line.

Either way, looks like I'll probably want to snag up an extended warranty, and keep an eye out for billet OPGs in the future. :cheers:
There has not been any confirmation or talk of engine improvements to my knowledge. Ya, you'll want to get that Extended coverage. It had jacked up by x3, two months before I had bought my GT350 in November 2017.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 is built and advertised as track ready. Owners therefore expect the car to be suitable for extended runs at higher RPM's than you could possibly do, on a consistant basis on the street. Ford should expect that as well. However, they apparently are using the same OPG in the Coyote engine as the GT350. Yet, Ford puts a billet OPG in the 5.2L Aluminator. On the track, if there is an issue with the OPG, that is where you are going to see the majority of failures. A technical service bulletin to replace the OPG in all GT350s would be a major cost due to complexity, probably more than the % of engines they are having to replace on cars people track.
Fixed